Somehow they know when you are unarmed

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I had to get right up on this sow to get her to move. I took this picture and had time to text it to my husband. The pig just sat there. I had to move in on her to get her going. Wondered if she was injured.

But, this is why. Not sure why she has just one. Maybe its her willingness to leave the baby hanging. She ran right off without it. Bless its little heart.

I hate it when that happens! Over a year ago, I drove up on a boar wallowing in one of our ponds. I got within thirty yards and all he did was walk off casually.

TexasBred":2jhxl5cc said:
Catch the pig if you can...use it for bait....kill mama and baby. Nothing but a nuisance.
Easier said than done. That little rascal was fast. And, even though small, they have sharp tusk they know how to use.

piglets of all kinds are cute, but I couldn't imagine having wild boars around and what kind of a pain it would be... I've got my hands full with bears, crows, deer, pigeons, rats and mice. Thankfully our resident ravens are "good guys" and the eagles have never bothered us either. I shot a starling the other day and it flopped and squawked on the ground for a few seconds, and suddenly the raven came out of nowhere and picked it up... He's got a nest somewhere close.. I saw him chasing a bald eagle off this morning.

cowgirl8":5q8gpfbz said:
TexasBred":5q8gpfbz said:
Catch the pig if you can...use it for bait....kill mama and baby. Nothing but a nuisance.
Easier said than done. That little rascal was fast. And, even though small, they have sharp tusk they know how to use.
Kill the baby...the others will come back and eat it.

I really hated that i bothered them. My guys can go back pick her off before she'll hear them. I bet they go back in the morning and hope she or more are there. Thats our hay fields and we dont go over there much unless its time to bale.

cowgirl8":17rnsu3m said:
I really hated that i bothered them. My guys can go back pick her off before she'll hear them. I bet they go back in the morning and hope she or more are there. Thats our hay fields and we dont go over there much unless its time to bale.
Need to do something. Hogs can ruin a good hayfield. Will look like it's been bombed.

I know that wild pigs are bad and all, but I couldn't "kill that baby". Just too soft I guess.......I could darn sure relocate it, but I doubt there is any place to relocate it to. Guess I would loose some hay!

I can shoot a big pig, but not the babies. I'm not as good a shot as my guys are, so usually what i do is scout. i try not to disturb them so my guys can sneak up and get them. I see them in the distance and i call and tell them which end to come in according to the wind. We get rid of more pigs this way. BUT, if i had a gun that day i would have popped a cap into that pasture flea..

branguscowgirl":2g8kxpb8 said:
I know that wild pigs are bad and all, but I couldn't "kill that baby". Just too soft I guess.......I could darn sure relocate it, but I doubt there is any place to relocate it to. Guess I would loose some hay!
I think here it's actually against the law to relocate (as in move and turn loose). The dam things are taking over the state and doing multi-millions of damages to crops, pastures and even livestock....and they carry diseases. That little "piggy" will be bred and having a liter in about 6 months.

TexasBred":32w7adwt said:
branguscowgirl":32w7adwt said:
I think here it's actually against the law to relocate (as in move and turn loose). The dam things are taking over the state and doing multi-millions of damages to crops, pastures and even livestock....and they carry diseases. That little "piggy" will be bred and having a liter in about 6 months.
I know they are bad.....I just have trouble killing things! I have been treating a sick chicken for 2 months!!! :hide:

On time our son brought us 12- 100 pounders.. We cooked a few, gave a few away, dumped the rest. I roast them, pull the meat off and then smoke. I then can them up into pint jars. Perfect amount for my husband and i for a meal. Its a lot of work, but worth it. I like the 80 to 100 pound range...mainly because i can fit the whole carcass into my oven if i separate the front and back..

Latest posts