skunks

Help Support CattleToday:

cgraves

Reaction score
I have a skunk that has taken up residence in my barn. Every time I go to feed I smell it but have not found it yet. Got any ideas how I can get rid of this without it getting me first. I don't have time to wait all day or night to dispose of it with a rifle. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Live trap with cat food for bait. If you catch a cat once, you will not catch it twice ~ they are smart enough not to fall for it more than once. I have done this a BUNCH of times to catch a skunk.

Ok I catch it in the trap........How do I keep from getting sprayed?

Crack me up ~ I knew that question was coming! I have heard that a skunk will not spray you if they cannot see you, but I don't believe that. What I do is sneak up quietly to the trap with a tarp in front of me, then gently cover the trap with a tarp. Take the skunk to a safe area, open the trap door, when the skunk walks out ~ shoot it. If you work slow and steady, the skunk will not spray you. I have heard of people putting the live trap in a barrel of water, but that seems oddly mean to me. Some people use a shot gun and shoot the skunk inside of the trap, but that seems like a good way to ruin an expensive trap.

alacattleman":32cknqcv said:
head shoot with a hollow point .22 while in the trap
Yes, this is a good idea, just know that if you do not kill the skunk on the first attempt and right away, it WILL spray, so do not try this in any type of enclosed area that you frequent often.

angie":2wyn5291 said:
Live trap with cat food for bait. If you catch a cat once, you will not catch it twice ~ they are smart enough not to fall for it more than once. I have done this a BUNCH of times to catch a skunk.

Then my Mom must have the dumbest cats on the face of the earth! I think hers have some kind of Minnesooota accent, oof dah!

cfpinz":126owocg said:
angie":126owocg said:

Then my Mom must have the dumbest cats on the face of the earth! I think hers have some kind of Minnesooota accent, oof dah!
Quit using lutefisk for bait!

Tie a rope to the trap. Then gently pull him out of the barn and give him a good lead poisoning. we've done it a few times. They will spray abot 50% of the time. object is to pull the rope very slowly and way up wind from him.

I used a trap that was solid metal only opened on one end. The open end had the trap door on it. If they spray be sure you are on the opposite end of the door.
Tom.

If you want to find a skunk just let your freshly bathed dog find it, that works every time even when you didn't know you had a skunk around.. :roll:

Or drive around with your windows open , you will for sure hit it.. :lol2:

I caught 4 out of my barn last year. Did like Angie said. walked up to them with a tarp held up in front of me,laid the tarp down over the trap,wrapped the trap up in the tarp,carried it to the state park.and turned it loose. No problem.

angie":23bd40c3 said:

Let's start with the heat lamp you keep outside (in Minny freaking Sota) for the cats. If I were a skunk, I would want in on that deal.
I'm an old man, and skunks aren't a problem and never have been.
Maybe they are just drawn to you, dear Angie, and your heatlamp. Mostly your heatlamp.

Try scattering out mothballs in the various nooks & crannies of your barn. We have successfully used mothballs for many years to keep critters away from ripening watermelons & cantaloupes in the garden. Our dog found a skunk in the barn last week, so I put out the mothballs but not sure of the success.

I bait my live trap with eggs. When I catch a cat I just rolled the trap part way down the hill and then let the cat out. All but one never got caught again. I had to roll that cat down the hill all the way about 3 times, dumb cat.
I shoot the skunk with a .22 right where the stripe on the back ends on the neck area. Trapper friend told me to shoot them there it paralizes them and that can't spray, but they DO leak the spray.
Dirt will help with getting rid of the scent and febreeze works good on it too.
Good luck. :D

Texas PaPaw":2zy0r2s1 said:
Try scattering out mothballs in the various nooks & crannies of your barn. We have successfully used mothballs for many years to keep critters away from ripening watermelons & cantaloupes in the garden. Our dog found a skunk in the barn last week, so I put out the mothballs but not sure of the success.

The mothballs work for me.
The problem is holding the moth still while you cut him.

Cal

Cal- i've done my fair share of swearing but it is much easier if you get someone to hold the moth for you. :lol:

Latest posts