Sold some calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Helped a friend take his calves to the sale barn last Thursday (3-15). We went to Guthrie Ky. and sold 4 heifers calves and he was happy:

1 calf weighed 310 lbs. and sold for $2.06
3 calves avg. 475 lbs. and sold for $1.93

I know prices are better in other parts of the country but I'm happy with those prices. Wonder how long they'll stay like that? Is that the new norm?

I think they will be about like they are now until About July, then drop 20$ or so, then back up in November to more records.

Denver,

Let's all hope that is true. I foresee 3 dollar calves on the horizon. Maybe we will finally catch up,to the fuel and feed prices!

Kyle

tnwalkingred":3u33xdqn said:
Denver,

Let's all hope that is true. I foresee 3 dollar calves on the horizon. Maybe we will finally catch up,to the fuel and feed prices!

Kyle
I think the next up turn next fall and winter we will see 3$ calves, there has been some this time but I think it will be more common next time. The number that has really stuck out to me the last couple months is the 2.50 to 2.60$ 4wt calves, I might not be smart enough to see it, but no matter how I figure it, there just isn't money to make on a 1000$ 400lb calf.

I just don't see how the public is going to keep up at the grocery store. Wages don't seem to have gone up like prices. When I look at the beef prices in the store I don't see who the heck is buying this high priced beef. I'm always very observant at the store and rarely see anyone buying beef but. of course I'm just one person in my little area of the country. But 2 lbs. of hamburger at Wal Mart for $12!! just doesn't seem like it's going to work in this economy for very long--something has to give.

tnwalkingred":2266we06 said:
Denver,

Kyle

That would be nice but since we have no control over feed or fuel prices you can bet they will go up too.

I'm having a dream of seven fat cows followed by seven lean cows.. Oh, wait, that wasn't my dream...

I think there's going to be more of those big roadhog 60ft motorhomes for sale.. cheap.. When it's cheaper to fly from any city to mexico than it is to drive from once city to the next in one of those things, people aren't going to keep them around.

I admit that $6/lb for burger at walmart is darned high, but if we're in a race with big oil.. sooner or later we're going to at least catch up because people still need to eat

Perhaps some of the older folks here can help me out, but if a pound of beef on the hoof buys you a bit more than a quart of fuel, things could be a lot worse

tncattle":2soa9knn said:
I just don't see how the public is going to keep up at the grocery store. Wages don't seem to have gone up like prices. When I look at the beef prices in the store I don't see who the heck is buying this high priced beef. I'm always very observant at the store and rarely see anyone buying beef but. of course I'm just one person in my little area of the country. But 2 lbs. of hamburger at Wal Mart for $12!! just doesn't seem like it's going to work in this economy for very long--something has to give.

Same here. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Calhoun Farm":2p8y01a3 said:
Anyone think we'll ever see prices below $1.00/lb again?
At wha size? I don't think we will ever see 5wts below 1.40$. But I sure could be wrong, I sold a bunch in 08 for 85 cents.

denvermartinfarms":3k7oklcw said:
The number that has really stuck out to me the last couple months is the 2.50 to 2.60$ 4wt calves, I might not be smart enough to see it, but no matter how I figure it, there just isn't money to make on a 1000$ 400lb calf.

Yep. I am part way through a stocker expansion and the new numbers don't look attractive. I think there is still money in pee wees if you can handle them.
I now plan to do more 2014 paddock renovation, and I lined up some manure for $7/ton :banana: , but that will just increase amount of forage a year or two from now.

I can't afford to buy stockers anymore, after this bunch I've got is sold in May I'm buying heavy bred cows. Like denver said hard to make money paying $1000 for 400lb calf.

Calhoun Farm said:
I can't afford to buy stockers anymore, after this bunch I've got is sold in May I'm buying heavy bred cows. quote]

Back when there was still a cattle cycle - - some blamed folks who jumped in and out of stocking as big part of the price variation.

We sold fourteen calves in January. A mix of black heifers and steers with a couple red steers in the mix. Average weight was 542, average price $980. We were well pleased. We have only been at it six years and the first calves we sold we got 99 a pound.

I'll take the blame.

I would prefer to just keep calves, but I'm in this to make money not go in the hole or break even.

Calhoun Farm":3byb5i4h said:
I'll take the blame.

I would prefer to just keep calves, but I'm in this to make money not go in the hole or break even.
If you buy decent calf raising cows and don't buy the big 1600lb black 2500$ models, it's not to hard to make a little money with cows. Feeding calves is a different story.

Stocker Steve":50blpiqr said:
denvermartinfarms":50blpiqr said:
The number that has really stuck out to me the last couple months is the 2.50 to 2.60$ 4wt calves, I might not be smart enough to see it, but no matter how I figure it, there just isn't money to make on a 1000$ 400lb calf.

Yep. I am part way through a stocker expansion and the new numbers don't look attractive. I think there is still money in pee wees if you can handle them.
I now plan to do more 2014 paddock renovation, and I lined up some manure for $7/ton :banana: , but that will just increase amount of forage a year or two from now.
I agree, 200 to 300lb steers still look ok, but buying anything over 300lbs doesn't look to good IMO.

Latest posts