Snake Control

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2xgz5s6i said:
A snake is a snake is a snake.
HOE TIME!!
Or shotgun time! I about stepped on a little snake at the mailbox the other day, went to the house got a 12ga, went back out there he was still there, and 3 shots later there was just a hole where the snake was. Did I mention nothing bothers me more than a snake :lol2:

lol I dont kill black snakes but the spreading atter did receive a fatal 12 gauge blast of turkey load it was just too weird.

novatech":3rbfnups said:
slick4591":3rbfnups said:
That is not a copperhead. It looks more like a spreading adder (hognose), which is a nonpoisonous snake.
Looks like it would work good around the chicken coop for egg snakes.
Right. Not a copperhead. Does look like a hognose but not positive. I hate to see people kill harmless snakes under most circumstances.

skyhightree1":26whuc36 said:
Guys let me show you my snakes and let them bother you a lil bit

That is an interesting color for Heterodon platyrhinos, Hognose snake. It is the dark phase. The common phase here is the spotted phase. Nice pictures.

inyati13":1xxhpnu3 said:
novatech":1xxhpnu3 said:
slick4591":1xxhpnu3 said:
That is not a copperhead. It looks more like a spreading adder (hognose), which is a nonpoisonous snake.
Looks like it would work good around the chicken coop for egg snakes.
Right. Not a copperhead. Does look like a hognose but not positive. I hate to see people kill harmless snakes under most circumstances.
There is no harmless snake, if I saw any kind of snake at just the wrong time I could have a massive heart attack.

inyati13":157nl0vy said:
skyhightree1":157nl0vy said:
Guys let me show you my snakes and let them bother you a lil bit

That is an interesting color for Heterodon platyrhinos, Hognose snake. It is the dark phase. The common phase here is the spotted phase. Nice pictures.

Thanks the spreading atter was me walking in the woods the other snake was at my moms house while I was fixing her irrigation system i went to turn on the water valve and got a surprise as it was sitting underneath it lol

This was today's snake. Place I'm working has already yield 15 - 16 counting this one. But this one is special. I think its a mutant snake. A GMO snake because its half rabbit by weight. Since its a new species I've called it a cottonmouthsnattlerake. Snattle-rake for short.

17720_1461277120836849_5081810991309587923_n.jpg

denvermartinfarms":btycg6qi said:
greybeard":btycg6qi said:
A snake is a snake is a snake.
HOE TIME!!
Or shotgun time! I about stepped on a little snake at the mailbox the other day, went to the house got a 12ga, went back out there he was still there, and 3 shots later there was just a hole where the snake was. Did I mention nothing bothers me more than a snake :lol2:

Just something so creepy about an animal being able to move around on dry land without arms or legs. It's just not natural. :yuck:

My opinion of snakes would be different if we had any venomous ones around here, but all we have are 'good' snakes.. garter, king, rubber boas, and the like.

I ran over a beautiful snake a while back with the mower... black with a yellow stripe on each side and red spots above the stripes.. I think I've sent Ron a picture of it, but can't remember what he said it was.
We have a piece of plywood covering a hole in the ground, and 2 BIG FAT garter snakes have called it home... the crickets come to them, so they really don't have to do much to stay fed, and it's COOKING hot under there

Jogeephus":ntwfvn2u said:
This was today's snake. Place I'm working has already yield 15 - 16 counting this one. But this one is special. I think its a mutant snake. A GMO snake because its half rabbit by weight. Since its a new species I've called it a cottonmouthsnattlerake. Snattle-rake for short.

17720_1461277120836849_5081810991309587923_n.jpg

It's a Canebrake rattler, a color phase of the Timber rattler. Rabbits are the preferred prey of Timber rattlers over much of their range.

I think that they're amazing animals. I admit that I am glad that I don't have to worry the slightest about where I put my hands or where I step anywhere near where I live, since we don't have any venomous species here. That doesn't stop many of the ignorant locals from insisting that we do. Anything that lives in the water is automatically a water moccasin. Anything which rattles it's tail they automatically consider a rattlesnake. I went for years never finding a rattler in the wild in any of the places I searched where I visited where they were common, then finally got lucky within the last 5 years and have seen 5 species.

Friends in the south have amusing tales of the surprises that they've found which fell on their heads from the barn rafters, or when they reached into a dark chicken nest without looking closely. If they only knew how lucky they were.

Latest posts