Some bulls-your input appreciated

Help Support CattleToday:

My two cents - Image Maker (Angus Bull) threw some really big calves for us. We had five that ranged from 95 to 115 pounds. I was proud that I didn't use him on heifers!!! The bull calves are also a little more course fronted than I like. They could pass for a fleckvieh cross - not that it is a bad thing, but I'd rather they look like the purebred angus that they are. The heifers look great. Image Maker also seems to add more frame than I expected. I like Dream On. I haven't used him, but I rarely see a heifer of his that I don't like.

djinwa":9tcm9lea said:
Okay, dumb amateur question. To get a Brangus, you add Brahma to Angus for more heat tolerance. Then why make them black so they'll get hotter in the sun? I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.

I'm no Brangus expert, but I assume it's because the people that formed the Brangus breed simply wanted to combine the best qualities of Angus and Brahman, just like they would do with any other composite breed. At that time, Angus were black. Sure, there were red ones around but, except for a few forward thinkers, they were discarded as being inferior. Red Angus didn't become a recognized breed until the 50's, a few years after the Brangus breed was recognized as a breed. Red Brangus came along after that.

Maybe I am being too harsh; but if one out of the bunch got sick (to the point that I had to treat her, barn her, give her extra nutrition, etc) and she still fell behind the bunch, we just assumed that she lacks the genes for disease resistance that the rest of the heifers all had and she went to the stockyard. If my Grandfather shot a heifer with a series of pennicillin or one had to be doctored for Pinkeye she was getting perilously close to being the first calf culled.

dun":1rx9qiv5 said:
Aero":1rx9qiv5 said:
BC":1rx9qiv5 said:

looks like hte ultimate genetics people need a webmaster that knows what he is doing. there is no excuse to have pictures of that file size on there.

??????? do the nned to be bigger?

no, just rookie stuff. they upload a huge file that should probably be 3000 pixels wide and then tell the html to display it as 400 wide or so. this way you end up with a file that takes 16 times longer to download than it should. the attached file views with the same size and quality at 2% of the file size. (the original that you have to download to see on their page is 1600 KB - this one is 29KB)

Tell Ultimate Genetics...there might be a job in this for you. It took it about .25 seconds to open on my puter.

Chi-man":13n3z92c said:
My two cents - Image Maker (Angus Bull) threw some really big calves for us. We had five that ranged from 95 to 115 pounds. I was proud that I didn't use him on heifers!!! The bull calves are also a little more course fronted than I like. They could pass for a fleckvieh cross - not that it is a bad thing, but I'd rather they look like the purebred angus that they are. The heifers look great. Image Maker also seems to add more frame than I expected. I like Dream On. I haven't used him, but I rarely see a heifer of his that I don't like.

Good information! that is some big birthweights on IM..I will definantly remember that, in regards to heifers. I was looking at the Angus, as I know they are known for low BW's for the heifer.

Brandonm22":3jux5ib1 said:
Maybe I am being too harsh; but if one out of the bunch got sick (to the point that I had to treat her, barn her, give her extra nutrition, etc) and she still fell behind the bunch, we just assumed that she lacks the genes for disease resistance that the rest of the heifers all had and she went to the stockyard. If my Grandfather shot a heifer with a series of pennicillin or one had to be doctored for Pinkeye she was getting perilously close to being the first calf culled.
Hey Brandon

I appreciate the honesty and I know alot of stockmen would have shot this calf when she got bad off..my husband included. Since Ive got small numbers(3, soon to be 4) I feel I can devote the extra time this one heifer needed to get well. I think she will be OK and would have been if she hadnt gotten so ill. shes like a little local celbrity, as quite afew folks saw her when she was ill and shook their heads at my perceived idiotcy in continueing with her and now they dont even recognize her. Im going to give her the chance. :)

Sarah

In reading ALL of the replies to this post, I am left holding my head in both hands, and wondering if ALL of the past posts on ALL of the past threads relating to ALL of the phenotypical and Genetic and Functional Traits and Characteristics which have been "cussed" and discussed have fallen on deaf ears, and that reality and reason and common sense regarding beef production has somehow escaped the attention of breeders who are in the BU$INE$$ of producing profitable beef products, whether it be for the box market, or for local or personal home freezer uses! I have re-read most of the posts in this thread, and looked at the pictures of these heifers - the one most discussed in particular - several times, and even though Sarah has the 'time' to devote to this little doll, and is a classic, admittedly 'emotional' female (whatever that is :eek: :shock: ), I must take a deep breath, relax, control my vituperative impulses, and reiterate - again - that the expensive and serious business of beef production is NO justification for sentimentality. It takes too long a period of time to realize successful results, and treading water in hoping for the best results in the future - sometime - is foolish, illogical and unintelligent, and has no place in the serious concepts of practical beef production, for WHATEVER reasons(s)!

Having said all of that - I will venture to advise Sarah to divest herself of ALL of her beef (?) animals, take the money and purchase the animal protein she desires from the meat markets, and get a set-up of Rabbit Hutches or Laboratory Rat cages and experiment with her Genetic knowledge of those animals. They are less expensive to acquire, reproduce more quickly, and reveal their genetic results more definitively. In this particular case, it is a "WIN - WIN" situation. Sarah, you will learn just as much, quicker, and with less output of money and labor.

You might even delve into Chinchilla Ranching. I did that for five years - forty years ago! Learned a lot!

How can you lose?

DOC HARRIS

Wow, guess I gotta get rid of my old mongrel dog. No papers, ugly, and little potential but we love him and he does a good job around the place bringing joy to everyone. The cattle even love him... I think that's all Sarah is doing as well is enjoying her animals. They are her's, she's not trying to corner the market on genetics or beef production and only wanted to get information on a bull that might improve future offspring. Personally I think she should do what she wants. It's not going to make or break her, it gives her enjoyment and relaxation and if she ever wants to sell something there will be a buyer or she might just give it away. Now the animals may not ring the bell if she sells them but I've seen much much worse.

Doc I know you won't agree with this and that's good too. I don't agree with a lot of your posts either as I think you sometimes get so windy in your reply you forget what the question was. I don't like or care for chiropractors, TV preachers or morticians but I guess they have a place in the world. At least we don't shoot them.

TexasBred":3l6a3grj said:
Wow, guess I gotta get rid of my old mongrel dog. No papers, ugly, and little potential but we love him and he does a good job around the place bringing joy to everyone. The cattle even love him... I think that's all Sarah is doing as well is enjoying her animals. They are her's, she's not trying to corner the market on genetics or beef production and only wanted to get information on a bull that might improve future offspring. Personally I think she should do what she wants. It's not going to make or break her, it gives her enjoyment and relaxation and if she ever wants to sell something there will be a buyer or she might just give it away. Now the animals may not ring the bell if she sells them but I've seen much much worse.

Doc I know you won't agree with this and that's good too. I don't agree with a lot of your posts either as I think you sometimes get so windy in your reply you forget what the question was. I don't like or care for chiropractors, TV preachers or morticians but I guess they have a place in the world. At least we don't shoot them.

Wow, TB. You replied 15 min. after Doc posted. How'd you do that? I'm still reading Doc's post. It's so slow when I have to look so many words up in the dictionary. You're right on. My EPDs are very ordinary. Wife may send me packing.

DOC HARRIS":3k7vq3f5 said:
In reading ALL of the replies to this post, I am left holding my head in both hands, and wondering if ALL of the past posts on ALL of the past threads relating to ALL of the phenotypical and Genetic and Functional Traits and Characteristics which have been "cussed" and discussed have fallen on deaf ears, and that reality and reason and common sense regarding beef production has somehow escaped the attention of breeders who are in the BU$INE$$ of producing profitable beef products, whether it be for the box market, or for local or personal home freezer uses! I have re-read most of the posts in this thread, and looked at the pictures of these heifers - the one most discussed in particular - several times, and even Sarah has the 'time' to devote to this little doll, and is a classic, admittedly 'emotional' female (whatever that is :eek: :shock: ), I must take a deep breath, relax, control my vituperative impulses, and reiterate - again - that the expensive and serious business of beef production is NO justification for sentimentality. It takes too long a period of time to realize successful results, and treading water in hoping for the best results in the future - sometime - is foolish, illogical and unintelligent, and has no place in the serious concepts of practical beef production, for WHATEVER reasons(s)!

Having said all of that - I will venture to advise Sarah to divest herself of ALL of her beef (?) animals, take the money and purchase the animal protein she desires from the meat markets, and get a set-up of Rabbit Hutches or Laboratory Rat cages and experiment with her Genetic knowledge of those animals. They are less expensive to acquire, reproduce more quickly, and reveal their genetic results more definitively. In this particular case, it is a "WIN - WIN" situation. Sarah, you will learn just as much, quicker, and with less output of money and labor.

You might even delve into Chinchilla Ranching. I did that for five years - forty years ago! Learned a lot!

How can you lose?

DOC HARRIS

Doc,
Ill chalk this post up to the fact that you feel Im a typical "female" :roll: And leave it at that..

I dont have to explain myself to you or anyone. Im well aware of genetics and how they play into a breeding program..I really find it amusing that you feel I need Rabbits or Rats..but hey, whatever you feel the need to preach to me. I do what I do because I love the lifestyle and the animals. Im not raising the next top genetic beef specimen..Im raising for my personal use and to sell to those friends for THEIR personal use..and what Ive got, for now, fits fine. I know there are alot of different people on this board and my entire purpose in posting was to get information, first hand, about any of the bulls or if anyone can offer a potential cross. I got some really good information from some and others..well, I have to take the good with the bad.

And, I dont remember calling that heifer a "doll"..Where did I say that?

as for the vituperative impluses you referenced and the physical ailments my thread has caused you, Im sure they have a medication for that..Ive seen way to many people get all loopy over these message boards and its simply not healthy. I gurantee it shortens a person's life. :compute:

So call me what you will, make your insenuations, but I will continue to raise my animals and seek the advise of KNOWLEDGEABLE cattlemen/women in any questions or improvements Im thinking of implementing.

Sarah

alacattleman":w59e3yaw said:
so what your saying?......... it's hard too soar like a eagle, when you surrounded by buzzards.

lol, or like my favorite bumper sticker. "I may be slow but I'm ahead of you". :lol:

DOC HARRIS":2br5t7wc said:
DOC HARRIS

WTF??

dun":28z1oirl said:
Don;t know about the bulls but just going by pictures I wouldn;t breed that pinch butted third heifer to anything other then a freezer

DOC HARRIS wrote:
DOC HARRIS

Two different ways of saying the same thing.... by two very much respected members of these boards. And, I agree with them, but it got me thinking about barn blindness....

Alan

Sarah
Your first heifer that you want to breed this year is just fine and like I said for your purposes breed her any way you want. If you want to go Sim then Dream On has very good numbers for calving ease. But you might still want to consider something less shall we say dangerous for her first calf. Like a VERY high calving angus bull or even a corriente.

As far as the little sick hiefer is concerned it is never a good idea to post a picture of something like that here , you will almost always get your rear end bitten off(right Doc). Give her another year. When she is 2 yrs old have someone LOCAL who you trust evaluate her and help you make the descision to breed or not to breed her. If by then she has grown out of her deplorable condition MAYBE you can breed her if not do something else with her.

In the mean time think long and hard before you decide to subject yourself to this kind of abuse again. I doubt that you are in this to corner the beef market but sadly that's how you have been treated here.

Just my 2 cents, asked for or not.

spinandslide":3nelh9de said:
Ill chalk this post up to the fact that you feel Im a typical "female" :roll: And leave it at that..
I dont have to explain myself to you or anyone.
Sarah
Thats right Sarah, you don't have to explain yourself ~ so stop. Take what you can or will use, and ignore the rest. I, for one, understand (for whatever that's worth). Animals teach us how to be human. As for the rest I have no idea. :lol2: Just wanted to let you know been there done that and will do it again. Good luck!

Latest posts