How to get skunks out of barn?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Looks like a skunk decided to raise her young in a barn. Any suggestions to get them out without causing a stink?

I wonder if loud screechy rock music would drive them out. To me it's all loud screechy and sucks but there is some that is more so then others. Heavy metal or something of that type might work

dun":2didejuh said:
I wonder if loud screechy rock music would drive them out. To me it's all loud screechy and sucks but there is some that is more so then others. Heavy metal or something of that type might work

Is that how you got the one that was living under your porch out?

Angus Cowman":3uds3qdm said:
The best way I have ever seen and it works every time is is you taake a match and set the barn on fire skunk always leave before they get burnt it must be the smoke they don't like :lol:
Easy for you to say AC. Between your Gate Opener and recruits from out of state, you don't have to rebuild, just stand around and look pretty.......oh yeah, that reminds me ~ you're fired. :lol2:

Two years ago we had an invasion , tried trapping the little SOB's but they were smarter than the trap , had a boarder bring out her Jack russell's , BAM , after a few false chases they ran em out of there and my neighbor nailed em with a 22. I think those insect foggers would work about as well as anything to get em moving out and not as smelly as the smoke type bombs.

Skunks hate bright light - their nocturnal. You could set up some large lights at night, pointing where they are.

I've also seen people put out hot spices to get rid of them. Something like a barrier around where you don't want them

The skunks are probably going there for food or shelter, but if you make them uncomfortable, they'll leave.

Whatever you do don't trap them. While everyone you tell the story to will laugh, you will not enjoy it.

Our county office has traps that you can use for free. After using them a couple times I just went and bought one for convenience sake. It's a live animal trap, covered with thin sheat metal on the top and two sides. I had to do my own sheat metal modifications. In areas further from the house where the cat's don't go, I use a sardine or something similar for bait. If I'm worried about catching cats by mistake I use a raw egg instead. Once caught, I carry the trap to a large tub of water. You guess the rest.

Jack Russells work great except if they want to jump on the tractor with you afterwards. You don't have vermin with these dogs, if it squeaks, scurries, has fur fin or feathers and comes on their place there will be a fight. Rat run under a board they will stay on it day and night straight until it comes out. Had to go shoot a coon this morning before daylight that Rube had treed. Fear is not in there vocabulary.

Loud radio and leave the lights on.

Go check the pasture every now and again after dark with a spotlight and a rifle.

I've been told mothballs will work...Never tried it tho...

Since we're usually under a rabies quarantine the County Agents office has some one that will go around and set out poison eggs in areas they are ...

Years ago, we had this older mexican guy working in our chicken house that used to walk right up to skunks, and knock 'em in the head with a broke off shovel handle. First time I saw him do that, I couldn't believe it. Thought the old man was nuts! I never once saw or heard of him getting sprayed, though. Maybe it's like the stories about the indians not attacking the crazy people in the old west....or maybe the skunks couldn't believe it was happening either! Not sure I recommend this method, though!

We had that problem. She would take the little ones out at sundown so I sicced my duck hunting master sons
on them with some good old buckshot when they moseyed out for their evening dinner. Hit em in the head,
very little smell.

give cfpinz your address. He'll come over and get closed up in the barn with them and shoot them.

dun":2zboxazz said:
give cfpinz your address. He'll come over and get closed up in the barn with them and shoot them.

Tell him to bring that pretty little wife of his too, heard she knows how to lock the door so nothing escapes. :D

We had skunks under our deck off the back of the house. Tried everything we could think of. A friend recommended that we get some of those full size fake owls with the wicked looking eyes and put them near the points where the skunks were coming and going. We did it, they left, and haven't been back. Life got much better at my house after that. :)

Apparetly owls are the only natural predator that a skunk has because they have no sense of smell.

As far as the traps go, I've never had one spray in the trap. First, with the sheat metal they can't see what's going on. I've also heard that if they can't lift there tail high enough to clear the spray path that they won't spray. Could be true I guess.

Latest posts