Smoking Fish

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
The raw material.

P1010021-6.jpg

Ready for the smoker.

P1010027.jpg

Finished off in the oven 1 1/2 hours at 175 degrees.
Tried it tonight, very very GOOD :!:

P1010051.jpg

Do you call those carp or suckers? Either way I'm surprised that you are eating them. We consider them to be a trash fish and kill them before tossing them back in or up on the bank. Not saying that they weren't tasty it's just that I have never known of anyone eating them.

Nope not Carp or Suckers. Although I've heard that prepared correctly they can be made edible to, haven't tried them. These are "Red Horse" a native cold water species to the upper Mississippi tributaries and other cold water Northern lakes. Flavor and texture much like lake trout.

Yep, we've got them here in our streams and rivers. People catch them by snagging them with a treble hook. Some may eat them but I've never known of it. I figured it was just for the fun of it. Live and learn! :D

Got a great recipe for those fish. You already have the fish and boards.

Fillet fish
Place fillets on pine board
Bake in oven at 350 for 45 minuets
Remove from oven put fish in trash
Eat pine board

We used to catch a lot of those in set nets in the river. Never ate any. Alway heard they tasted bad. I used them for fertilizer like the Indians used to do. Just dig a hole and put them under whatever you're planting. Also gave a lot away to old time black folks who gladly accepted them. They could cook anything and make it taste wonderful. I do like smoked fish though. Mullet and Shad are the two kinds of fish I smoke.

Used to eat a lot of carp and suckers back when I was bowfishing frequently. Never smoked them but we'd boil 'em, pull the bones out, and add seasonings like a salmon croquet and fry them.

They was as good as it gets.

That smoked fish looks good too.

Ive caught a lot of those old carp and enjoyed every minute of it.They put up a good fight. We always called them Bugle Mouth Bass.WE always threw them out on the bank,till one day an old indian friend of mine smoked some for us and i'm here to tell you they're just as good as smoked salmon.

Cal

These things really are good smoked, but so are lots of things.

I think maybe fish taste a little different coming out of cold clear water. Not saying your waters aren't cold and clear, I never fished down there. These are lake fish, go upstreams to spawn when the water hits about 50 degrees, then back to the lakes.

Anyway, I'm purty sure these are a sub spicies of the type of similar fish Y'all have in the South.

mnmtranching":niff72k5 said:

I think maybe fish taste a little different coming out of cold clear water. Not saying your waters aren't cold and clear, I never fished down there. These are lake fish, go upstreams to spawn when the water hits about 50 degrees, then back to the lakes.

Anyway, I'm purty sure these are a sub spicies of the type of similar fish Y'all have in the South.

Clear water in the south is rare. In LA, it is near impossible to find. The carp down here are are so bad that very few people eat them.

By the way, how did you catch those suckers. They are vegetarian like a carp?

We be catchin carp and suckers on wet oatmeal tightly packed around a small treble hook.

Sometimes dough, but it doesn't stay on the hook as well.

mnmtranching":3f15h711 said:

MNM that may be the secret. Catch those things down here and they taste like a big mouth full of mud. And so many bones they're not even worth the effort....especially the carp. Buffalo on the other hand can be made to taste edible..if you have enough cold beer. :banana:

We've got plenty of clear mountain streams and rivers in Ky. In fact we have more miles of running water than any other state but I'm pretty sure it's not as cold as you have up there. Eat them and enjoy them in good health. If I'm ever up that way maybe I can stop in and try some. :D

Here's the story, My new neighbor bought a 200' piece of river property. Paid more then I paid for my ranch. :nod: Brought these over, snagged them with a treble hook. I haven't gone after these things since I was a kid. I eat Walleye, small bass, and bluegill. :cowboy:
I had told him I do a little smoking. They did turn out good. Soaked the fillets in heavy pickling salt, rubbed in a good bit of brown sugar, smoked 6 hrs in alder, then finished in the oven. Usually I would do it all in the smoker. But, I ran out of beer at the farm. :drink:

mnmtranching":3p9npm7l said:
Here's the story, My new neighbor bought a 200' piece of river property. Paid more then I paid for my ranch. :nod: Brought these over, snagged them with a treble hook. I haven't gone after these things since I was a kid. I eat Walleye, small bass, and bluegill. :cowboy:
I had told him I do a little smoking. They did turn out good. Soaked the fillets in heavy pickling salt, rubbed in a good bit of brown sugar, smoked 6 hrs in alder, then finished in the oven. Usually I would do it all in the smoker. But, I ran out of beer at the farm. :drink:

That my friend is the unforgiveable sin. :banana:

Those smoked fish look good. They look a lot like our carp. Must be in the same family or something. My great granddaddy used to run a lil country store and he had a carp pond behind the store. Each year he would have a big gathering of people and cook carp chowder. It was really good. Best I can remember he would clean them, de-vein them and put them in an onion sack and boil the meat off the bones. The meat would flavor the chowder which was full of onions, potatoes and corn. It was good but I was too young to learn how to do it.

Latest posts