snot nosed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

contreras6

Reaction score
I got this calf at the auction about a month ago. When I brought her home she had a runny nose and a cough. I though it was maybe the dust so i didn't worry about it. She hasn't gotten any better and when she runs she gets worse. She was very hot today. We put her in the choot and took some pics

I would hit her with some serious antibiotics, i.e. Nuflor, Excenel, etc. And would do at least a 3 shot treatment several days apart. One snot bothers me, clear snot doesn;t

I agree with dun, don't mess around with non prescription meds. Also ~ I am thinking she has difficulty breathing in the heat, you might also consider giving a anti inflammatory such as banamine or dexamethazone. Snot that has color (vs. clear) indicates infection. Good Luck with this calf!

I would definitely get some meds in that calf. Pneumonia can kill a calf quick. One day fine and the next day dead. Those pictures really make me think that there is really some serious respiratory issues. Let us know the outcome.

I run yearlings for a living, yes that needs treatment right now.

If it was mine I would.

Check temp.
Give the big one day treatment amount of Nuflor or Batril.
Banamine for fever and to make the calf feel better.
Dexamethizone.
I also would give a full dose of Tetradure or long acting pen.

That calf has lost, or is about to lose, lung tissue. You need to catch those before they get that bad. If you do not treet agressively things can go bad in a hurry, death or cronic...

Good luck,
Paul T

Wild Cattle":zpbxp7dj said:
I run yearlings for a living, yes that needs treatment right now.

If it was mine I would.

Check temp.
Give the big one day treatment amount of Nuflor or Batril.
Banamine for fever and to make the calf feel better.
Dexamethizone.
I also would give a full dose of Tetradure or long acting pen.

That calf has lost, or is about to lose, lung tissue. You need to catch those before they get that bad. If you do not treet agressively things can go bad in a hurry, death or cronic...

Good luck,
Paul T
WC ~ Banamine and Dex? Together? Huh.
Nuflor or Batril for sure but I would use the 3 series shots instead of just one, need to keep hitting it. Yes on the long acting pen. At this point there is nothing to lose.
I was thinking chronic for sure.

yes both,,,,the dex causes a suger dump from the liver. I would not want to catch and doctor that calf everyday, the stress from that that alone can push them over the edge. Remember that with Nuflor and a real sick calf, you need to watch for toxic shock( it kills the bug in a differant way from the other drugs), water needs to be close by.

I don't want to keep "hitting it " I want to kill it right now.

I use the LA Penn as a back up and to help with a secondary, you never know, unless you culture, what the bug will be sensetive to.

If the calf was still vigerous with that much snot, my drug of choice would be Micotil.

Paul T

Wild Cattle":2dfqxorv said:
yes both,,,,the dex causes a suger dump from the liver.

Paul T

Dexamethasone also suppresses the immune system - might not be such a good choice in an animal that looks like this one does.

My consulting DVM says 5cc one time. He has been practicing for 49 years, so I will stick with his advice, it has served me well on the thousands of yearlings I handle every year.

Paul T

I agree with msscamp. To me, dex seems redundant given the banamine, and why risk any further compromise.

Actually angie -- my vet also strongly recommends dex + banamine in calves with pneumonia. Both drugs have different properties and work in different ways to get the same result (anti-inflammatory), and he finds he gets the most benefit from using both drugs together.

milkmaid":1yltyt65 said:
Actually angie -- my vet also strongly recommends dex + banamine in calves with pneumonia. Both drugs have different properties and work in different ways to get the same result (anti-inflammatory), and he finds he gets the most benefit from using both drugs together.
Well then ~ is not the first time I have been wrong.
This is good to know. Thank you to both of you! :tiphat:

Latest posts