Small time haying tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

Edgoat

Reaction score
Some companies (like Hesston) are making round balers that require as little as 30 hp. A brochure even says you could use it with a (large) compact tractor.

With this in mind, have any of you small-time guys gone to just using a compact tractor (perhaps you don't even bale hay). I can think of a number of advantages to using compacts such as being able to trailer one with just a 1/2 ton truck; lower fuel consumption; lower price; lighter and smaller trailer necessary, etc.

Your thoughts?

It seems to me that compact tractors are for small jobs such as mowing a 2 or 3 acre lot or moving mulch or sand for landescaping jobs. Not hay work. I bought a man's hay equipment this past summer who had an antique 12 hp and a 35 or 40 hp compact tractor, and he said that he wouldn't tackle any field bigger than 5 or so acres. There's a web page that has hay equipment for small tracors, http://www.ccmachinery.com, but if I were you I would looked for a used 80 to 100 hp used tractor instead of buying a newer compact tractor for hay operation.

I think some of the newer compacts are more than enough to work some of the small baler, cutter, rakes, etc. MF and AGCO have some nice compacts with cabs and a 4sp powershift in them. They have enough frame and are plenty for a small square or round baler. I would look at one their 45 or 52 hp models though, much smaller and they may not be big enough.

agcntry":eetsh77j said:
I think some of the newer compacts are more than enough to work some of the small baler, cutter, rakes, etc. MF and AGCO have some nice compacts with cabs and a 4sp powershift in them. They have enough frame and are plenty for a small square or round baler. I would look at one their 45 or 52 hp models though, much smaller and they may not be big enough.

Be careful with the rating of these "compact" tractors. I hear these guys saying "oh we have as much or more HP than the JD model XXXX or MF model XXXX, or NH model XXXX". The problem is twofold. First they are often not heavy enough and secondly they DO NOT have the torque of these other tractors and torque is what gets the job done. I had a friend ask me about tractors and I made a recommendation. He bought a brand X compact instead. He called me to come look at it. When I drove up it looked like an overgrown lawn mower. I can drag that thing all over the field with one of my much older, lower HP, small Ag tractors. It also cost a much if not more than a full grown one. Compacts have their place but baling hay is not one of them.

I would not choose a compact over a utility model of the same HP mainly because of the weight difference. I want all the traction and stability I can get going down a hill with a baler behind. It is also my understanding that the internal parts on the utility models are much beefier. (longer life). My 32 HP Ford 2600 is more than enough tractor for average haymaking and big enough to feel safe.

I have heard that the plunger will take its toll on compact PTO's. Don't know if this is true or not just what I have heard.

WOW thats a flippin' good looking tractor!

If your asking me about what kind of compact tractor I was talking along the lines of a JD 970 or something that size or even a touch larger.

rngr":1bjep38w said:
WOW thats a flippin' good looking tractor!

If your asking me about what kind of compact tractor I was talking along the lines of a JD 970 or something that size or even a touch larger.

I wouldn't use it to pull a baler. At 30HP (PTO) it's pretty well done pulling itself. I would go as big as I could afford. I think you would be disappointed trying to pull a baler of any size with it.

flaboy+":30597pfj said:
I wouldn't use it to pull a baler. At 30HP (PTO) it's pretty well done pulling itself. I would go as big as I could afford. I think you would be disappointed trying to pull a baler of any size with it.

Good advice Flaboy; last I year bought a Ford 4000 (52 HP), and have since found out it's too big for the yard, too small for hard work in the pasture. Sure I can move round bales, and I can use the 6' box blade, but don't try pulling a disc or large clipper. I guess I'll be looking for a Deere now, kind of like the 2750 & 2950's. Mucho power but still not humongous. One drawback - I could no longer trailer it. I can load the Ford 4000 on my utility trailer an go, but I would need a serious flatbed trailer to move that Deere, and I wouldn't want to pull it with my 1500 Chevy.

cypressfarms":1ymbn410 said:
flaboy+":1ymbn410 said:

Good advice Flaboy; last I year bought a Ford 4000 (52 HP), and have since found out it's too big for the yard, too small for hard work in the pasture. Sure I can move round bales, and I can use the 6' box blade, but don't try pulling a disc or large clipper. I guess I'll be looking for a Deere now, kind of like the 2750 & 2950's. Mucho power but still not humongous. One drawback - I could no longer trailer it. I can load the Ford 4000 on my utility trailer an go, but I would need a serious flatbed trailer to move that Deere, and I wouldn't want to pull it with my 1500 Chevy.

No, no, not a Deere! :lol: Well they are good I guess, just too expensive for my blood. Before you buy take a look at Massey's. They use Perkins engines and let me tell you they are bullet proof.

My belief is , A man can never have too many tractors.

Case C 50, we once used one to pull a 4X4 roller, also used it to mow with an 8 foot fella once. The tractor was geared a little high but a dream to rake hay with.

flaboy+":30ym9svt said:
cypressfarms":30ym9svt said:
flaboy+":30ym9svt said:

No, no, not a Deere! :lol: Well they are good I guess, just too expensive for my blood. Before you buy take a look at Massey's. They use Perkins engines and let me tell you they are bullet proof.

Flaboy, I agree the greens are overpriced. The one's that I'm talking about (2750,2950) were made through the '80's and in to the 90's. I can't even think about affording a new green machine. I just can't find many other brands (case, mf, etc.) used tractors. I don't have the funds, or the "want" to go spend 20 to 30 thousand on a new tractor.

Cypress - if you want it to be easy to get around, don't go bigger than the 2750. The 2950s are 6 cylinders while the 2350, 2550, and 2750s are 4 cylinders. Makes quite a bit of difference in the length of the wheel base.

I have a 2555 and it's a good all around tractor but I wish it was a 2755. I like the fact that it's still heavy enough that bales on the loader aren't a problem even when there's nothing on the back. Can't say that about lighter tractors - or even some of the newer Deeres.

I have a 2140 cab and air it is the european model but it is the same tractor as the 2750 uses the same parts the only difference is the glass on the cab and head lights. I pull a 326 New Holland square baler and a Vermeer 554 XL round bailer. Great tractor a real work horse all the power a man needs.

cypressfarms":2gzscdri said:
Flaboy, I agree the greens are overpriced. The one's that I'm talking about (2750,2950) were made through the '80's and in to the 90's. I can't even think about affording a new green machine. I just can't find many other brands (case, mf, etc.) used tractors. I don't have the funds, or the "want" to go spend 20 to 30 thousand on a new tractor.

Cypress, look at fastline.com or http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/

If ya can't find what your looking for there, you aren't looking very hard. :lol:

The last one I bought I put a wanted ad out there on fastline.com. Two days later a guy from GA called me and told me what he had. I couldn't pass it up even though it was larger than what I was looking for at the time.

I use a JD 4120 w/400cx loader and we have 100 head and it works fine for everything.

Latest posts