Some Economic Issues From Katrina

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure of this, NO will be rebuilt. How is anybodys guess. There is a chance here to make that area a very well built city.
Just think of how many jobs are going to open up after all this settles down. Just think of how many people will have a chance to get off the welfare rolls. Right now it is just chaos., but that will eventually subside, just like the water that is within the city limits. The dead will be buried and the finger pointing will go on for awhile. The news media will eventually go on to other stories and unfortunately, show nothing but bad at any other story they do. I think you have to take the news media with a grain of salt and not let them make you believe there is nothing good going on over there. Texas stepped up to the plate on this one, if you'll let me boast a little. Shows how big a heart Texans have. After it really sunk in that we have a real catastrophe on our hands, everyone stepped up to the plate. I don't know why, but it seems like we were a little slow on the uptake on this catastrophe. To the looters, you have to answer to God on that one.

Stay Well
Dick

when i read that my thoughts were more along the lines of "having a chance to and actually doing it are two totally different things." i think theyve had a chance to all along havent they?

Well, I did say "have a chance". Weather they take advantage of this or not is up to them. As far as what I've been smoking, I do have a vicious cold right now and I have all kinds of remedys in me. I too am in agreement that the looters should be shot and all the welfare queens and kings will be the first ones in line to get a handout....again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't welfare supposed to be a temporary thing while you get yourself back on your feet and not be a career thing? Well, if they don't take advantage of what is about to become a very hot job market, will the media speak of this? I think not.

Dick

SF":1xj8ggcg said:
rwtherefords":1xj8ggcg said:
These people in N.O. should be grateful for any assistance they recieve and drop this attitude of entitlement. Nobody OWES them anything.

I saw one woman on the news last night who stated, "I'M AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE BEING TREATED LIKE THIS!" That quote wasn't a statement of gratitude on her part.

I see a lot more of them on the news here in Dallas, saying "THANK YOU". More good than bad

I'm glad they're showing gratitude in your area SF. A friend of mine had a son who got into an accident Friday night, and was taker to Vanderbilt Hospital. As you may know, some of the New Orleans refugees are being taken to Vanderbilt for medical care. He spent several hours in a large hospital waiting room listening to the refugees go on and on about how the government owes them this or that, and about how poorly they've been treated. It sure sounded like an attitude of entitlement dominated the room.

just a little update for some of you, who are so concerned about the plight of the folks in the Astrodome.....Things that probably didnt make it into the news.
Couple of days ago 62 of those fine upstanding citizens were arrested for various felonies
2. First night they were in the dome 30 apartments were broken into around the dome
3.Bathrooms have been smeared with fecal matter.
4.Last weekend 10 of the dogooders who were helping these outstanding Americans had their cars stole.
I will try to keep you folks upto date on the habits of these fine upright individuals... The cops here in Houston are not amused at all with the things that are taking place.

By the way, are any of you curious as to why volunteers have to serve the food and clean the dishes and do basis cleaning for these folks .... Ah shucks I guess we cant interfere with the card games, tv watching and dominoes. Of course it mightbe nice to see some of these very healthy folks get off the duffs and do something besides b***h.

houstoncutter":ccluovdy said:
just a little update for some of you, who are so concerned about the plight of the folks in the Astrodome.....Things that probably didnt make it into the news.
Couple of days ago 62 of those fine upstanding citizens were arrested for various felonies
2. First night they were in the dome 30 apartments were broken into around the dome
3.Bathrooms have been smeared with fecal matter.
4.Last weekend 10 of the dogooders who were helping these outstanding Americans had their cars stole.
I will try to keep you folks upto date on the habits of these fine upright individuals... The cops here in Houston are not amused at all with the things that are taking place.

By the way, are any of you curious as to why volunteers have to serve the food and clean the dishes and do basis cleaning for these folks .... Ah shucks I guess we cant interfere with the card games, tv watching and dominoes. Of course it mightbe nice to see some of these very healthy folks get off the duffs and do something besides b***h.

Here, here Houston. You can take the animal out of the jungle but can't take the jungle out of the animal. It's a real shame the minority of these folks give the majority a bad name.

You are right on the clean up also. They seem to just want to be waited on hand a foot. I say assign them all jobs (serving, cleanup, washing, mopping) cleaning up after themselves.

Here, many of the people are being taken to the National Guard Armory to stay for a while. They are asking that people volunteer to come help feed them.
I'm thinking, what are these people going to be doing while they are being served? I am assuming they still have arms and legs.
These people need to be serving themselves. If the American people can pick them up, give them shelter, why can't they serve their own plate?
If I were one of the people staying at the NGA, I would want to stay busy and help where I could. If someone gave me a place to stay including food, I would mow the grass, or what ever it took. I am sure that if you approach 99% of these people and tell them you have found a job for them, they will turn it down. They have lived off the sweat of someone else's brow, and they aren't about to mess it up their free ride now. These people have been living off of our tax dollars. They purposely choose to live this way and want to be taken care of by us. When the hurricane was on it's way, they still thought that the government and tax dollars would take care of them. They stayed and waited and came out asking for more help. Now that they are being taken somewhere, they still want help and want to know what more can we do. When you choose to live pay check to pay check, and not set something back, then you don't plan ahead. It is a guarantee that it will bite you in the rear end. Never fails. I guess that rainy day will be taken care of by the government too? These people are at the mercy of the tax payers, and no way in hell would I let myself continue to live that way. I would get independent as fast as I could.
It is hard to stop asking for handouts if that has been your way of life for so many years.
If I were a reporter, I would ask each one where they worked before the hurricane hit and what were their plans now. I bet 99% would say that they were unemployed or were disabled and couldn't work.
It is impossible to help someone who will not help themselves.
I just hope the good hearted people that are letting some families stay with them, are getting a working class of people. Otherwise, it will be next to impossible to get them out of your house when you are providing free food and board.
If they think the looting on the TV was bad, wait till they experience it first hand in their own homes.

Chuckie":3ceq989k said:
If I were a reporter, I would ask each one where they worked before the hurricane hit.

Now that is funny. :lol: Work? huh?

On TV news this morning was a story about the mandatory evacuation in N.O. There are some wealthy people in fine homes in a high area that has not flooded and no water there now. They were/are prepared and able to take care of themselves. They have everything they need.
One man hired his own security people. The news showed them on the ground handcuffed. Reporter asked why and one said the only reason he knew is that they were better armed than the law enforcers. Second amendment??

Another man had food, water, guns, ammo etc. They asked what he would do if he didn't leave and looters came. Shoot them he said. He said he is NOT leaving. He said he is prepared, doesn't need any help and just wants to get back to work.

So much for self suffiency.
Who will protect them from the protectors?

Ryder":1ktyrrao said:
On TV news this morning was a story about the mandatory evacuation in N.O. There are some wealthy people in fine homes in a high area that has not flooded and no water there now. They were/are prepared and able to take care of themselves. They have everything they need.
One man hired his own security people. The news showed them on the ground handcuffed. Reporter asked why and one said the only reason he knew is that they were better armed than the law enforcers. Second amendment??

Another man had food, water, guns, ammo etc. They asked what he would do if he didn't leave and looters came. Shoot them he said. He said he is NOT leaving. He said he is prepared, doesn't need any help and just wants to get back to work.

So much for self suffiency.
Who will protect them from the protectors?

Where does the gov't get the right to come in and order you out of your home? What part of the constitution gives the gov't this authority?

Those who wish to stay should be allowed to. We ought to be supporting them and helping them. They are trying to rebuild. Let them do it. Help them do it. Don't arrest them and remove them. Can't imagine why anyone would want to live in LA with the leadership they have in place.

JMO...some thoughts...

1. People staying behind (residents) apparently do not understand the issues of "toxic" sewage/chemicals/bacteria, etc. floating around NOLA.
2. People staying behind don't seem to understand that it will be (probably) months before basic utilities are restored in NOLA...critical services (Hospitals, Fire, Police, etc.) will get service before the hold-outs do.
3. People staying behind don't seem to grasp the potential danger of leaking natural gas lines.
4. People staying behind don't seem to be cognizant of the issue of bacteria, viruses, toxic spills, rotting corpses, potential heavy mosquito invasion (requiring area wide spraying), snakes, alligators, etc., that may be lurking everywhere.
5. Those "high-end" people and their houses on dry land (what little there is) don't seem to understand that they are at risk.
6. Until all of the "residents" are relocated, the people, agencies, and heavy equipment operations may be compromised by those "residents" getting in the way of the clean-up. (If not now, they will eventually have to travel to get more provisions, etc.).
7. If all of the "bad guys" are out of town, then the "residents" shouldn't have to worry about their property being looted.

My guess is that a large part of NOLA will have to be bull-dozed, hauled off, and burned or buried before there are any hopes for any new construction and/or repairs to take place...this can take months, perhaps years for for restoration to happen.

Finally, to the "hold-out" residents...how many months of clean water, fuel for your generators, food, etc., do you have at your "sacred" house? Can you last a year or two?

Not trying to be a pessimist (just a realist) by any means. People just need to understand that NOLA is OVER for now. Believe it! Collect your insurance money (those that have insurance), relocate, and get on with their lives...also find a "day job".

Almost forgot! If the're pumping all of that hazardous water & junk into Lake Ponchartrain now...lake just killed...now what? Pump it back into the Gulf (kill gulf--aka Valdez event)...let lake dry up and then wait for a rain to fill it back up??

:?:

Off soap box now...lol.

An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made Disaster of
the Welfare State
by Robert Tracinski

by Robert Tracinski

It took four long days for state and federal officials to figure out
how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans. I can't blame them, because it
also took me four long days to figure out what was going on there. The
reason is that the events there make no sense if you think that we are
confronting a natural disaster.

If this is just a natural disaster, the response for public officials
is obvious: you bring in food, water, and doctors; you send transportation
to evacuate refugees to temporary shelters; you send engineers to stop the
flooding and rebuild the city's infrastructure. For journalists, natural
disasters also have a familiar pattern: the heroism of ordinary people
pulling together to survive; the hard work and dedication of doctors,
nurses, and rescue workers; the steps being taken to clean up and rebuild.

Public officials did not expect that the first thing they would have
to do is to send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they
are suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists-myself included-did not
expect that the story would not be about rain, wind, and flooding, but about
rape, murder, and looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent response by
federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by Hurricane
Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television channel has
gotten the story wrong.

The man-made disaster we are now witnessing in New Orleans did not
happen over four days last week. It happened over the past four decades.
Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it to public view.

The man-made disaster is the welfare state.

For the past few days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be
confusing. People were not behaving as you would expect them to behave in an
emergency-indeed, they were not behaving as they have behaved in other
emergencies. That is what has shocked so many people: they have been saying
that this is not what we expect from America. In fact, it is not even what
we expect from a Third World country.

When confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the occasion.
They work together to rescue people in danger, and they spontaneously
organize to keep order and solve problems. This is especially true in
America. We are an enterprising people, used to relying on our own
initiative rather than waiting around for the government to take care of us.
I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main
traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their
cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the
intersection) and large ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to
September 11).

So what explains the chaos in New Orleans?

To give you an idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here is a
description from a Washington Times story:

"Storm victims are raped and beaten; fights erupt with flying fists,
knives and guns; fires are breaking out; corpses litter the streets; and
police and rescue helicopters are repeatedly fired on.

"The plea from Mayor C. Ray Nagin came even as National Guardsmen
poured in to restore order and stop the looting, carjackings and gunfire....

"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said 300 Iraq-hardened
Arkansas National Guard members were inside New Orleans with shoot-to-kill
orders.

" 'These troops are...under my orders to restore order in the
streets,' she said. 'They have M-16s, and they are locked and loaded. These
troops know how to shoot and kill and they are more than willing to do so if
necessary and I expect they will.' "

The reference to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this
article shows a SWAT team with rifles and armored vests riding on an armored
vehicle through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of squalid, listless
people, one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It looks exactly like a
scene from Sadr City in Baghdad.

What explains bands of thugs using a natural disaster as an excuse for
an orgy of looting, armed robbery, and rape? What causes unruly mobs to
storm the very buses that have arrived to evacuate them, causing the drivers
to speed away, frightened for their lives? What causes people to attack the
doctors trying to treat patients at the Superdome?

Why are people responding to natural destruction by causing further
destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are trying to help them?

My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it out on a
sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage one night on Fox News
Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She studied
architecture at the Illinois Institute of Chicago, which is located in the
South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes, one of
the largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The projects," as
they were known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and irremediable
squalor. (They have since, mercifully, been demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last night's television coverage was a
whiff of the sense of life of "the projects." Then the "crawl"-the
informational phrases flashed at the bottom of the screen on most news
channels-gave some vital statistics to confirm this sense: 75% of the
residents of New Orleans had already evacuated before the hurricane, and of
those who remained, a large number were from the city's public housing
projects. Jack Wakeland then told me that early reports from CNN and Fox
indicated that the city had no plan for evacuating all of the prisoners in
the city's jails-so they just let many of them loose. [Update: I have been
searching for news reports on this last story, but I have not been able to
confirm it. Instead, I have found numerous reports about the collapse of the
corrupt and incompetent New Orleans Police Department; see here and here.]

There is no doubt a significant overlap between these two
populations--that is, a large number of people in the jails used to live in
the housing projects, and vice versa.

There were many decent, innocent people trapped in New Orleans when
the deluge hit-but they were trapped alongside large numbers of people from
two groups: criminals-and wards of the welfare state, people selected, over
decades, for their lack of initiative and self-induced helplessness. The
welfare wards were a mass of sheep-on whom the incompetent administration of
New Orleans unleashed a pack of wolves.

All of this is related, incidentally, to the incompetence of the city
government, which failed to plan for a total evacuation of the city, despite
the knowledge that this might be necessary. In a city corrupted by the
welfare state, the job of city officials is to ensure the flow of handouts
to welfare recipients and patronage to political supporters-not to ensure a
lawful, orderly evacuation in case of emergency.

No one has really reported this story, as far as I can tell. In fact,
some are already actively distorting it, blaming President Bush, for
example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New Orleans had
drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an execrable piece
from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious Canadian who blames the
chaos on American "individualism." But the truth is precisely the opposite:
the chaos was caused by a system that was the exact opposite of
individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of
the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is
behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the
responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a
disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the
difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the
government hasn't taken care of them. And they don't use the chaos of a
disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men.

But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about
saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own
anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or
how they are going to make a living? They never worried about those things
before. Do they worry about crime and looting? But living off of stolen
wealth is a way of life for them.

People living in piles of their own trash, while petulantly
complaining that other people aren't doing enough to take care of them and
then shooting at those who come to rescue them-this is not just a
description of the chaos at the Superdome. It is a perfect summary of the
40-year history of the welfare state and its public housing projects.

The welfare state-and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains
and encourages-is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness
that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is
reporting.

Source: TIA Daily -- September 2, 2005

I agree, Excellent points made. Is it the burden of the Taxpayer to continually support these "People" Most of them blame "Us" for their problems.I say put em' to work.This is the USA, where everyone has a chance.Our forefathers would be rolling in their graves.What ever happened to the word "PRIDE".Guess it's non-existent in those neighborhoods.I'm tired of being blamed for the repression.I'd flip burgers at McDonalds before I'd take a check.This goes for people of any color.

Latest posts