Smoking Fish

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Joe~~! gator
chef2.gif
no problem as long as you show me how it's done.
waffen093.gif

Yote~~~not to sure about either
ahh.gif

Rattlesnake~~~how are they pickled?

I'll see if I can find my mamaws' reciepe for groundhog. It was her favorite meat after rabbit.

Gator is easy. As any good southerner would do, we just deep fry it in strips. Looks a lot like chicken tenders and tastes about the same but a little different twang to it. Hadn't pickled rattlesnake but have fried it and baked it in a white sauce that I must say is delicious. Most folks would love it as long as they didn't know what they were eating. Good thing about snake too is they are easy to clean. Coyote was a mystery meat one night cause we have all been taught you shouldn't shoot something unless you are going to eat it. Well we tried to be true but I don't think we will ever do it again. It was about as rank as bear meat even though my buddy's wife how did he say it - "soaked it in marmalade all night". :lol:

Oh boy, I see this thing as going South on us again mnmt. :nod: Those smoked fish you have are a great delicacy to me although I do prefer the trout or salmon over carp or redhorse. As far as the Northern variety of crayfish, I have just returned from a fishing trip to Ontario and we love nothing better than sending the kids down to the shore and catching a pailful of crayfish. Now I never eat the little devils so I can't speak to the flavor, but it keeps the darned kids out of your hair for a few hours every day. :D

P.S. the walleye fishing was FANTASTIC! Oh and the OV was delicious ;-)

I went fishing in Canada once and caught some Walleye. I thought they were blind. :oops: Caught some pike to and I think I caught a muskeye? it was huge. I would have cut my pinky off for some shortning, kechup and some spiced flower.

Joe, I have no doubt you have some good recipes for gator. :nod: What I need is for you to demonstrate how you get them ready for the pan. :clap: You know, a step by step demonstration. And I'm trying to picture cleaning a rattle snake, might need a step by step for that too. :D Boy!! JUST not sure about eating yote. I'm sure not gonna go down South to eat Yotes.
Misty, those Canadian fishing trips are a great time. Shore lunch! You ought to tell the Southern folks about a Walleye shore lunch. REALLY! not to many things to compare it to.

mnmtranching":haoh8l1e said:
Joe, I have no doubt you have some good recipes for gator. :nod: What I need is for you to demonstrate how you get them ready for the pan. :clap: You know, a step by step demonstration. And I'm trying to picture cleaning a rattle snake, might need a step by step for that too. :D Boy!! JUST not sure about eating yote. I'm sure not gonna go down South to eat Yotes.
Misty, those Canadian fishing trips are a great time. Shore lunch! You ought to tell the Southern folks about a Walleye shore lunch. REALLY! not to many things to compare it to.

MNM....down South a "shore lunch" is a 12 pack, a chunk of cheese and a couple cans of vienna sausage. (The cheese and sausage are optional) :lol2: :lol:

TexasBred":39cztsp6 said:
mnmtranching":39cztsp6 said:

MNM....down South a "shore lunch" is a 12 pack, a chunk of cheese and a couple cans of vienna sausage. (The cheese and sausage are optional) :lol2: :lol:

Exactly right! That is my standard package on a fishing trip.

TexasBred":tgppsgr8 said:
mnmtranching":tgppsgr8 said:

Okay mnmt here goes....First you have to catch a stringer full of walleyes. Head into a nice spot on the shore(follow local laws here with where you land!) You have to have a 2 big cast iron frying pans. Build a fire, let it die down to coals meanwhile, fillet the fish, cut up a bunch of potatoes and onions. Put some oil in the pans and start the potatoes and onions. In a bit, dredge the fish in your favorite breading and put em on. The TWO most important ingredients to a successful shore lunch is the walleye(of course) and a cooler packed full of ice and Canadian beer(of course). My fav is the OV or Old Vienna :D Enjoy!

Sorry TB with the exception of the beer the rest sounds gross! :lol2:

Misty when you've been fishing hard since daybreak anything taste good..Heck i even hear that Spam is setting sales records every month. Don't know about "Vienna" Beer from Canada....probably a whole lot better than "Lone Star" (wouldn't have to be too good) but the Vienna Sausage are not that bad when you're hungry. :nod:

MistyMorning":3b6f4rln said:
TexasBred":3b6f4rln said:
mnmtranching":3b6f4rln said:

Okay mnmt here goes....First you have to catch a stringer full of walleyes. Head into a nice spot on the shore(follow local laws here with where you land!) You have to have a 2 big cast iron frying pans. Build a fire, let it die down to coals meanwhile, fillet the fish, cut up a bunch of potatoes and onions. Put some oil in the pans and start the potatoes and onions. In a bit, dredge the fish in your favorite breading and put em on. The TWO most important ingredients to a successful shore lunch is the walleye(of course) and a cooler packed full of ice and Canadian beer(of course). My fav is the OV or Old Vienna :D Enjoy!

Sorry TB with the exception of the beer the rest sounds gross! :lol2:
We use "Shore Lunch" breading ~ it comes in a box. My husband got cajun flavored one time. One time. He got the walleye all to himself! :lol2: We mix it with beer until it makes a batter, plenty watery ~ then we fry it in butter or deep fry in oil. We do the potatoes and onions as well in a big cast iron pan.

After I eat all the sausages, I like to drink the juice out of a vienna sausage can.
I do that as well. Also dip crackers in kipper snacks juice until it is gone. If I am hungry and my children eat all the kipper snacks, I smash carckers in it untl it gets like paste, then eat that.

You have kipper snacks down south? Is very much like sardines, but even better!

Yes, we have kippers. I also like to crumble crackers up in the sardine/kipper juice and eat it with a fork. My favorite are Beach Cliffs sardines with green chilis. My real favorite are King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil, imported from Norway. Don't get them much because they cost three times as much as Beach Cliffs.

ga. prime":609wy1j6 said:
After I eat all the sausages, I like to drink the juice out of a vienna sausage can.

I wonder how it would go on pancakes. :???:
food-smiley-002.gif

ga. prime":lqddxya5 said:

ga...yep..not bad at all. Course you gotta remember, a lot of these yanks ain't use to prime meat as evidenced by MNM's "carp" he smoked and lovingly referred to as "good eating". If that's good eating then he would love possum and sweet taters.....

mnmt, I wouldn't put it on pancakes. I'd use some Log Cabin or Mrs. Buttersworths. Might be good basted on those red horse suckers. :lol2:

WE agree on the brew.

YOU guys are onto me about them CARP SUCKERS~~~~~
vomit-smiley-026.gif

Latest posts