Snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I bush hogged yesterday for the first time this year. It was past due cuz I am running behind as usual. Today my wife and daughter went for a walk down our driveway. In the mowed grass was a dead snake,cut in half. (my favorite kind). About ten feet further there was a coiled snake. My daughter ran back to the house and got a shovel, took it back and killed it. It was about fourteen inches long. I did not see it. We looked on line and believe it to be a cotton mouth. I will bush hog around the pond tomorrow. Have any of you seen snakes out this season ? Tom :cboy:

They are crawling good here. I saw some fresh sign where two big ones had crossed the sand road this morning. Definitely some grown ones. Only saw one live one today and it wasn't poisonous. Did find an oak snake on the stairs in the house on Friday. I thought it was a joke at first till I stomped it and it squirmed.

Have you ever heard of a Ferdelance? A fella I know killed two of these. Said they were real aggressive. Thought they were rattlesnakes at first but they weren't. Someone keyed them out to be Ferdelance. Never seen one of these and didn't know we had them.

I got a couple of rattlesnakes just over a week ago. They weren't very big just around 2' in length.
Son surprised one helping to fix fence today.
They are out here too.

I've got guardensnakes around the house and barn. In the past month and a half I've seen a bunch. Oh, and one egg snake, the 5 to 6 foot long kind that scare the $hit out of you when you are picking up old feed sacks to throw and they are in the pile.

Thats one thing iowa has going for it no poisonouse snakes and barely any snakes at all jsut a few garder snakes and a few other small nonpoisonouse ones. Ferdelance is from south america. you should call someone on that cuase they aren't supposed to be there and are extremely dangerouse.
here is some info i found on google on them. http://www.ypte.org.uk/docs/factsheets/ ... lance.html
The fer-de-lance is the most dangerous snake of Central and South America, and causes more human deaths than any other American reptile. On average, a fer-de-lance injects 105mg of venom in one bite, although a venom yield of up to 310mg has been recorded while milking them. The fatal dose for a human is 50mg.

Two cows and calf hit by something. Don't know if they were rattlers or moccasins.

iowafarmer":mr5yp885 said:
Thats one thing iowa has going for it no poisonouse snakes and barely any snakes at all jsut a few garder snakes and a few other small nonpoisonouse ones.

Maybe not where you're at, but there are actually quite a few species of snakes in Iowa, including Copperheads and rattlers. Most of them, including the poisonous ones, are found along the Mississippi, so they'd be quite a ways from your place.

Hope ya'll got all the ferdelances down there killed, Jog. Don't want 'em spreading up this way. Speaking of Oak Snakes, my Mother's Treeing Feist had one bayed up in the Weber grill yesterday evening. My 11 yr old was throwing pine cones at it to try and roust it from the grill. I went in the house and left it like that.

Saw a big Kingsnake this morning down by the mailbox.. They swallow rattlesnakes whole. I wonder if they eat ferdelances?

Hard to believe but I think I saw a Gaboon Viper chasing a poison dart frog in the crown of a 100 ft Water Tupelo growing in the edge of the creek. Kinda hard to id at that height though.

Put my back out and then put my back back in - two different snakes. Back was out for about two weeks, feels pretty good right now - haven't done anymore spraying and don't think I'll look at any more hay!

ga. prime":209c7pst said:
Hard to believe but I think I saw a Gaboon Viper chasing a poison dart frog in the crown of a 100 ft Water Tupelo growing in the edge of the creek. Kinda hard to id at that height though.

He11 ga...don't worry about identification...just shoot. :lol2:

True, I saw a show on National Geographic or some such channel about all the people that import some exotic poisonous snake and then turn it loose. Why these snakes are allowed to be imported I can't imagine.

Me and my friends were fishing on the river about 3 weeks ago and we saw about 9 cotton mouths.... one was about 5 foot long and it swam up to my friends boat and struck at him then my friend hit it with a paddle...didn't kill it but sure made it hurt. I was ready to leave after I saw the first one

Latest posts