Smoking Fish

Help Support CattleToday:

GP, what's the name of the vienna sausage that has the drawing of the boy smiling on the can. For the life of me I can't remember the brand but they sell it at the Dollar Store. Those are good too. Little more spicy than the others but you definitely won't be drinking the juice out of those cans unless its at least 80 degrees cause its pure jell. Those are my favorite "summer sausage". ;-) :lol2: And those Sunny Sea smoked oysters - simply to die for.

Mnmtranching, I thought about you today and figured I'd try to get a few pictures of your quarry. I had hoped to get a picture of Allie for you but she was not to be found. All I could call up were babies. I had two larger ones that answered but I couldn't locate them to get a pic.

Here is a good den site. You can see the slide to the in the upper side of the photo. This gator is fair sized but nothing to brag about.

Allie3.jpg

This one answered me pretty good and I was able to locate him but it was kinda tough. Still too small though.

Allie2.jpg

Here's one that will be ready in a few years but he's only about three feet. Since you'll be diving in the water to pull it out we are going to need something a little bigger to justify getting your boots wet. :nod:

allie4.jpg

I called these four up in less than twenty minutes. Still nothing of any size but I heard a couple worth messing with but they just wouldn't show themselves.

allie5.jpg

If you look close at this little gator you will see that something bit about a foot off its tail. Now the one that bit this one's tail would be worth your getting wet for. ;-) Six or eight foot would be perfect. Reckon it would be any good smoked? (After previewing I don't think you can see it but suffice it to say something bit his tail off.)

Allie1.jpg

ga. prime":2f56tbe0 said:
Those are Prairie Boy sausage , Jo. :D

That's it. Those are nice and spicy but they are kinda gross if you eat them in the winter if you don't warm up the can. The pantry in my truck is stocked up at the Dollar General. :nod:

Hey Joe! Thems nice photos. How deep is that water? I'm gonna get in shape :nod:
Sure not gonna mess with the little ones. I want something big enough to SMOKE.
chef2.gif

It varies but probably averages about 5 foot. There are some deep holes that are around 16 feet. You don't have to get in any great shape cause I got a rope with a big treble hook on it. I don't like the idea of sticking my feet around on the bottom hoping it was hit good. Main thing is to remember to shut and lock the gate behind us cause these things are quite rare in Atlanta and they can get expensive. ;-) Only on special occasions will we harvest one but as you can see we are not hurting in numbers. What will blow your mind is a night trip with no lights until we call for a half hour or so. Then turn the lights on and see whose world you are in. I assure you it ain't yours and it is friggin freaky. :nod:

Jo - How do you "call" gators? We see them all the time when we are fishing cypress bottoms, but I never thought of calling them in.

Immitate the babies. Guteral aoint aoint aoint sound. Males eat the babies so they come running to get some and the mommas run to protect em. Least thats how I learned it.

Horticattleman":8bcpo55n said:
Immitate the babies. Guteral aoint aoint aoint sound. Males eat the babies so they come running to get some and the mommas run to protect em. Least thats how I learned it.

That's what I do. It sounds like a frog's croak but deeper. The bigger ones weren't moving but the little ones came on to me. Did get some answers from the bigger ones though but they wouldn't budge. Not a smart thing to do but you can catch a little one and it'll make a different "cry". You best have a gun ready cause sometimes ma will come and she will be miffed. :shock: But by and large they are pretty safe to be around unless you get around a nest.

Joe, Darn, I'm a little disappointed
confused-smiley-015.gif

I thought you hunted gator with a knife.
confused.gif

And you would demonstrate.
clap.gif

comin home from a party the other nite i hit a 5 ftr with my truck. right on the snout....took me an hr and ahalf to clean it when i got home...at 2 am...can you say buzzkiller. he had a lotta fat on him too..some happy fish out there somewhere.

just couldnt see leavin it in the road. i got alotta meat offa that 5 ftr..he was FAT!!!

There is one bad thing about eating gator...IT IS OILY. Everytime i eat it, I can feel my heart beating slower. Oh yeah, then you have to sweat it out the next day. :D

Never really noticed that about it. I had some that was a little muddy tasting once but never really had any that was oily tasting. How do ya'll normally cook it?

oily is a new one on me also. maybe not bled out enuff. my meat is in a cooler of ice for at least 3 days. lets the blood leach out. cant use the freezer cuz its too cold. unless ya set it up for it like a meatlocker

Deep fried. It doesn't taste oily, just has an oily texture. You notice it after you eat it.