Smooth fiberglass electric fence posts

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
What happened was I was in a hurry(Haste makes waste) last fall to get a temporary fence up in a corn field to allow my cows to glean a friends corn stalks. So I went to a farm supply store and bought 50 smooth fiberglass fence posts for temporary fencing. They worked okay but I don't know how to fasten the smooth wire to the posts so that it stays at the right height. It just wants to slip down all the time. I tried circling the wire and post twice and then twisting the tie wire tight, I tried a figure eight above and below the electric fence with the tie wire.It still wants to slip. The posts are 3 1/2 ft tall and 3/8" diameter. I plan on using them again for temporary cross fencing this spring if I can figure a better way to tie the wire to them. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks Dun. I will look for some at the farm store or order from ken cove. Yes they are the sun resistant type. I had some others years ago that did shed fiberglass real soon after I started using them. Thanks again.

Jalopy":1gffwmu3 said:
Yes they are the sun resistant type. I had some others years ago that did shed fiberglass real soon after I started using them.

We have several hundred of them. When we bought this farm they left about o 100 of the shedding ones behind. Since then all I buy are the coated ones. About half way up I spray paint a splotch all the way around. That way I can tell from a distance which ones I have ot deal with. Most of the sedders have been used up as stays on the permanent hot wire. Still run into a few every once in a while.

dun":2dwpauta said:
There are spring clips that slide over the post and the wire slips into.
http://kencove.com/fence/Clips_detail_F3C.php
I hope you got the sunguard/coated posts. If not you'll have fiberglass splinters like crazy. Even through leather gloves after a year or 2.

I will never forget the first time I encountered those uncoated posts. I went to pick up a handful to throw out. Took awhile for my hands to get over that.

You could drill a hole(s) and then slip a cotter pin over the wire and then thru the post.

I got this idea from one of Greg Judy's books.

Best Regards..........

bart.

dun":2uu8ionl said:
There are spring clips that slide over the post and the wire slips into.
http://kencove.com/fence/Clips_detail_F3C.php
I hope you got the sunguard/coated posts. If not you'll have fiberglass splinters like crazy. Even through leather gloves after a year or 2.

I had the same problem with the wire sliding on the post. I found one bag of torsion spring clips at TSC. They worked great. I haven't seen them again at our local store.

Latest posts