Small herd purchase, seem some guidance

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave from MN

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal. 2-9 year old Simmental cowns, bred to Black Angus bull. (1)2 1/2 year old Ang/simm bred to Angus bull-2nd calf, (1) 1 1/2 year old ang/simm heifer bred to Angus bull, (1) 6 month old 1/3simm 2/3 Angus heifer. Now owner is asking $3500 for all. I beleive this is a fairly good price. Short term, how small of an area could I relocate them to untill I can get my set up ready ( I figure late summer/early fall). What should I do for a herd check when I get them, if anything. Any advice is very much appriciated.

Welcome to the boards Dave,

It's hard to give advice without more info. $3500 sounds good, but what do the cattle look like? Do you have pics? If your just buying someone's culls $3500 could be way overpriced.

Not sure about your area in Minnesota, being from Louisiana, we are are two opposing ends of the country. If you have good grass, I would calculate 2 to 3 acres per head of cattle. The biggest worry I would have in Minnesota is not summer and fall, but how much hay you will need for the winter.

Herd check. This is tough, because by the question your a newbie. Nothing wrong with that, but more challenging. I would talk to a local large animal vet, ask them about a vaccinating program for your cattle, and follow that. If you have friends in the cattle business maybe they can help you with this one.

You may want to do a search on the topics that you think you need help with. There are some very good past discussions dealing with each part of your questions

Ditto on welcome to the boards Dave.
That may or may not be a good price for those animals.
Wait till you have your property as least. Then fit the animals to the resources. Plus the prices are liable to be lower in the fall. If you get an already manicured place you may need some of the purdy cows. If it's all brambles and undergrowth you might need something that will browse more.

Well all look really good except for one cow. She has a very large belly and is kind of sway backed. Decent udder on her though and her calve at side is a brute, they other cow is very nice. The 2 heifers and 2 1/5 year olds are very stocky and to me seem to be very long bodied compared to the 2 cows. I am going to offer $3200 for all. I do have 40 acres. Just need to get a decent fence up and a shelter. Have 2 other places I could keep them ,but the fences may need some work depending on how good a fence needs to be. Cattle all seem real docile.
cypressfarms":11r80myy said:
Welcome to the boards Dave,

It's hard to give advice without more info. $3500 sounds good, but what do the cattle look like? Do you have pics? If your just buying someone's culls $3500 could be way overpriced.

Not sure about your area in Minnesota, being from Louisiana, we are are two opposing ends of the country. If you have good grass, I would calculate 2 to 3 acres per head of cattle. The biggest worry I would have in Minnesota is not summer and fall, but how much hay you will need for the winter.

Herd check. This is tough, because by the question your a newbie. Nothing wrong with that, but more challenging. I would talk to a local large animal vet, ask them about a vaccinating program for your cattle, and follow that. If you have friends in the cattle business maybe they can help you with this one.

You may want to do a search on the topics that you think you need help with. There are some very good past discussions dealing with each part of your questions

Welcome Dave...are you sure that this is the way that you want to go?
If you are thinking about the cow business...IMO...make a business plan, a thorough one.
How are your facilities...fences, pens, alleys, chutes FIRST then cows...unless, of course, you like collecting cows from pi$$ed off neighbors fields.
Good luck, hope that all works out well for you...keep posting...most of us like to see pics, even the crotchety old poots.
DMc

I agree with Susie David want your facilities first but if you are still wanting them and think you can get your facilities ready by the winter go for it high tensile electric fence is a good temporary fence that will keep them make sure it is hot. They won't need shelter right away it is spring time now but they may need it for the winter especially the young ones so make sure you can get it done in time.

10 acres will hold em for a while in Central Minnesota. Do get your facilities ready though. Any bad bags? Price isn't bad if they are not culls and all are bred.

I'd be careful of the 9 year old cows. How confident are you in the seller telling you the truth about their age. Could be they are a lot older and not worth much more than slaughter prices.

Fred":2ltbc83z said:
I'd be careful of the 9 year old cows. How confident are you in the seller telling you the truth about their age. Could be they are a lot older and not worth much more than slaughter prices.

If she's in good condition and raising a good calf, age doesn;t matter.

dun

dun[/quote] If I am signing the check age does matter. :D :D :D :D

Fred":mjsk2lg2 said:

dun
If I am signing the check age does matter. :D :D :D :D[/quote]

Do you think that age hurts the ability to settle and raise a calf? There are a lot of double digit cows that are more then paying their way. Some cows are old at 5 some aren;t old at 10, depends on the cow

dun

dun":9lu4dquw said:
Fred":9lu4dquw said:

dun
If I am signing the check age does matter. :D :D :D :D

Do you think that age hurts the ability to settle and raise a calf? There are a lot of double digit cows that are more then paying their way. Some cows are old at 5 some aren;t old at 10, depends on the cow

dun[/quote] I am not saying an old cow can't be productive and a good moneymaker. I have a 15 year old and a couple of 14 year old cows. I am refering to being cautious when buying cattle.

I would not be afraid of thoses 9 yr old cows if like you say they have good udders and are raising brutes for calves.

Latest posts