Some days I get so fed up of living on an organic farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmerjon, I believe what you say. Honestly. But I have to ask...are there any particular health precautions that you take with your varmint killing terriers? Doesn't sound like an animal that's a pet in any case.

Regolith, in an effort to better understand what your do and where and how, can you post some photos? I'm having trouble with the carcass disposal thing regarding the rats. Somehow that doesn't fit in with the pristine "organic" New Zealand picture in my mind.

When we were kids my grandma's chicken house was a haven for rats. they had tunneled all under the dirt floor and would come up at night and eat the chicken feed.
Our solution was to stick a hose down a rat hole and club the rats as they emerged. We killed 167 in an hour one day. Just remember to wear coveralls and tie the legs so they can't run up them. BTW the dog probably killed another 30 as they escaped outside.

VERY ORGANIC

3waycross, I'd be wearing Kevlar undies!

Your description reminded me of my brother's tactics when we were youngsters. He would catch a black snake, aim it down a hole in the corner of a horse stall in the barn, then sit and wait for the rat to come out another hole in the other corner of the stall and shoot it.

The carcass disposal hole is not normal Gale - I've never seen one like that before. My cows that died of bloat, I called for a truck they came and picked them up and take them away for skinning and rendering.
Nothing about this farm is normal. How I got here is too long a story, but you should understand it's only had cattle on for eighteen months and the person I took over from was closed down within a few months due to lack of knowledge/experience.

Terriers aren't really my type of dog, though I agree you can't go past them for rat control. I lost a border collie cross recently and will look out for another pup when I think I've got the time and energy to spend on one - and that's not now, and never likely to be a little yappy thing - my cats fill the role of small, noisy, and demanding. Thanks though.
And thanks for the tip on mothballs highgrit - it's a worry, I haven't sustained vehicle damage myself but know people who have. One of the dead rats I found at the house was in my ute engine.

I've been meaning to look through my photos, not taking any since my camera died. The images in the two calving threads I have on here might give you a better idea of what i'm doing - I know there's photos of a calfshed in the 2009 thread though they don't show the whole building.

Regolith, just the normal vaccinations and make sure to keep up on the rabies! Otherwise, that was it. They don't have to be yappy little dogs. Like most dogs that are actually working dogs, they will take their job seriously. Nice though to sit and have one jump on your lap and enjoy being petted. Yes the moth balls will help keep the rats from being interested in your engine bay.

Latest posts