Some Pictures...

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Have a bit of time this afternoon, so thought I'd share a few pictures.

IMG_4982sm_zpszpiir7e1.jpg

BA heifer with her first calf, a 69 lb heifer. Not a great picture - she wasn't too happy with me trying to picture her & her new baby.

IMG_5118sm_zpsgzi82lwx.jpg

Peak A Boo

IMG_5142sm_zpsowvfezxo.jpg

4 yr BA old cow with her 3rd calf, a bull.

IMG_5137sm_zpsvr1ygbkm.jpg

7 yr old Commercial 3/4 Angus 1/4 Sim cow. She's an idiot & the only reason she gets to stay is because she raises a heck of a good calf. We don't keep very many high headed ones around, but if we leave her at home & do as little as possible with her she is tolerable. Kept a heifer out of her last year and if she works out & has a better attitude this girl will probably hit the road.

IMG_5113sm_zpsip82rznc.jpg

cute little RA bull calf

IMG_5122sm_zpsy14wedsq.jpg

RA heifer calf

IMG_5110sm_zpsa792tvbg.jpg

playing in the trees

IMG_5108sm_zpsccnhccxu.jpg

another RA bull calf

IMG_5083sm_zpsehdmtcbg.jpg

Bull calf - Gelbvieh x SimX cow

IMG_4965sm_zps7n0s8ldg.jpg

RA pair

IMG_5034sm_zpsp2la3k2t.jpg

Heifer calf - Gelbvieh x CharX cow

IMG_4995sm_zpsr2xoujna.jpg

one of my favorite commercial cows.

IMG_4957sm_zpsfqefkvak.jpg

Thought it was cute how the tan calf was getting a suck with the red calf laying contently right between his legs.

IMG_4948sm_zpsszl1n056.jpg

This girl looks like she feels about the same as she looks - rough! That's her 2nd calf & she won't turn 3 until July 2nd. She calved mid April last year and about a week earlier this year. We will keep the odd late born heifer calf, but they get treated the same & turned out with the bull at the time same as the older heifers. Sometimes they don't look very good till they are much older, but quite often they turn into pretty good cows. This one is definitely not a front pasture type cow...

IMG_5093sm_zpszwlvpubf.jpg

I know she's not perfect but this is probably my favorite BA cow on the farm. She's raised two nice bull calves so far & has a heifer this year that I hope turns out. She could use a touch more frame to suit most people, but I kinda like short, dumpy cows ;-)

I think I got a little carried away with the pictures (as usual...) so I will stop there. Time to do another cow check anyway!

I gotta say (and I know it's not a contest) creekdrive has the overall best cattle on here. Well done!

Thanks for the nice comments. Haven't had a chance to get back on here to reply for a few days, but I definitely appreciate the comments. I don't always feel like I have a lot to contribute, other than pictures.

Lazy M":202mnus3 said:
I gotta say (and I know it's not a contest) creekdrive has the overall best cattle on here. Well done!

Lazy M you are going to make my head swell :oops: Thank you!
There is a lot of people with exceptional animals on this board. I really enjoy seeing pictures of other peoples cattle, farms & set ups.

A couple more pictures that I snapped tonight:
IMG_5232sm_zpslr17rsre.jpg

Little calf decided to take on big calf (a late January born)

IMG_5233sm_zpsyalel30v.jpg

IMG_5234sm_zpsxsgpqvmc.jpg

looks like size does matter in this case ;-)

IMG_5327sm_zpsy8h0psca.jpg

On Sunday we vaccinated & hauled 20 pairs back to some stubble. Put a couple bales out for them too, but they seem content just to do some picking. Quite a bit of grass growing up in the bush, especially for this time of year (lots of years we still have snow). We need moisture of some kind though, whether it be rain or snow (don`t matter to me, I`m not fussy!), as it is very dry...

And some nosey replacement heifers as I was coming up the driveway:
IMG_5418sm_zpsm99ymcpu.jpg

IMG_5419sm_zpsoqmnxwxz.jpg

Kingfisher":2vao2sqy said:
How are those mommas such "tanks" on that "grass?" Genetics? They look really happy! :)
For the most part they are pretty easy keepers, but not so easy that they could survive on that "grass". ;-) They are still being fed hay daily. Most days we will roll out 7-9 round bales a day, just based on how they look & what they have leftover from the previous day. They get greenfeed bales, mixed grass hay & alfalfa. Lots of winters we will also supplement with grain (oats, barley, screenings etc. whatever we have in the bin available) to save on bales. This year however the winter has been so mild, and we had lots of greenfeed bales so we haven't really needed to supplement. About once a week we've been giving them some oats for a treat, but they haven't even got that for a couple of weeks. Hopefully by the beginning of May the pastures will be growing up and we'll be able to haul some out & stop feeding so many. Last year the grass was really slow to start growing & we fed into June. Hopefully we get some rain soon & we won't have to do that again...

Kingfisher":2vao2sqy said:
What are those red ones? Where did you get them?
Some of the red ones are purebred Angus (Black & Red are the same breed up here). Some are just commercial cows. Some we have bought at the auction, but usually we just raise our own. Almost all of the Red Angus descend from my husbands grandparents herd that they started back in the late 80's.

Ky hills":2vao2sqy said:
Very nice cattle. I especially like that white face heifer. :tiphat:
Thank you! That white face heifer actually belongs to my husbands little brother (who is really not so little anymore - 6'4" & 340 lbs in Grade 11). He lives in town with his parents, but comes out quite often to help on the farm & is building himself up a nice little herd of cows.

creekdrive":3ml8rnl5 said:
That white face heifer actually belongs to my husbands little brother (who is really not so little anymore - 6'4" & 340 lbs in Grade 11)

6'4 and 340??? In 11th grade? Wow. He must be much of a man.

As always, great pics and beautiful cattle.

Latest posts