Skunks

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":1bz7niud said:
When killing a skunk never shoot them in the head as that will always make it spray.

Interesting, I've alwasy blown their little heads off and never had one spray. A little seepage when they suddenly relax but no squirts.

dun

dun":1asluqt8 said:
Dave":1asluqt8 said:
When killing a skunk never shoot them in the head as that will always make it spray.

Interesting, I've alwasy blown their little heads off and never had one spray. A little seepage when they suddenly relax but no squirts.

dun
Thats why I love to read your posts Dun, you are always so poetic. 8)

J":1ndc83p3 said:
dun":1ndc83p3 said:
Dave":1ndc83p3 said:

dun
Thats why I love to read your posts Dun, you are always so poetic. 8)

That's me, Ol dun Longfellow

dun

Dun,
Interesting that you have had the opposite reaction that I have recieved. I use to blast them between the eyes and nearly every time there would be a yellow cloud. I would have to wade in and kick their stinky carcase out of the trap. I started body shooting them with the smallest gun possible and had a lot less stick to deal with. I generally take a live and let live approach with them but they are the only animal I haven't figured out how turn loose out of a coyote trap. Well I guess I could just wade in and let it go but I might have a hard time finding a date for a week or two after that.
Dave

Dave":1w34zgzu said:
Dun,
Interesting that you have had the opposite reaction that I have recieved. I use to blast them between the eyes and nearly every time there would be a yellow cloud. I would have to wade in and kick their stinky carcase out of the trap. I started body shooting them with the smallest gun possible and had a lot less stick to deal with. I generally take a live and let live approach with them but they are the only animal I haven't figured out how turn loose out of a coyote trap. Well I guess I could just wade in and let it go but I might have a hard time finding a date for a week or two after that.
Dave

At close range, i.e. in a trap, I just pop them in the head with a .410 and number 6 shot. Longer range I use a .22 and just wack them in whatever part is handiest, usually the head. But then I don;t care about the stink anyway.

dun

Had a friend one time built a new house and was only in it a week or two, came home one night to find a skunk at the front door. He and his wife went through the garage into the house were he grabbed his .22, and stood watching the little booger through the front door and as it walked away he followed, when it made it to the end of the sidewalk BANG and there was that cloud. The cloud kept going until he noticed it as a hiss. His A/c unit was directly around the corner from the skunk. To this day he swears that it bounced of the skunks head and through the condensor. All his freon into the atomosphere, don't tell those enviromentalist wackos! :lol:

certherfbeef":3f2qd3fq said:
Not too long ago I watched "Mythbusters". They were trying to figure out what will get rid of the shunky smell the best.
Came to the conclusion the tomato juice and peroxide/baking soda /dish detergent were the 2 remidies that worked the best.

Cert, if the creature in question has been sprayed very recently, plain old water will neutralize the skunk smell. A while back 2 of my dogs were making friends with the 'kitty' in the yard, and got sprayed. I hosed them down with the garden hose, stuck them in the tub and gave them a bath. Every bit of the smell was gone except for Sugarbear, who took a direct hit to the face and down the throat. Any time she would pant, I smelled skunk for several weeks. :(

I had a skunk show up in my yard one day. I knew right away something was wrong with it. We had been huntin that morning with the dogs. So when we got home we just turned em out in the yard. It was about 15 hounds and 1 bulldog. About 4:00 that afternoon I hear them dogs baying and carrying on in the yard like they had a 500 lb hog bayed up. I go look out the door and come face to face with this skunk. Well the dogs cornered him in the garage when he went to emitting his fragance. But to late my garage was a goner that skunk done sprayed everything. The smell was coming into the house. I was freaking. I couldn't get a shot at the sucker the dogs was all over him. Then he walked out into the yard in front of my truck and died. Now I have a dead skunk in my yard. I call the health dept they tell me to freeze him until someone can come get him. They never do, we take the thing to the vet who sent him off for us. He came back Rabid. Now this is the sad part I ended up havin to but a couple dogs down cause this darn skunk. They were young pups and I had not gotten them vaccinated yet.

I had a pet skunk many years ago. It was the best pet I ever had. We got her when she was about a week old and at 6 weeks had her descented. I learned a lot about skunks.

They are great for killing grubs, which are not good for the soil. I believe this is way they have rabies so bad. She was also great for killing mice - which I hate (Ever seen the movie "2004"?) and snakes.

If possible, a skunk would prefer to run from danger. Given the opportunity, they will warn before spraying by first stamping their front feet and hissing. Then, they'll swing the back end around and stamp again.

My pet was very smart and remembered things for years. When she was about 2 years old, she left our place for several days and came back. Soon, she was gone longer and longer. Then she stayed gone. About 18 months later, in the middle of the night my mom woke up to scratching at her ourside bedroom door. The dog didn't bark, so my mom opened the door and there was that skunk. She had gotten into the neighbor's trash pit and had a mayo jar stuck on her head. Mom pulled the jar off and played with her for awhile. They like to play like cats. Her favorite thing was to roll on her back while you tussled her stomach. You could almost see her laugh. Then the skunk wandered off. We sold our place a short time later and I've never seen her again.

Now, I'm not an animal rights freak and I won't hestiate to shoot a skunk acting strange, but I sure do have a special place in my heart for skunks. Not many people know that.

I had a skunk show up in my yard one day. I knew right away something was wrong with it. We had been huntin that morning with the dogs. So when we got home we just turned em out in the yard. It was about 15 hounds and 1 bulldog. About 4:00 that afternoon I hear them dogs baying and carrying on in the yard like they had a 500 lb hog bayed up. I go look out the door and come face to face with this skunk. Well the dogs cornered him in the garage when he went to emitting his fragance. But to late my garage was a goner that skunk done sprayed everything. The smell was coming into the house. I was freaking. I couldn't get a shot at the sucker the dogs was all over him. Then he walked out into the yard in front of my truck and died. Now I have a dead skunk in my yard. I call the health dept they tell me to freeze him until someone can come get him. They never do, we take the thing to the vet who sent him off for us. He came back Rabid. Now this is the sad part I ended up havin to but a couple dogs down cause this darn skunk. They were young pups and I had not gotten them vaccinated yet.

Southerngal":27t47k4u said:

sounds like the whole lot of them needs a few shots just in case now.

Everything else up to date on shots. It was only a couple that were not. I do know that a few states allow you purchase the rabies vacc. and admin. it yourself. But here in south ga you have to get a vet to give to shots.

Latest posts