Slick Way to Sort Cows and Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

This a great way to sort cattle and the way I sort now. I don't have the numbers they do but it's the same philosophy. I get all mine in the pen and sort them into the sweep cage. Once I have a cage full I work the ones caught and then are sorted into appropriate pen as they exit the chute. Then I sort a few more back into the sweep and sort as they leave. I have found that running them through the sweep, alley, and chute even if they don't need to be caught is the best solution for me on a small scale.

Kyle

Not a bad idea to let them go through the pens once in a while and not be caught or worked. Helps take some of the sting out of the area.

Rather than cutting the bottom two bars of the panel, I think I'd just raise the panel. Then when done, relower it and it's still a gate if needed.

Yeah wouldn't work for me either, few too many wild ones in the mix still. What I do is put them in a big yard and drive groups into a barn. Calves tend to hang back anyways, Cows exit out of a different door then they go in. Couple cut gates in the barn, and sort em out until there's only calves left in the yard. Doesn't take too long. Take groups of 10 or so at a time into the barn from yard.

looks very slick, is there any chance this could cause the calves to decide they can get under fences and gates in other situations?

Latest posts