Sold 2 steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I sold 2 Simmental steers today at Paris Stockyards. They were both September calves. They were on creep feed from about 6 weeks of age. They were weaned at 5 months and 2 weeks. On this the date of sale, they are 6 months and 2 weeks old. They sold as a pair. The combined weight was 1315 which averages to 657 pounds each. One was bigger so a rough estimate would be 700 and 615. They brought 1.35. They were fleshy so that probably hurt them.

Bright Raven said:
I sold 2 Simmental steers today at Paris Stockyards. They were both September calves. They were on creep feed from about 6 weeks of age. They were weaned at 5 months and 2 weeks. On this the date of sale, they are 6 months and 2 weeks old. They sold as a pair. The combined weight was 1315 which averages to 657 pounds each. One was bigger so a rough estimate would be 700 and 615. They brought 1.35. They were fleshy so that probably hurt them.

Gotta wean 45-60 days and background calves Ron, are you learning nothing here?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

I don't sell enough feeders to engage in more productive strategies. If I were selling 20 or more feeders, I would enlist in the backgrounding programs that Bluegrass Stockyards in Lexington offers.

Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

I don't sell enough feeders to engage in more productive strategies. If I were selling 20 or more feeders, I would enlist in the backgrounding programs that Bluegrass Stockyards in Lexington offers.

Don't back sass me Mr. Multiplier

Sounds like they were frontgrounded! I guess you didn't like them enough to leave intact. Hard to sell bulls with a knife in your hand isnt it? Good for you. No, really

talltimber said:
Sounds like they were frontgrounded! I guess you didn't like them enough to leave intact. Hard to sell bulls with a knife in your hand isnt it? Good for you. No, really

One had a birthweight of 123 pounds. Be a tough sell as a bull. Maybe Branded would like him. :cboy:

The other one had a lot of white. Both were nice calves otherwise.

Bright Raven said:
talltimber said:

One had a birthweight of 123 pounds. Be a tough sell as a bull. Maybe Branded would like him. :cboy:

Actually if I stay in the biz I would have given him a shot on my older cows. They need a challenge.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:
talltimber said:

Actually if I stay in the biz I would have given him a shot on my older cows. They need a challenge.

I would have had reservations. That 123 pounder was a Broadway. Broadway has a CE of NEGATIVE 4.1. And adds 3.4 pounds. He is a dream come true for Branded. I have an early September Broadway heifer that is bigger than any of the bulls. She is bigger than this Broadway steer. Yet, she is as gentle as a puppy. I am going to keep her for my own entertainment. I just wonder how big she will be. She might be in the Class of Branded's big mommas. ;-)

Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

I would have had reservations. That 123 pounder was a Broadway. Broadway has a CE of NEGATIVE 4.1. And adds 3.4 pounds. He is a dream come true for Branded. I have an early September Broadway heifer that is bigger than any of the bulls. She is bigger than this Broadway steer. Yet, she is as gentle as a puppy. I am going to keep her for my own entertainment. I just wonder how big she will be. She might be in the Class of Branded's big mommas. ;-)

If you boys would stop pouring the feed to them you might moderate birth weights and overall cow size.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

If you boys would stop pouring the feed to them you might moderate birth weights and overall cow size.

You have to keep the epd's going up somehow.

That was funny Allen.

Raven, why do you even creep feed them with all the great grass you mow down? I'm sure they are fleshy with all that feed.

bird dog said:
That was funny Allen.

Raven, why do you even creep feed them with all the great grass you mow down? I'm sure they are fleshy with all that feed.

Good question. My calves are born in a short window of time. Mostly September. A few are added in October. The first few weeks they mostly nurse. I start training them to come into the sanctuary at about 6 weeks of age. The feed acts as a lure. At 6 weeks, they know where the feed is. When they are in the "sanctuary" (the sanctuary is an area that the calves can access but the cows cannot. A system for segregation. It provides an area for the calves to get out of the nasty areas around the hay feed rings.) I have the means to control them. The control allows me to vaccinate, halter train, and treat if necessary. Consumption of feed is not significant until they are about 3 months old. It is measured out in an open feeder, NOT free choice.

There is very little grass during the calves' first 6 to 7 months of life. The feed plays a major role in my calf management program. My cows are good milkers, but the feed definitely assures they achieve their full growth potential. Obviously, it would not work well on a larger stage.

Once the heifers are weaned - about April 1 - they go on pasture without feed. The bulls are weaned about 2 weeks earlier - they have been weaned now for about 3 weeks- they get hay until pasture comes on. Pasture is just starting here. I stopped putting hay out to the bulls Friday.

Simple answer is - there is not much opportunity for grazing during calfhood. By the time they would be old enough to take advantage of grass, the cows are on hay.

Interesting. Thanks
My cows would pay you to adopt them. I do most of mine in the same way as far as calving time so it seems strange to me that now that you have good calves on hand coming into the spring flush, you sell them instead of taking advantage of the opportunity.

Most of my calves are now 5 to 7 months old. I expect them to gain 100 lbs in the next 30 days on the spring flush of grass.

bird dog said:
Interesting. Thanks
My cows would pay you to adopt them. I do most of mine in the same way as far as calving time so it seems strange to me that now that you have good calves on hand coming into the spring flush, you sell them instead of taking advantage of the opportunity.

Most of my calves are now 5 to 7 months old. I expect them to gain 100 lbs in the next 30 days on the spring flush of grass.

I will sell bulls anytime from 45 days after weaning to 15 months old. The heifers are retained on grass through summer, AI bred to a CE bull at 15 months of age and sold as breds or retained as replacements after confirmation they are pregnant.

Sounds like you could/should stop the creep feed. Calves won't get 700lbs anywhere near that fast but shouldn't be fleshy either. Not to mention what you save in $

shaz said:
Sounds like you could/should stop the creep feed. Calves won't get 700lbs anywhere near that fast but shouldn't be fleshy either. Not to mention what you save in $

I think I missed something. How fast can't calves hit 700 lbs?

Latest posts