Snaked bite

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms":28oqta18 said:
Got bit by a copperhead myself when I was a freshman in high school, bit me on the second toe of my right foot as I slid a boot on. Spent the night in the hospital. Copperheads, believe it or not, are more agressive than most venemous snakes in the U.S. It's good that their venom isn't more potent; more people would be seriously ill, and perhaps dead.

Ha, that explains why some of the guys on this board are just not right. :lol:

I find most moccasins down here to be very aggressive. As a kid I had them swim across ditches 10-12 feet wide to come over to my side then start climbing the bushes up towards me. I saw this several times just before I put a bullet in them. One other time I was hunting and sitting in an old hallowed out black berry stand. I kept hearing something coming behind me in the leaves. I thought it was quail. After the noise got real close I finally turned around real slow to see a moccasin coming about two feet from me. I had to dispatch him with the 12 gauge.

D.R. the last cow I had bit had quite a fan club hanging around too. I shot her and pulled her to a back field and a couple days later she was still intact. Next time you get the opportunity try to watch for it.

flaboy-":1zok1cxk said:
cypressfarms":1zok1cxk said:
Got bit by a copperhead myself when I was a freshman in high school, bit me on the second toe of my right foot as I slid a boot on. Spent the night in the hospital. Copperheads, believe it or not, are more agressive than most venemous snakes in the U.S. It's good that their venom isn't more potent; more people would be seriously ill, and perhaps dead.

Ha, that explains why some of the guys on this board are just not right. :lol:

I find most moccasins down here to be very aggressive. As a kid I had them swim across ditches 10-12 feet wide to come over to my side then start climbing the bushes up towards me. I saw this several times just before I put a bullet in them. One other time I was hunting and sitting in an old hallowed out black berry stand. I kept hearing something coming behind me in the leaves. I thought it was quail. After the noise got real close I finally turned around real slow to see a moccasin coming about two feet from me. I had to dispatch him with the 12 gauge.

D.R. the last cow I had bit had quite a fan club hanging around too. I shot her and pulled her to a back field and a couple days later she was still intact. Next time you get the opportunity try to watch for it.
ive been chased by moccasins before them s.o.b give me the willies more then rattlers or copperheads

My uncle lost more cattle to death adders then eastern brown and taipans together.

The problem with the death adder is that they just sit there on the ground, usually under a rock or bush, and bite the cattle should they step too close.

Bad way to go too i'd say. You remain conscious as paralysis sets in, shutting down all your muscles, and you stop breathing but can't move or call for help.

cypressfarms":2c3tcdlv said:

Out of all the piosionus snakes Timber Rattlers have to be the worse and most dangerous, they depend on there camoflauge for protection and will not move. If you hear a Timber Rattler you are in trouble as they will let you step right in the middle of them. Much rather run up on a Diamondback as he will let you know

We have Pigmy rattlers down here also. We call them ground rattlers becuase they do not have rattles like a diamondback but their rattles make more of a buzzing sound. Nasty little buggers too. They only get about 18 inches long and like to hide in plants and shurbs around your house so you can just stick your hand in there to pull weeds and oops. I have seen them up in small bushes also on the limbs. I have learned to pull the bushes back and take a look see before reaching in for anything.

They look like a minature diamondback without the rattles. Very poisonous for such a small snake.

there was a kid that found a bunch of baby pygmies a few years back and went fishing with them thinking they were worms. he didnt make it.

Can't help with copperhead info, but have had countless "encounters" with rattle snake bites, everything from my youngest son at 18 months (why I still kill them anywhere near the house) to most dogs ever owned to cats, horses and at least dozen head of cattle over the years. Somewhere you can find a list of which animals are affected more or less than others by snake bites. All I remember is cats are one of the most immune. In my experience I have only seen one cow die from a possible snake bite. I say possible because she was also full of plastic bags and other trash (we are in a migration path plus have an interstate that bisects us, no way to get it all picked up on 22 sections!).

Infection or nerve damage is the main problem with humans. I doubt I would pay a vet to treat snakebite on a cow or dog, for sure on a kid or horse, wouldn't waste money on a cat, they do fine either way (first time I paid on a cat, next time didn't - no difference in reactions/recovery)

found a 5 or 6 foot blacksnake today...thought about killing it, because I dont like snakes anyways...but I figured I could put up with at least 1 snake, as long as he's eating a lot of mice, and hopefully he's eating other snakes too :lol:

Not an expert or probably near as knowledgeable as the majority of these folks here. but.... in one summer we killed 34 rattlers in our front yard. had many cows, dog, etc bit at one time or another. Dad just always pumped em with antibiotic and if they were down for any lenghth of time - if they were bit on the foot he had a sling from the rafters of the barn and would hang them awhile. hope this helps.

I mean't he would hang them to exercise their legs, etc. after I read that was not a great post. sorry. been a really really long day. :(

We had an ol cow bit by a rattleheadedcoppermoccasin. A knot came up about the size of a baseball and drained for a couple of weeks and finally went away. But at about the same time our nieghbor had one bit it died after about a month and that was with the vet working on it a couple of times. U never can tell I guess.

Latest posts