Smut grass control

Help Support CattleToday:

Lisagrantb

Reaction score
LSU ag guy said that this grass thrives in sandy hard packed soil (my soil type) and breaking it up was the best way. A buddy of mine that is a chemical rep said if I sprayed it in optimal conditions that you only get 60-70% kill and it's $25/acre. He also said that some people have used a wipe bar with pretty good success. Does anyone have experience with this grass?

LSU ag guy said that this grass thrives in sandy hard packed soil (my soil type) and breaking it up was the best way. A buddy of mine that is a chemical rep said if I sprayed it in optimal conditions that you only get 60-70% kill and it's $25/acre. He also said that some people have used a wipe bar with pretty good success. Does anyone have experience with this grass?
It loves East Texas.
A disc and spot spray with round up.
It is a never ending battle.
In my experience it has trouble in crab grass. The crab grass choked out most of it here.
E14BEF5B-E3E8-4873-8EB6-6DB6DA124F5E.jpeg

I have quite a bit of it too. There is an herbicide designed to kill it, but when I asked my spray guy about it he said that spray is pretty rough on bahia grass too. If I killed the smut grass and the bahia I'd be looking at a bunch of bare ground.

I HATE smuttgrass!! Velpar will kill it but will also kill trees. Glyphosate will kill it and everything around it. Then you have other weeds come up. Pronone power pellets are expensive but handy. Same active ingredient as Velpar.
I HATE smuttgrass! Harder to control than Chinese tallows.