Smoked Catfish

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
To all you catfishermen you owe it to yourself to try this recipe. Was catfishing this week and drinking some apple pie and got to wondering why I've smoked mullet, smoked salmon but never a catfish so I put it on my list of things to do. Finished them last night and I have to say they are wonderful - especially once they have cooled and rested.

Here is what I did.

Made up a 30 degree brine using

1 gallon of well water from a certified organic well
3/4's cup of organic canning salt (7.7 oz) orginated from the dehydrated inland sea of Utah.
1 cup organic brown sugar
2 TBS Black Pepper (Organic. Picked solely by one legged blind Sherpas on the east side of the Himalayan Mountains and only in the morning hours when the oil is at its highest)
1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper (Organic. Picked solely by drunken Mexicans in the Guadalajara desert on a full moon)

Soaked the free range catfish and one free range salmon in the brine for about six hours. Took fish out and let dry at room temp hoping to form a pellicle for smoking. After taking them out I dusted them lightly with black pepper and chipotle pepper. Ok, maybe it wasn't so lightly. I like things zesty.

IMG_6090.jpg

Got impatient and stuck them in the smoker at 170F under heavy pecan smoke.

I also did an experiment by leaving the skin on some of the cats as well as taking the skin off. Found taking the skin off is the way to go since the skin seems to want to stick worse than flesh.

Cooked till meat was flaky.

Ended up with this. I will be doing this again and can't believe I've bought into the idea that you cannot smoke catfish. This stuff is beyond good. Especially once its had time to cool and rest. Its sortof like kippers only much better. Next time I will be using PAM or some other non stick spray. I can see some limb lines on the Ocumulgee river in the near future. Need some big flatheads. Free range of course but I ain't about to stick my hand up in no holes.

IMG_6099.jpg

Some Jowl Bacon and other stuff I worked on last night.

IMG_6097.jpg

Jogeephus":2vvqo984 said:
All the fish are gone so I think everyone liked it as much as I did. Gotta do that again.
Our part of the country is not really "catfish" country. When we visit hubby's family in MO, whether for 5 days or 10 days, my only real "have to" is to go to a farm pond to fish with the FIL! And it seems like any acreage of 10 or more has a pond. FIL will be 100 in July. Still sharp as a tack, but physically slower. He still drives short distances, but no longer goes out by himself to fish, because he's not steady enough on slippery pond sides. So, he and I take a day, and we go fish'n! Hubby stands by with pistol to guard the stringer against water mocs and snappers. S'all good!

Jogeephus":2546se4h said:
That does sound nice. 100! Wow. Good conversation and a wealth of knowledge I'm sure.
He has stories, and knows lots about many things! MIL passed last summer, nearing her 99th BD. Dad still lives in the family home, with a little assistance with house-cleaning and yard work.

Looks great Jo. I also had never heard of anyone smoking Catfish. Looks like you nailed it! :tiphat:

Sure looks a lot better than my only attempt with catfish. No brine, just a little seasoning and on the pecan wood it went. Pulled it, tasted it and then went straight into the trash. :shock:

How long did the smoking take? 170 sounds a little cool to me. Is it cooked at (and to) that temperature?

I have quite a few of them "free range" catfish in my little pond I need to do something with. Well, they would be free range if'n they knew how to walk, anyway.......... :tiphat:

Slick, you need to give this a try. I had heard you can't smoke catfish but this stuff is awesome. I like it better than salmon and mullet. I'll definitely be doing this more often. Might even have to start noodling.

i smoked some cobia this weekend..that was real good....but a 6lb fillet. made some into spread and ate some like shark or salmon...yummy

That flathead should do wonderful. I hope to have a few shortly myself but I'll only dream of one that size.

alisonb":j5j030r1 said:
Jo, how long did you smoke the fish?

Just till their flakey so its best to keep them grouped by size cause they get ready at different times.

I'd like to do one of those large flatheads. No matter how big they get they still taste good.

We are going trout/bass fishing one of these weekends, have you ever tried smoking some of them? If so would you recommend using pecan or something else on them? Sorry, so many questions but would a simple salt and water brine not pehaps be better when preparing trout? Do you add a bowl of water to your smoker? Last question, is the catfish quite an oily fish? :D Thanks

Latest posts