preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Help Support CattleToday:

You don't have to keep up with all of em cottage just show one.

I ask you to look at the beginning of this thread. I was quite respectful to Joe. Even though hd was the only one who truly answered my question. Look at the dates.
Lots of time went by. Maybe something happened on another thread.
I've never called anyone on here a name just for voicing their opinion. I not sensitive. I'm proud and I'm going to give what I get....You can count on it.
Once again SHOW ME

callmefence":3sb7evbc said:

No, I was actually responding to TB's post he made Tuesday of this week. That's why I quoted him in my post.

Kingfisher":3sb7evbc said:
I wonder if it's something in the spice mix. I know I like Popeyes but something in their spice upsets me

Could be. I've also seen where a good many people get an upset stomach or heartburn from smoked meats especially where liquid smoke is used in lieu of actual smoke. Also some people smoke meat incorrectly which can lead to a sooty film on the meat surface. Coincidentally, this soot is also what liquid smoke is often made from so I can't help but think there is some connection here but I don't know.

Jogeephus":1fiiji3a said:
callmefence":1fiiji3a said:

No, I was actually responding to TB's post he made Tuesday of this week. That's why I quoted him in my post.

Kingfisher":1fiiji3a said:
I wonder if it's something in the spice mix. I know I like Popeyes but something in their spice upsets me

Could be. I've also seen where a good many people get an upset stomach or heartburn from smoked meats especially where liquid smoke is used in lieu of actual smoke. Also some people smoke meat incorrectly which can lead to a sooty film on the meat surface. Coincidentally, this soot is also what liquid smoke is often made from so I can't help but think there is some connection here but I don't know.

I know that Jo. And pardon me for not"accepting the chemistry" .
Even though it is not exactly what I was after.

I think I can smoke MY jerky without sodium nitrate and not cause the downfall of mankind.

Disclaimer.
If I fence should die from eating my Own jerky sticks, no one is to be held liable except me ,fence....and apparently the world will be short one azzhole.

I've used the same spice pack. Hunters blend from cabalas. . Smoked on mesquite chips.
In masterbuilt propane smoker. No liquid smoke. Just the spices and cure.

I'll go ahead and ask......what's the deal with the sea salt........sounds liberal ;-)

Jogeephus":31jm20c1 said:
Then you have those bun-wearers who successfully cure meat using only artisan sea salt because of the wonderful magical impurities these high priced sea salts contain. Bet you can't guess what one of these impurities might be. Yep, nitrate/ites.

Ok, you've gone from snack sticks to only jerky. Explain your process to me. Mainly the temps and duration you are smoking the meat.

Kingfisher":398k4nll said:

Could be. I've also seen where a good many people get an upset stomach or heartburn from smoked meats especially where liquid smoke is used in lieu of actual smoke. Also some people smoke meat incorrectly which can lead to a sooty film on the meat surface. Coincidentally, this soot is also what liquid smoke is often made from so I can't help but think there is some connection here but I don't know.[/quote]
Yea I believe that. There was discussion on another forum about people who just can't stomach smoke meat. Not sure if they understood it in depth but more than a few had the same experience.

Jogeephus":2986by7u said:
Jogeephus":2986by7u said:
Then you have those bun-wearers who successfully cure meat using only artisan sea salt because of the wonderful magical impurities these high priced sea salts contain. Bet you can't guess what one of these impurities might be. Yep, nitrate/ites.

Ok, you've gone from snack sticks to only jerky. Explain your process to me. Mainly the temps and duration you are smoking the meat.

Yeah sorry bout that. Just talking snack sticks. 80\20 ground venison and pork fat.
I grind the venison and pork then add the spice and cure per the instructions on the package. A package does 25 pounds and I usually do 12.5 pounds at a time.
After hand mixing I run it back through the grinder. Then we take in and stuff the casings.
Into the smoker for around a hour at the lowest heat it'll run . around 125.
Then I put in wood chips and turn up the fire to 200 and smoke until they read about 170. There have been times when I've smoked them hotter and faster due to time constraints. When their done They come in the house And I wipe off any grease with a paper towel. Once cool in a zip lock and in the fridge or freezer.

Thanks, knowing your process tells me a lot. What you are doing is actually baking the meat with smoke and at that high temperature you don't need any cure. This is the same as smoking BBQ. The one thing you should be aware of is if you are making it this way without any cure at all I wouldn't put the sticks in a plastic bag unless you are going to freeze them and if you freeze them you should remove from the plastic bag before thawing because if there is botulism in the meat then it could spore and and this could be deadly.

Jogeephus":3078uuue said:
Thanks, knowing your process tells me a lot. What you are doing is actually baking the meat with smoke and at that high temperature you don't need any cure. This is the same as smoking BBQ. The one thing you should be aware of is if you are making it this way without any cure at all I wouldn't put the sticks in a plastic bag unless you are going to freeze them and if you freeze them you should remove from the plastic bag before thawing because if there is botulism in the meat then it could spore and and this could be deadly.

Thanks

Back off the wood chips in your smoker and that may keep em from being too smokey tasting

Turkeybird":ujie9ii4 said:
Back off the wood chips in your smoker and that may keep em from being too smokey tasting

Too much smoke or smoke from wood that hasn't burned down good before smoking meat gives me bad heartburn.
If I let it burn down good it doesn't bother me. I don't know if it's too much smoke or the smoke from burning wood before it gets to down to coals

Latest posts