Sold a few at Guthrie, KY

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
Sold a solid black 705 lb. heifer for 168.00 per lb.
Sold a red 600 lb. bull for 168.50 per lb.
Sold a solid black 570 lb. bull for 189.00 per lb.
Sold #65 the black baldy cow that I have posted before whom had back to back twins. She had a single white face bull this year that was born dead. So I had my fill of her. She was 13 yrs. old and weighed 1,515 lbs. She was the next to the last cow to sell. Ended up topping the slaughter cow prices at .85 cents per lb. I went to get my check after watching a few slaughter bulls sell and noticed they had only paid me 66 cents per lb. for the cow. I took the check back and told the lady something is wrong with my cow's price because I just seen it sell for .85 cents. Finally after a good while and them discussing it with the grader or owner, they realized they did make a mistake. She called me in the office and behind the desk and showed me that my cow and another cow had got mixed up on the price. The other cow weighed 1320 had was written down for .85 and mine got put down for .66. She thought mine was 1320 for .85, I said no mine was 1,515 I was there when it was weighed. Finally they wrote a personal check for the .19 cent difference. So the mistake did get fixed, I'm just happy I stayed for the sale. I would encourage everyone to always stay for the sale if at all possible. Sorry everyone if I rambled too much. Hope everyone is having a good night.

FlyingLSimmentals":1evgws91 said:
Sold a solid black 705 lb. heifer for 168.00 per lb.
Sold a red 600 lb. bull for 168.50 per lb.
Sold a solid black 570 lb. bull for 189.00 per lb.
Sold #65 the black baldy cow that I have posted before whom had back to back twins. She had a single white face bull this year that was born dead. So I had my fill of her. She was 13 yrs. old and weighed 1,515 lbs. She was the next to the last cow to sell. Ended up topping the slaughter cow prices at .85 cents per lb. I went to get my check after watching a few slaughter bulls sell and noticed they had only paid me 66 cents per lb. for the cow. I took the check back and told the lady something is wrong with my cow's price because I just seen it sell for .85 cents. Finally after a good while and them discussing it with the grader or owner, they realized they did make a mistake. She called me in the office and behind the desk and showed me that my cow and another cow had got mixed up on the price. The other cow weighed 1320 had was written down for .85 and mine got put down for .66. She thought mine was 1320 for .85, I said no mine was 1,515 I was there when it was weighed. Finally they wrote a personal check for the .19 cent difference. So the mistake did get fixed, I'm just happy I stayed for the sale. I would encourage everyone to always stay for the sale if at all possible. Sorry everyone if I rambled too much. Hope everyone is having a good night.
Good evidence that everyone should watch their cattle sell. Even if they are very honest mistakes can happen.

only a 300 dollar "mistake"

these sale barns are full of shysters.

I know nobody is accusing, but it'd be a sure nuff honest mistake if that stockyard made it. Owners/management run a great sale.

Bigfoot":ta9pnyss said:
I know nobody is accusing, but it'd be a sure nuff honest mistake if that stockyard made it. Owners/management run a great sale.
I agree they run a good sale. One time I asked Mark what pen you put a calf in and he told me, I said you just put a steer in the heifer pen. He knows me well enough that he just turned around and told one of his guys to come ask me what color and tag number this calf was. One of his guys went and got it out and put it in the right pen. That day it would have been about a $100 hit on that calf.

I like to see mine sell but with a full time off the farm job that does not always happen. When we first started I dropped them off the day before, about lost out on getting paid for a calf at another yard once, just an error in the pen number the guy wrote down, I would have gotten paid on someone else's calves and they would have gotten paid on mine unless they caught the error.

I at least want to drop off day of sale and see them get graded so if there are questions I can bring it up then, slaughter cows are different though.

I hear comments about crooked practices at stockyards. Maybe it is mostly sour grapes. But seller beware! Lots of odd things go on in all markets. Just a comment - your prices seem low to what has been selling at the Paris Stockyards.

Yeah, I think it was an honest mistake and they were nice through the ordeal of having it fixed. I do trust that barn better than the 3 others nearby. But it was a large mistake at least for me so they need to stay on their toes paying some attention to what they write down. Hopefully it was a rare mistake that doesn't happen much at all. Again, I'm glad I stayed for the sale more times than not I don't get too.
Ron, Yes it does look like Paris Sold Better. More cattle up that way and probably more buyers. In western ky grain has taken the cattle ground by a lot takes a decent drive to find a cow to look at. Not a large enough price difference for me to go that far. Looks to be the market for you though.

inyati13":1u2ekim7 said:
I hear comments about crooked practices at stockyards. Maybe it is mostly sour grapes. But seller beware! Lots of odd things go on in all markets. Just a comment - your prices seem low to what has been selling at the Paris Stockyards.

they sell high at paris but they better look good and be all black.

Latest posts