Sold my last Commercial

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I sold my last commercial cow today. Loaded her yesterday and dropped her off for an overnight stay at the Flemingsburg Stockyards. Most difficult cow I have sold.I stressed about it for the whole summer. She is a big framed cow with pinzgaurer in her. A Skunk Tail. Bought her as a bred heifer. Very rugged cow. Huge feet.

Why did I? First, she does not fit my herd. Second, I do all AI on natural heats. I have no bull. Of all the cows I have had here, she has the distinction of never being seen in estrus. Before you blame me, remember, I spend a lot of time with my herd so it is not negligence. Not her fault either. She was always the first cow to get covered by the bull and first to calve. So she is fertile. But I am not going to manage a bull to breed one cow.

She was the very first bovine to enter the ring. A big calm giant of a cow. She weighted 1765 and sold for .72 per pound. I looked at her before the auction started. I hate this part of this business. What makes a man feel like a traitor at a moment like this? Damm, I do get attached too easily.
1rq6ps.jpg

That's a nice check. My wife cries every time I take a load to the sale. Me I stop by M&T meats and buy prime ribeyes for supper on the way home. I like selling.

TennesseeTuxedo":15cs8eor said:
How old was she? She couldn't have camped out at our place. Course she'd have lost a lot of weight.

Six. Very solid. She put that stripe on all her calves. Her calves are very framey.

A gentle giant but not one that liked pressure. She filled my chute. On widest setting, there was no need to squeeze.

I loaded her like she was a puppy. But when I shut the door, she tried to turn the trailer over.

Nesikep":gzo9p9rf said:
she may go to a decent home for a while yet.

Always hard getting rid of cows that have done well for you

I am pretty sure the buyer was buying pound cows for slaughter. I prefer that to her going to a producer who does not manage his cows humanely. Of course, that is a subjective call. My standards are high.

Margonme":j5bbu9at said:
Jogeephus":j5bbu9at said:
I like pinz but don't own any. Anything showing any pinz will get hammered hard here.

Her calves got discounted at the stockyards.

I bet she through the milk to her calves and raised some nice ones nonetheless. I like that breed.

Jogeephus":3p78belo said:
Margonme":3p78belo said:
Jogeephus":3p78belo said:
I like pinz but don't own any. Anything showing any pinz will get hammered hard here.

Her calves got discounted at the stockyards.

I bet she through the milk to her calves and raised some nice ones nonetheless. I like that breed.

Yes. Big milk producer. The least troublesome cow you could ask for. She never complained. Never had as much as a cocklebur between her udder and leg. Really rugged. Very athletic. I would watch her when she was happy. She was tall. Right up to my nipples. When she was happy, she would run and jump, I swear, 6 feet high. I was worried loading her. I loaded her through the tub of my handling facility. She did not like pressure. If she wanted to, she could jump out of an 8 foot high pen.

This is her last calf. Heifer. That calf was born 3/13/16. Last night, I took a walk out the ridge at dusk. The Minnie Skunk was bawling and looking for mom. But I have been creep feeding the spring calves. She will not go hungry.
346vort.jpg

Yep, that's a bad dock right there even though its obvious from the rear of its momma it would produce some terrific beef. Funny how marketing works.

Latest posts