Small 5th Wheel Trailer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Local shop rates have gotten unreasonable. Luckily, my tractors are old enough that shade tree mechanics can handle them. I have started to work with a senior citizen mechanic who is 30 miles away. Does great work and is reasonable, but likes the tractor at his place when he works on it. What is the minimum trailer you would consider for hauling a 100 hp or less tractor?

Stocker Steve":1zxk52px said:
Local shop rates have gotten unreasonable. Luckily, my tractors are old enough that shade tree mechanics can handle them. I have started to work with a senior citizen mechanic who is 30 miles away. Does great work and is reasonable, but likes the tractor at his place when he works on it. What is the minimum trailer you would consider for hauling a 100 hp or less tractor?

Depends on tractor weight. Big difference between a MF 1105 and a JD 5510. Older tractors were made of real iron and not so much plastic. I still think Jehosofat is on track. 14k # axles should have you covered. Not that I recommend it but we've hauled a Ford 9600 a bunch of miles with one of those bumper pulled tilt bed trailer that don't even have axles (just spindles welded to the frame, which really isn't a frame) and a 84 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. 30 miles ain't that far. Just use what you have and be careful.

I've hauled some shyt that I wouldn't even admit to on here, but I don't have to anymore.

Buy a bigger trailer than you think you need.

I hauled a D3 on a 24K bumper pull trailer with my dually.. and some 14% gravel washboard grades in there.. and no working trailer brakes... butthole puckered up good.

I think a 14K trailer would do.. I'm looking at getting a 100hp Belarus with FEL and cab from 100 miles away and will be using a 14K gooseneck trailer, deck-over.

With my dually I'd do it bumper pull too, but my trailer has the fenders that are right where the rear wheels need to be to get the weight distribution right, which is critical when hauling heavy loads... I'll borrow a friends trailer

IMG_0093sm.jpg

Nesikep":lv0iteas said:
No one has any business towing over the vechile GVW without trailer brakes. This is a "do as I say not as I do" deal. I will not start out without trailer brakes to haul a heavy load.
Nesi, have you ever pull a trailer with electric over hydraulic disc brakes? Unbelievable stopping power.

I only found out the trailer brakes weren't working on the trip.. I do like having them for sure! Turns out the instructions on the trailer brake controller install are retarded.. they say to ground the brake controller to battery (-)... Yeah, right where it'll corrode off!!! I ground them to a seperate place now.

I haven't had electric over hydraulic brakes... a good electric brake setup and a good controller does pretty well.. I had them working for the trip back and it was good!

Nesikep":1etol2cg said:
I only found out the trailer brakes weren't working on the trip.. I do like having them for sure! Turns out the instructions on the trailer brake controller install are retarded.. they say to ground the brake controller to battery (-)... Yeah, right where it'll corrode off!!! I ground them to a seperate place now.

I haven't had electric over hydraulic brakes... a good electric brake setup and a good controller does pretty well.. I had them working for the trip back and it was good!

I have electric over hydraulic 13" disc on my boat trailer. You can lock the tires up if you jump on the brakes past a 8 power setting even with 12 tons on the tires.

My personal suggestion would be a 24' 7 ton trailer then spend the extra money for 14 ply tires. Your big Case tractors will have it maxed out but it will handle them with a little common sense for that distance. You end up with a trailer that's light enough to pull for everyday use and not kill your truck but will handle 15k on it if you are in bind. Those 14 ply tires wear better than 10 ply also so I find cost per mile the same. I use this setup everyday. Might have to buy you a Ford to pull it though!

jehosofat":2rf4bdx1 said:
SmokinM":2rf4bdx1 said:
Might have to buy you a Ford to pull it though!

Haven't pulled much, have ya? :lol: :lol: :lol:

To each their own. I understand maybe you spent all your money on a Wilson and can't afford better, but for me as long as I can scrape together enough money it will be a Ford. 369,000 miles and pulls 15k or more pretty much daily. Ac compressor and a water pump are the only non wear items replaced.

Your used to them slow boats and the speed and power of a Ford scares you don't it! :cboy:

SmokinM":2c6tc8w8 said:
jehosofat":2c6tc8w8 said:
SmokinM":2c6tc8w8 said:
Might have to buy you a Ford to pull it though!

Haven't pulled much, have ya? :lol: :lol: :lol:

To each their own. I understand maybe you spent all your money on a Wilson and can't afford better, but for me as long as I can scrape together enough money it will be a Ford. 369,000 miles and pulls 15k or more pretty much daily. Ac compressor and a water pump are the only non wear items replaced.

Your used to them slow boats and the speed and power of a Ford scares you don't it! :cboy:

I got one of them Fords, dammm good truck. When I gotta go fast, I run a Chebby, when I gotta pull sumtin', I hook it to a Dodge.

Individual results will vary. :lol:

Some go fast, some go heavy. Those in the middle go Ford. :lol:

Latest posts