Pond grass is out of control. Does anyone have any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of the grass in my pond. I'm thinking about dumping salt around the perimeter of the pond. Just wondering if it will kill the fish?

Grass carp work but you need to get them out after they have the grass eat down. Is your water clear? If it is you need to fertilize it. The clearwater allows sunlight to reach the bottom and the grass to grow. Fertilize causes an algae bloom in the water that basically shades out the grass.

I fertilized the pond and now the grass is really growing. There's two kinds some thick grass that grows from the shore out, and then the floating pond grass starts. Diquat and liquid copper killed it for a while but it's back. I spread 50lbs of copper crystals along the shore today. So I'm sure all the minnows will be floating by morning. I'm thinking about a ton of salt. I bought 30 12" inch grass carp last year, and it's just getting worse.

You can spray with Rodeo, it's fish safe. The only caveat to that would be to only kill one part of the pond at a time so the rotting vegetation doeesnt deplete the oxygen in the water too much.
Or you can use Roundup (or probably any other Glyphosate) with the same results. We had a pond that was over grown with spatterdock. Tried mechanical removal but it seems like we always missed a bit of root and the stuff came back. Sprayed it with Roundup (a small section at a time) and it cleared it right out.

This is a handy sight for label about herbicides

Spray it with Roundup. Well you can't do that because its not labeled for it but they have another herbicide called Rodeo I believe which is Roundup only it costs about 10 times what Roundup does so spray that and be legal because it would suck to have yourself sue yourself. One thing though, don't spray all of it at one time. Break it up in sections because when the grass dies and begins to rot it will deplete the oxygen and kill your fish.

Highgrit,
check out UGA fisheries website, publications, remember something on there that pond levels under 3 ft. that fertilization of minimal value to control pond weeds. Depth not conducive to shading. Several year ago paying pond management company, said spraying Rodeo, saw roundup jug in truck. Last year duckweed around shallows my lake. Sprayed generic roundup, worked fine.

panhemn2.jpg

if this is some of what growing turn the cows loose on it, its good cow feed.

wlamarparmer":14k1dzvz said:
Several year ago paying pond management company, said spraying Rodeo, saw roundup jug in truck. Last year duckweed around shallows my lake. Sprayed generic roundup, worked fine.
Dang, they could have at least poured the roundup in a empty rodeo jug before they got to your place.

highgrit":272ae11u said:
I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of the grass in my pond. I'm thinking about dumping salt around the perimeter of the pond. Just wondering if it will kill the fish?
HG, I saw someone mentioned Karmex. You might want to read the following first:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.p ... mber=33898
Ask your questions here:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.p ... =14&page=1

Your weed sounds like what we call bushy pond weed. Proper name is southern naiad.

The grass closest to shore is what I'm having trouble controlling. Almost looks like centipede lawn grass.

Break the pond into thirds when you spray it and wait one month between applications. Spray on a calm day so the wind doesn't push it around the surface.
This is from a friend of mine that does aquatic weed control for a living.

Thanks Hook, I don't have a month to wait though. I'm tired of dealing with pond grass. If I could only get my pastures to grow grass like my pond

I'm trying my best not to have a major fish kill. But I'm going to get rid of the grass one way or the another.

highgrit":8z2c89j6 said:
I fertilized the pond and now the grass is really growing. There's two kinds some thick grass that grows from the shore out, and then the floating pond grass starts. Diquat and liquid copper killed it for a while but it's back. I spread 50lbs of copper crystals along the shore today. So I'm sure all the minnows will be floating by morning. I'm thinking about a ton of salt. I bought 30 12" inch grass carp last year, and it's just getting worse.
Copper sulfate will kill it....best to do only about 25% of the surface at a time.

Latest posts