Pond grass is out of control. Does anyone have any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

The copper sulfate is fertilizer to the carpet grass. I used 8 gallons of Cutrine plus liquid copper last year. This year I've used a 100 lbs of copper sulfate crystals so far. I'm fixing on getting serious next week. I'll post the pictures of the fish kill. ;-) don't hold your breath.

Highgrit,if you are in a hurry maybe after you sprayed you could use a wind driven or solar pump to aerate the pond and infuse oxygen. It may keep some of the fish alive.

Jalopy":16na6qlz said:
Highgrit,if you are in a hurry maybe after you sprayed you could use a wind driven or solar pump to aerate the pond and infuse oxygen. It may keep some of the fish alive.
Yes I'm in a hurry, I've been fighting grass and algae for 5 years and counting. But the worst thing is I'm losing the battle. I think I need some nuclear weapons, or WMD's.

highgrit":w5252dnc said:
The copper sulfate is fertilizer to the carpet grass. I used 8 gallons of Cutrine plus liquid copper last year. This year I've used a 100 lbs of copper sulfate crystals so far. I'm fixing on getting serious next week. I'll post the pictures of the fish kill. ;-) don't hold your breath.
HG check the concentration on that copper sulfate. Ordinarily that stuff will kill a dam big tree. (Or it did mine anyway :lol2: :lol2: )

A friend of mine sprayed some kind of copper fungicide on his persimmon fruit orchard and it caused all the leaves and fruit to fall off but I don't think it killed the trees. HG, your pond could turn into a peat bog.

Ga.prime if I don't get it weed free the fish are dead anyway. And that's a shame because the fishing is excellent. But I'm going to drain it and put a liner in it.

Is it leaking?

Had the same problem with mine years ago. Added a couple of sterile grass carp which did the trick. When the pond eventually went dry due to drought, I steepened the sides to 1' deep for every 3' out. The weeds didn't come back.

Have seen others use everything from herbicides to water dyes but those seemed to be temporary solutions.

highgrit":h1yr3zff said:
Jalopy":h1yr3zff said:
Yes I'm in a hurry, I've been fighting grass and algae for 5 years and counting. But the worst thing is I'm losing the battle. I think I need some nuclear weapons, or WMD's.

Have you tried drawing the water down about a foot or two in the fall, spraying the exposed perimeter then letting it fill back up in the spring?

Latest posts