small sq balers

Help Support CattleToday:

I dont know who makes the best square balers but new holland is a pretty popular brand in this area. And if you go with a older baler it is fairly easy to get parts for a new holland. I have a massey ferguson and it is a pretty good baler. But i have not baled but about a 1000 bales with it so far and have not had to buy any parts for it. And really dont know how hard it will be to find parts if i should ever need them.

And to you might find more people that are familiar with working on a new holland than other brands. But again that is just arround here. It may be a totally different story where you are from.

We ran a fleet of used balers when i was a kid. IH 420, NH 273, and NH 66. Dad's philosophy, make hay when the sun shines, if one breaks hook up to another one. Favorite was the 273. real reliable. Loaned the 420 to a neighbor, never saw it again. He kept it and sold it in his auction when he quit. This was about 20 years ago. I thought about the 420 about 5 years ago and mentioned it to dad, he said by George you are right, Fred never gave back our baler. He also loaned him an old hay wagon.

Stepper is right on on the parts. These days Deere or New Holland are the most accessible. Neighbors had a 14T.JD They liked it. Good luck. :)

Stepper":24f4fhoq said:
I dont know who makes the best square balers but new holland is a pretty popular brand in this area.

And to you might find more people that are familiar with working on a new holland than other brands. But again that is just arround here. It may be a totally different story where you are from.

I would go NH if you can. I just got a used NH316 ( 3000 bales ago ) and am very impressed. Even though it is an older baler it sure puts the hay through, maybe even as fast as my round baler.

When you are trying to make hay and have say a knotter problem it is invaluable to have neighbours/service people around who are familiar with the baler. I had a tying problem, called a friend and described it, he said check your springs, and bingo back in business after replacing a spring.

May be different if the colour of iron in your area is a different colour.

In the 70's and 80's we put up all our hay in small sqs, and baled for a couple neibors. We used a 68 New Holland Hayliner [still got it] We know that old baler baled at least 250,000 bales.
We had to do repairs, but easy to wok on.

mnmt

i just did not know which ne is best . i have ben using a J D 567 round baler for about 3yr but know very little about smal balers . thanks

JD 14T+24(?)T seems to be popular here.

If you are looking for something used, go with a Deere. Simple and easy to get parts for.

If you want a new one and have a dealer anywhere close, go with Hesston. Hands down the best new baler made.

I like my John Deere 336. I've used to for six baling seasons - about 5000 bales a season. They can be purchased fairly reasonably in this area.

It makes a nice uniform bale and the hydraulic kicker lays them in the rack nicely.

Just don't stick your head anywhere near it without the lockout engaged. The guy I bought it from got smacked in the face with the kicker pan and decided to sell it.

badaxemoo":19tjq3zq said:
It makes a nice uniform bale and the hydraulic kicker lays them in the rack nicely.

Just don't stick your head anywhere near it without the lockout engaged. The guy I bought it from got smacked in the face with the kicker pan and decided to sell it.

Just got a NH with the stolen JD kicker on it - what a riot! Launching the kids into the pool, nailing your buddies who volunteer to stack on the wagon, no need for a bale elevator you just wind er up and toss em into the mow!!

Quite frankly, I don't know why they haven't made it illegal up here! :lol:

Your story about the guy that sold it made me think of frenchies old avatar. :lol: :lol:

bitterweed":md9xwspa said:
who makes the best small sq balers

Hands down its gotta be a Hesston. There is no other baler that comes close to making as nice of a bale for leaf retention and density. I just bought my second one brand new last fall and have put around 14000 bales through it this year so far.

Latest posts