Someone is optmistic

Help Support CattleToday:

The US has been killing more cattle week after week over last year, I don't believe there are that many more cattle as the weights are down, so they are flooding the market to force prices down. That can only last so long though. People will hold them longer and they eventually get cleaned out.

'The US kill number was up at 634,000 head versus 641,000 the previous week and 602,000 a year a go. This is a very large kill compared to weekly numbers over the last few years. Weights for steers were up 9 lbs over last week at 877 (913 last year at this time) and heifers were 807.'

'The US kill number was up at 627,000 head versus 622,000 the previous week and 580,000 a year a go. This is a very large kill compared to weekly numbers over the last few years. Weights for steers were up 8 lbs over last week at 868 (901 last year at this time) and heifers were 803.'

The talk here is that prices are going to stay low and even drop. Last week they were down a little at the local sale. Next week is Labor day so not a good friday to check out prices as it is usually off on holiday weekends. Maybe it will get better as fall comes around a bit, but I personally don't look for it. I said back this summer that I thought is would stay the same or get weaker. There is alot of grumbling in the dairy industry as the milk prices are not rebounding like it was originally forecast and I look for more farmers to just say enough and get out. That will push cull cow prices and even the feeders will suffer for the short term.
Don't know what the effects of the hurricane in Texas will have, and I hope none of those guys lose cattle, but it will probably happen, just to what extent who knows at this point.