Buzzards and skunks

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice":se629g6i said:
1982vett":se629g6i said:
HerefordSire":se629g6i said:
What does tomato juice do?[/i]
Tricks you nose.

Here's a reason people might think it works. Some experts speculate that at high doses of skunk spray, the human nose stops smelling the odor. So if you then bathe your pet in tomato juice – the odor of the juice becomes stronger than the odor of the skunk. So thinking that the tomato juice worked to get out the odor is an olfactory illusion – an illusion for your nose

Written by Beverly Wachtel

Yeah, the human nose stops smelling the odor...the pounding jackhammer pain in your head and the he**acious burning in your eyes kinda makes the odor take a back seat! I swear, I saw stars and my head started to whirl when I came upon the carnage my little avatar and his sister had wrought upon that skunk. It was like I could actually SEE the odor in the air.

Alice

Someone tolded me that buzzards can tell from afar if a dead aminal is sickly, and will not mess with a sick one. Maybe that skunk was rabid or something?

Jim62":10qx21km said:
Someone tolded me that buzzards can tell from afar if a dead aminal is sickly, and will not mess with a sick one. Maybe that skunk was rabid or something?

I'm thinking there must be something wrong with him. He is still there today and there were a bunch of black buzzards not 100 yards from him trying to get some afterbirth from a late calver. Seems I've seen them eat skunks on the road before but I really didn't make a mental note of it. This one by the gate is so close I can't help but notice what happens to him. Funny thing is, I don't smell him in any manner. He is just there. I'd go over and poke him with a stick but I'm afraid the ingrained reflex action from my past experience would take over and I'd barf all over myself.

Alice I think you are right on the Dawn. Best soap we had at the time was Borax. I think it was Three Mules or something like that.

Jogeephus":23idp8u3 said:
Jim62":23idp8u3 said:

I'm thinking there must be something wrong with him. He is still there today and there were a bunch of black buzzards not 100 yards from him trying to get some afterbirth from a late calver. Seems I've seen them eat skunks on the road before but I really didn't make a mental note of it. This one by the gate is so close I can't help but notice what happens to him. Funny thing is, I don't smell him in any manner. He is just there. I'd go over and poke him with a stick but I'm afraid the ingrained reflex action from my past experience would take over and I'd barf all over myself.

Alice I think you are right on the Dawn.
Best soap we had at the time was Borax. I think it was Three Mules or something like that

20 mule team Borax, they used to sponser Death Valley Days on TV.

I'll bet there are other old timers that remember it.