Some Spring calf shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I was out enjoying the evening tonight heat checking, and snapped a few photos since the babies were being friendly! Thought I would share a few!

This first photo is an embryo bull calf, Feb born (we call him Pres or Bush, since he was born on President's day). He is a Lock N Load x SS U Misti Nights, a set of embryos I bought at Lazy H. All three eggs stuck, I have one coming in September and the last coming in January.
IMG_3607_s.jpg

This next photo is his but shot, along with another embryo calf.
IMG_3600_s.jpg

This next photo is the heifer's butt above. She is a January Steel Force x REN Extra Nice embryo. She has a white face, and a great personality. Her flush brother and two half brothers won the Pen of 3 bulls in Denver this year. We put in three eggs, and all three stuck but one aborted at 130 days so just one more calf coming. I hope for another heifer!
IMG_3584_s.jpg

This next heifer is another embryo, Dream On x ETR Ebony Antoinette. She was born in Jan and is a 3/4 sib to the great bull Built Right. No white on her, and we have a flush brother that was born in the fall and looks pretty good too.
IMG_3583_s.jpg

This photo is a butt shot of three bulls. The one on the far right is a Christmas baby, and a 3/4 blood. His brother won State Fair last year (same dam, different sire). The bull in the middle is a Jan born Broker bull calf, with a big white face! The one on the far left is an Analyze this out of a first calf heifer. Jury is still out on him.
IMG_3613_s.jpg

This last shot is the December bull. We are sending him to town next week, just do not need to keep an odd birthday bull around and he was 100 pounds at birth so he goes, plus he is not an AI sired calf. He is pretty great, but he will make a fantastic steer! We need to run him across the scale, but I bet he is all of 600 pounds. Just grass! His dam is one of my top cows.
IMG_3615_s.jpg

FSR, Is the third one Ronnie? That first picture is interesting. As was commented on in the "Bull Condition" thread, photos often distort or at least are not flattering. The first picture is what you rarely see, it looks like the Lock n Load bull is distorted in a manner that he appears unbalanced to be bigger in the hind quarters than he is in the front. Also, looks like his back slopes from a high at the posterior to a low at the anterior.

Am I in danger of becoming one of the pesty critters that cannot keep his dam mouth shut??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Anne said, Chunky Monkeys. It is amazing what genetics can do.

BTW: The fourth one down looks "roach backed".

Oh, shyt. Now I've done. :D

Before anyone gets all upset. Please know FSR and I are friends. But there are problems with her cattle. :lol: :help:

I want to add, that the fifth one down has too big of a butt. Looks like some you see at the Maysville Wal-Mart. :D

BTW: FSR, you need to learn your seasons. Spring starts March 21. Those December calves are either fall or winter. Winter starts December 21. So most of these are winter calves. Or did you mean the pictures are taken in the spring. If that is what you mean, change the title to "Some Summer calf shots". :lol:

Isn't this great. How easy it is to be critical.

I knew these would be nice when I saw it was Fire Sweep, thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys for the compliments. It is pretty amazing what you can do with embryo genetics! Not one of those embryos were more than $350, so I think we did pretty good. I am a bargain shopper when it comes to embryos and semen :) and that last bull calf is pretty nice for a market calf, and we owned both the dam and sire at one time. The bad thing about selling your bulls young is when you use one a few times before he is sold, and later like his genetics, he is already gone!!!
Ron, my cattle are honest. As I stated in my original thread, theses were taken with my phone.... No setting them up or posing for the perfect position. I know when people some see my cattle in person to buy, what they see is better than the original picture I sent that piqued their interest in the first place. That is my goal. I know you are playing around, but be careful. Criticizing my cattle, even in jest, is bordering on rudeness. One thread might be funny, but three is getting excessive.
Just saying....
Oh, and in my industry, spring calves start January 1st. Remember, we show on the side... And a fall calf is one born between September 1 and December 31st. Spring is January to May, and Summer is June to August. Look at any show program.... And I was not about to start a second thread just for the bull calf leaving my place next week, and only 2 weeks older, just because he is a "fall"... :roll:

And no, the third one down is not Ronnie. Ronnie is a Fall, October born, already weaned and in the show pasture. All of the above calves are still on their dams, since they are only 4 to 5 months old.

I wonder who does take criticism of their cattle positively. Whether accurate or inaccurrate. In the show ring or out. Two of the noteworthy families in this area, you know them both, dissolved lifelong family friendships when one family member was at a National stock show and was judging an entry from the other family. The owners of the entry had commented in person to the individual that was judging that they had the most elite heifer in the US. When the show was over, that entry came in third. You know how that went down.

Kris, I should have put these comments all in one post. Just kidding.

It does demonstate how ridiculas some of these evaluations get.

Poor Blue, no wonder he pees on your leg! Good dog!!!

BTW, I took my good camera out today when I did heat checks this morning, but did not realize I had the setting wrong on it so most of the photos are washed out (too much sun???). But, I did get this pic of the Broker embryo bull calf standing in the shade. He is a January, sired by Broker out of TNC Sweet Dreams (Tommy Cline's good donor cow). I liked him when he hit the ground, so I bought 3 more eggs of that mating. If he was a heifer, he would be perfect! But, he is not bad as a bull. I would like to see more mass, but his recip dam is not the most giving in the milk department, and I am thinking when we wean him and start him on feed he will explode. Time will tell. We have an embryo coming in January, so hoping for a heifer just like him!!!
broker_june_14.jpg

Good Simmies! Really like the Steel Force heifer in front of the atv, I myself love those white underlines. Looks like she'll make a heck of a cow one day.

Kris the calves look great............and don't pay any attn. to Ron,he's been drinkin again!

BTW I agree with you Poor Blue!

3waycross":p66yvdfa said:
Kris the calves look great............and don't pay any attn. to Ron,he's been drinkin again!

:clap: :clap: :lol: ;-)

BTW I agree with you Poor Blue!

:cry2:

People should be proud of their cattle. Remember the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Remember Doobby the taxi driver:

Nel: Where is the Motel?

Del: Hey, Doobby. Much further to the motel?

Doobby: Not much.

Nel: But we're still on the interstate.

Del: Hey Doobby. Why are me taking the interstate? Isn't it closer to take the direct route.

Doobby: Yea, but I thought you would want to take a look at the town.

Nel: It's the middle of the night.

Del: I know, I know. But he is proud of his town. That's a dam rare thing these days.

I don't know if it is a dam rare thing to be proud of our cattle but we are. :D

Latest posts