Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
06P09P_1_05042004.jpg

08P_1_05042004.jpg

12P_1_05042004.jpg

P5040008.JPG

Calves_1_05042004.jpg

I like'em. Send some more pics in a couple of months.

Just wanted to say, too, that you're really opening yourself up for comment here! ;-)

Oh, aren't they grand! :heart: Such sturdy looking little things...bright eyed and healthy and beautifully marked. Thank you for that, George. Things went south here yesterday morning with the first calf born here and I was in a funk. Seeing these pics certainly brightens my day. :)

Alice

Alice":51ujeahv said:
Oh, aren't they grand! :heart: Such sturdy looking little things...bright eyed and healthy and beautifully marked. Thank you for that, George. Things went south here yesterday morning with the first calf born here and I was in a funk. Seeing these pics certainly brightens my day. :)

Alice

Sorry to hear that, Alice! :(

farmwife":51ujeahv said:
Just wanted to say, too, that you're really opening yourself up for comment here! ;-)

Yeah, I know, farmwife! I saw what happened to you! I just figured it was my time in the barrel! :lol:

George

I like your calves, very nice. Are those mesquite trees in the background? Where abouts are you located?

ERodrig":z900g4de said:
I like your calves, very nice. Are those mesquite trees in the background? Where abouts are you located?

The cows are practically located outside Alice's back door in the Stephenville/Dublin area.

farmwife":a0vvn5xa said:
I like'em. Send some more pics in a couple of months.

George,

Again good looking calves, nice herd. I'll say it again for any who don't realize this yet (I know you know this George) if you don't want an opinion on your animals, good or bad, don't post a pic and ask for an opinion.

Alan

shutskytj":2k8v4cbk said:
Nice calves what are the bloodlines

Pics 1 and 3: Sire: Keynote Son out of a Line 1 cow MGS: Pure Gold

Pic 2: Same sire Dam: Linebred Enforcer

Pic 4: heifer calf in middle same breeding as Pics 1 and 3,

heifer calf on left is a Mister Mom out of a DR Achiever 8403 dam.

Pic 5 - can't tell which ones they are for sure.

Thanks!

George

George...

You should be proud of yourself. Hard to beat Keynote offspring. I have always thought Keynote via Enforcer was the animal to beat. Are you going to hang on to the calves to grow your herd? Are the ones with a horned sire dehorned? I believe your herd is almost as advanced as Remitall's because you started from a Keynote which represents years and years of hard physical and mental labor. What does your herd's pigment look like generally? Have you personally had a Vindi offspring you could watch everday?

HerefordSire":3ntchrx1 said:
George...

You should be proud of yourself. Hard to beat Keynote offspring. I have always thought Keynote via Enforcer was the animal to beat. Are you going to hang on to the calves to grow your herd? Are the ones with a horned sire dehorned? I believe your herd is almost as advanced as Remitall's because you started from a Keynote which represents years and years of hard physical and mental labor. What does your herd's pigment look like generally? Have you personally had a Vindi offspring you could watch everday?

It doesn't take a lot of ability to go out and buy good cattle and breed them to each other. All that takes is money and the ability to open a gate to let the bull in with the cows. It's what you do with their offspring and the choices that you make in breeding them and the subsequent generations that determines your worth as a "seedstock producer". I will admit to being pleased with some of the second generation that I'm getting - calves from bulls and females that were both born on the place. But my experiment is just beginning.

Right now, I'm still retaining all females fit to retain. If I get a couple of show heifer prospects from the fall calf crop, I have been considering letting some worthy kids buy them at a reasonable price for their projects. A lot will depend on whether I'm able to find additional lease land to continue expansion.

While I have taken advantage of the breeding work that the Latimers (and the Colyers, Holdens, Coopers, Harlands, Haygoods, etc) have done, I think it would be pretty arrogant of anyone to think that they - or their herd - was in that league until they had years of selection and several generations of cattle bred under their own direction.

Pigment hasn't been my primary focus or even secondary focus, but I've ended up with a good bit of it in my herd.

And truthfully, I haven't got a clue about Vindicator offspring so I really have no opinion one way or the other.

George

Boy, you better cut that blue tag down a little, or that calf may grow crooked!! ;-) Just kiddin, they're nice. I especially like #3 -- nice square hip.

farmwife":nlytofqs said:
Boy, you better cut that blue tag down a little, or that calf may grow crooked!! ;-) Just kiddin, they're nice. I especially like #3 -- nice square hip.

Using those big tags makes their necks strong, doncha know!!

Latest posts