Buzzards and skunks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2cc0z1gt said:
I can attest that there is nothing worse than getting sprayed by a skunk. The smell you experience on the highway is at least 50 times less than what you experience at point blank range. And yeah, as a child I didn't listen well when there was a "fluffy pet" to be had. :oops:

BTW - skunk is still untouched today. :???:

Buzzards must be smarter than my dogs. :mad:

Alice

Mine is gone- couldn't tell if it was Buzzards or something else- Little bit of hair left but no bones.
No smell either

Timely backup information-
Saw 10 buzzards eating on another dead skunk today.
And they didn't seem to mind the smell even though it was gagging me.

Anyone want to Fed-Ex me a live skunk? Must be alive. Must not have buzzard breath. Must be able to breed. I looking for one than throws nice little birthweights and gains allot in the first month.

What on earth do you want a skunk for? I've had three of them as pets. Well not really pets cause I don't think you can make a skunk into a pet. They have a vicious bite. Even after being fixed they still stink so you got to bathe them all the time. Of course when you bathe them they bite. Since you got to bathe them a lot you get bit a lot. Wonderful creatures I assure you. Get a monkey instead. At least with a monkey he can only throw a turd at you about twice a day and they don't have very good aim or distance. JMO

Jogeephus":ef9kym6q said:
What on earth do you want a skunk for? I've had three of them as pets. Well not really pets cause I don't think you can make a skunk into a pet. They have a vicious bite. Even after being fixed they still stink so you got to bathe them all the time. Of course when you bathe them they bite. Since you got to bathe them a lot you get bit a lot. Wonderful creatures I assure you. Get a monkey instead. At least with a monkey he can only throw a turd at you about twice a day and they don't have very good aim or distance. JMO

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Trying to bottle the scent. Put a little scent on your neck and walk into a club (I mean church) and see what happens.

HerefordSire":z71arh7o said:
Jogeephus":z71arh7o said:

Trying to bottle the scent. Put a little scent on your neck and walk into a club (I mean church) and see what happens.

I'll make you a deal HFS; I go to the trouble of catching, packaging and overnighting the thing and you agree to video yourself opening that package, applying the scent to your neck and walking into tha church then posting the video here on CT. :nod: My cousin got sprayed in the eyes by one ( I was there nearby) and he said it burned like heck, not to mention the smell. His mom had to bathe him in tomato juice and his clothes were tossed.

BeefmasterB":3vusi7i7 said:
HerefordSire":3vusi7i7 said:
Jogeephus":3vusi7i7 said:

I'll make you a deal HFS; I go to the trouble of catching, packaging and overnighting the thing and you agree to video yourself opening that package, applying the scent to your neck and walking into tha church then posting the video here on CT. :nod: My cousin got sprayed in the eyes by one ( I was there nearby) and he said it burned like heck, not to mention the smell. His mom had to bathe him in tomato juice and his clothes were tossed.

I am too you-gly to be caught on video. Thanks for the offer though.

Doubles as a mace, eh? Just another way to make money. Whatever you do, don't put any on your neck around your lady if you want to get any work done. You ever wonder why some women like the smell of sweat?

What does tomato juice do?

#10 Skunk Scent Item: QX-415446

$7.99

This scent effectively covers human odor. It's made with 100% natural, full-strength skunk oil (not urine). Comes in 1-ounce bottle with Scent Bomb.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/ ... 446a.shtml

The striped skunk is about the size of an adult house cat and its fur is mostly black with white on top of the head and neck. In most animals the white extends down the back, usually separating into two white stripes. Spotted skunks are black with white spots or short white streaks. They are smaller than the striped skunk, about half the size of a house cat.

Skunks are nocturnal, hunting at night for insects, grubs, small rodents, snakes, frogs, mushrooms, berries and fruit, pet food, bird food, and garbage. Skunks have a high preference for eggs and, as a result, ground-nesting birds suffer losses.

Breeding usually occurs during February and March for the striped skunk; gestation time is about 9 weeks and litters range from four to six kits. After a few months the kits can be seen following their mother as she makes her nightly rounds in search of food. Skunks do not hibernate, but in regions of colder weather females may congregate in communal dens during the winter.

Skunks often den in burrows, but because they prefer to do as little digging as possible, they will use abandoned burrows dug by ground squirrels, fox, or coyotes, enlarging them only if necessary. If dens are scarce, they will readily use brush piles, hollow logs, and culverts. In urban settings, they den under decks, porches, or beneath buildings.

There is cause for concern when skunks take up residence in an urban or suburban area because in California they are primary carriers of rabies, a viral disease transmitted by the bite of an infected animal. Skunks are also carriers of other diseases including leptospirosis, listeriosis, canine distemper, canine hepatitis, Q-fever, tularemia, and trypanosoma.

Skunks are attracted to residential areas by the ready availability of food, water, and shelter. They become a nuisance when they live under porches, decks, garden tool sheds, or homes. They like to feed on ripening berries and fallen fruit and cause many other garden problems by digging while in search of grubs and other insects. They often search for food in lawns by digging small pits or cone-shaped depressions that range from to 3 to 5 inches across. Like raccoons, they may also damage lawns by rolling back sections of sod in search of insects.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74118.html

HerefordSire":23hevioi said:
Doubles as a mace, eh? Just another way to make money. Whatever you do, don't put any on your neck around your lady if you want to get any work done. You ever wonder why some women like the smell of sweat?

When I got sprayed at point blank it felt like little tiny pellets hitting me. They felt almost like gelatin so I'm pretty sure its a fairly heavy oil - maybe like baby oil. The smell was horrific! If I was able I would have quit breathing It would definitely work as a non lethal defense weapon.

As for the tomato juice, it does nothing much. I bathed in every remedy the neighbors and family had to offer. Some were even "guaranteed" to work. Nothing really did. Burned my clothes and slept on porch and took meals on porch. Heck, I would have bathed in gasoline and kerosene but knowing my big brother - I stayed away from flammables cause I knew he'd probably have tossed a match on me just to see what a flaming human stink bomb looked like. :nod:

Jogeephus":19k681i4 said:
HerefordSire":19k681i4 said:

When I got sprayed at point blank it felt like little tiny pellets hitting me. They felt almost like gelatin so I'm pretty sure its a fairly heavy oil - maybe like baby oil. The smell was horrific! If I was able I would have quit breathing It would definitely work as a non lethal defense weapon.

As for the tomato juice, it does nothing much. I bathed in every remedy the neighbors and family had to offer. Some were even "guaranteed" to work. Nothing really did. Burned my clothes and slept on porch and took meals on porch. Heck, I would have bathed in gasoline and kerosene but knowing my big brother - I stayed away from flammables cause I knew he'd probably have tossed a match on me just to see what a flaming human stink bomb looked like. :nod:

It is an oily substance that the skunk sprays. That's why Dawn dish detergent is effective. I guess it works on the skunk stink like it works on greasy dishes. Using shampoo will only grind the nasty stuff in. I've read that using something like seven-up or sprite works...I even tried it once on my little avatar. All I had was what was in the fridge, and I grabbed it and poured it the little guy. He lost his breath and his eyes bugged out and started to roll, it was so cold. I felt terrible about that...but GAWD he stunk.

Alice

Neighbors dog got the full spray last week-end. Hydrogen peroxid, dawn and baking soda mixed and the smell is gone. She sure looks all fluffy now though

dun":1typv5ae said:
Neighbors dog got the full spray last week-end. Hydrogen peroxid, dawn and baking soda mixed and the smell is gone. She sure looks all fluffy now though

I supect so. Isn't hydrogen peroxide is the secret to the lusterous hair found on the GLOW wrestlers? ;-) :lol2:

When I was a kid my brother got a skunk.It's eyes wern't open yet,so mom put it in with a nest of kittens one of our deluded kitten crazy momma cats had..she adoptede the lil stinker,who bro named "Buster".. He grew up with the cats,had no odor,would come to "kitty-kitty".. Found out much later Daddy took him off 2 times. Last time it took him 2weeks to get back.. Neighbors across the field had a Wirehaired Fox Terrier,and we think that's what finally happened to him..The dog was found down a hole and dug out twice,but couldn't find him the last time..Or that's what we think..

Jogeephus":xxmz4vys said:
Heck, I would have bathed in gasoline and kerosene but knowing my big brother - I stayed away from flammables cause I knew he'd probably have tossed a match on me just to see what a flaming human stink bomb looked like. :nod:
:D I like the way your brother thinks, I definately would have tried.

HerefordSire":3msh4wjw said:
What does tomato juice do?[/i]
Tricks you nose.

Here's a reason people might think it works. Some experts speculate that at high doses of skunk spray, the human nose stops smelling the odor. So if you then bathe your pet in tomato juice – the odor of the juice becomes stronger than the odor of the skunk. So thinking that the tomato juice worked to get out the odor is an olfactory illusion – an illusion for your nose

Written by Beverly Wachtel

1982vett":ssmnjy47 said:
HerefordSire":ssmnjy47 said:
What does tomato juice do?[/i]
Tricks you nose.

Here's a reason people might think it works. Some experts speculate that at high doses of skunk spray, the human nose stops smelling the odor. So if you then bathe your pet in tomato juice – the odor of the juice becomes stronger than the odor of the skunk. So thinking that the tomato juice worked to get out the odor is an olfactory illusion – an illusion for your nose

Written by Beverly Wachtel

Yeah, the human nose stops smelling the odor...the pounding jackhammer pain in your head and the he**acious burning in your eyes kinda makes the odor take a back seat! I swear, I saw stars and my head started to whirl when I came upon the carnage my little avatar and his sister had wrought upon that skunk. It was like I could actually SEE the odor in the air.

Alice

Alice