some people

Help Support CattleToday:

kjones

Reaction score
So I moved all eight of my cattle up to the front of the property so I can have all of the gates leading from the hay field open when hauling. I decided to leave them for a few extra weeks. One day I was out feeding when the neighbor that lives across the street from where they were came over to the fence. He caught my attention so he could let me know that the bull's bellering,was bothering him and his wife and asks how long they will be there. I replied that would depend on the weather. He then told me he some times runs over to the fence swinging a stick at them to scare them off. I told him he might not want to do that. He says "Oh they just run away".To that is said they just might decide not to sometime and no fence would hold an angry bull. I don't think he understood. The whole time this is going on, he didn't once mention anything about his other neighbors cattle next door and behind him. Hmm. I'm thinking he should just move to a city with nice quiet buses and taxi's.

The city has moved to the country. I would have a serious problem with someone messing with my cattle like that.

One day I was trying to move one of my mommas out of the barn but she was being a little protective of her calf so I was being extra careful. Our hired hand came over and stood on the fence, started swinging his arms/hollering at her (thinking he was helping me)... I told him to get the H_LL OFF my gate and out of my pen!!! He laughed and thought I was joking til I said "I'm not joking YOU #$?! MORON...get away from my cow!!". He grew up with cows and ALWAYS teased me about the way I handled mine... all I had to do was calmly walk around the back side of her and she went but he was fixin to get her AND me hurt by being stupid. I almost wished she'd charged that fence and knocked him on his ash.

We had two high school boys clearing some fence row and my wife witnessed one of them throwing rocks at our cows while trying to get them to back away from a gate so they could drive through. They didn't have a job the next day.

If I had a bull bellering outside my window when I was trying to relax or sleep I would raise a little H myself. If he moved in from the city that would be a different story. He moved into an existing condition.
My kid just got into playing the drums. When he woke me up I went out with a big stick and imformed him of the results if he did it again. I cannot say I blame the guy a bit. He could have called the cops on you.

I love it when these guys move out to the country to get a little peace and quiet and then complain about noises and smells.

Bulls bellering beats gunfire any day in my book. Sure, it's annoying, but that's the price you pay.

novatech":39b0gznk said:
If I had a bull bellering outside my window when I was trying to relax or sleep I would raise a little H myself. If he moved in from the city that would be a different story. He moved into an existing condition.
My kid just got into playing the drums. When he woke me up I went out with a big stick and imformed him of the results if he did it again. I cannot say I blame the guy a bit. He could have called the cops on you.

Round here the local deputies would laugh long and hard about a noise complaint due to cattle. :lol2:

thats the thing when dang cityslickers move to the country.they think they can tell the cattlemen what todo.thats the reason you need to own as much land as you can no neighbors.

Ok. novatech. A couple of things to clarify here. 1. The cattle were not right outside his window. You must have missed where I said across the street. 2. My property is zoned ag 2 meaning agricultural usage(ie cattle and crops) and has been since this type of zoning was instituted in the late sixties. 3. There is no county or state ordinance addressing livestock making noise. Dogs yes, cattle no. There are however laws regarding harassing somebodies animals. So he wasn't the one that could have called the cops.

kjones----> got any friends with donkeys that would use your pasture for a couple weeks?LOL Then he could really enjoy having a bull beller instead of an _ _ _. Or you may be able to get a peacok or some guinea fowl and really welcome him to the neighborhood. I am afraid we maybe in for a similar situation but hopefully not.

kjones":2mwsx66m said:
Ok. novatech. A couple of things to clarify here. 1. The cattle were not right outside his window. You must have missed where I said across the street. 2. My property is zoned ag 2 meaning agricultural usage(ie cattle and crops) and has been since this type of zoning was instituted in the late sixties. 3. There is no county or state ordinance addressing livestock making noise. Dogs yes, cattle no. There are however laws regarding harassing somebodies animals. So he wasn't the one that could have called the cops.
True...by any chance does your state Farm Bureau have signs available that tell the city people that you have a farm/ranch and that noise, dust, and smells are common and there's nothing they can do about it? We have them posted in the corner of the farm and we also had a larger one that we made to scare off potential lot buyers when our neighboring farm was bought by a developer. They worked. :lol: :) :lol:

kjones":28yeqw3n said:

Sorry there is a road separating the bull from the window. Sorry you have no consideration for others and have more feelings toward your bull being upset because someone waved a stick at him. You have 4 legged hamburger you should be rid of in a few years on, one hand, and on the other hand you have a neighbor that may be there forever and you vote for the hamburgers feelings. Could it be that the right thing to do is separate that bull for a couple of days to another location. He is probably only doing it because he smells a cow in heat in the distance. But I guess you shouldn't,t have to do that because you live in the country and being considerate of others is not part of country living.
You raising cane about a neighbor waving at an annoying bull is just as nuts or more so than the guy waving the stick. I just cannot believe that something so trite as this would upset anyone. OH MY GOD HE WAVED A STICK AT MY BULL. WHAT DO I DO? Call a bull physiologist.

flaboy":2x5nrhip said:
Move the cows. Build a small pen and put some hogs up there. :D

Funny you should mention that. Up the road there are a couple of guys that have been feuding for years. One of them built an apartment kind of deal right next to the road on the corner of the feuding neighbor. The neighbor built a pig pen right square on the prperty line and so that the pigs are directly in line with the air intake and back door of the apartment. There are 12 pigs in a 15x20 pen, they've been there since July and they are getting big.

dun":3s9liqrq said:
flaboy":3s9liqrq said:

Funny you should mention that. Up the road there are a couple of guys that have been feuding for years. One of them built an apartment kind of deal right next to the road on the corner of the feuding neighbor. The neighbor built a pig pen right square on the prperty line and so that the pigs are directly in line with the air intake and back door of the apartment. There are 12 pigs in a 15x20 pen, they've been there since July and they are getting big.
This is generally what will happen when neither party is willing to be the better person and both feel they should not have to give a little. That I will show you attitude.

novatech":1j9f8gnl said:
dun":1j9f8gnl said:
flaboy":1j9f8gnl said:

This is generally what will happen when neither party is willing to be the better person and both feel they should not have to give a little. That I will show you attitude.

These guys are so old and have been feuding for so long if one of them died the otherone would be lost.

Could it be possible to move him out of that pen into another farther away of a night?
Their's nothing more frustrating than working all day and trying to get your rest of a night and some annoying noise keeping you awake.
He could have teenagers who play those annoying boomboxes all night when you try to sleep.
And also him waving a stick and shouting at the bull could lead to a serious accident that you might keep from happining.
Sometimes it's better to bite the bullet to get along with your neighbors.But it don't mean you have to kiss their a$$.

Just my thoughts. Cal

This post made me think of friends in the DFW area, who lived in an exclusive neighborhood that was built around what was still remaining of a working ranch. They bragged about how peaceful and countrylike the setting was, and how they loved to watch the "bramamammas" that lived behind them, as they sat at their swimming pool in their beautifully landscaped yard.

One night the wife woke to a huge racket in her yard, the fence had been broken down and the herd of "brammamammas" were swarming into her backyard. She told me she leaped out of bed, naked, and defended her property by throwing tennis balls at the cattle. This picture stays in my mind.

The police were summoned, order restored, damage repaired. Now that ranch is long gone replaced by more wall to wall "exclusive" homes.

Latest posts