Skinny calf now crashed again !

Help Support CattleToday:

halfwaysharp

Reaction score
2 days of Kick Start and drinks full bottle twice a day, eats calf mana. I walked him to the end of the barn to get a little sun for about 20 minutes. Walked him back and now he is laying FLAT OUT !! like he is dying again ! He does have some conjestion in one nostral. Could it be a heart condition ? Seems anytime he gets to be free and walk a few minutes we have to start over. He is now 3 1/2 weeks old and was on the bottle this morning. Breathing is a little fast but it is warm today. Lungs ruined maybe ? no cough ever ! :help: 2 hours later he is up like nothing happened. Each time I let him out to move around a little he crashes. Tonight he drank a full bottle. Hmmmm Cattle are so mysterious.

Pneumonia likely. Hit him with nuflor if you haven't yet.
Do something quick though because it sounds like he doesn't have long left at this rate

First I would check his temp. If he has a fever with his symptoms I've used this with success
"Standard dosage for Nuflor is 3cc/100lbs IM for an every-other-day therapy, or 6cc/100lbs SC for a one-time treatment.

There's a little bit of leeway there as I've done the 6cc/100lbs once and then repeated in 48hrs on a bad case. " milkmaid

Update, I think that when I put him out in the sun for a few minutes that it made him so relaxed that he just layed down and lay flat. Because he has been perfect to take a full bottle at morning and night. I do not try and feed him in the middle because I have learned that most of the times a calf will not take an evening bottle and then I either have to stay up all night or it has to wait till morning. I put him out yesterday outside for about 30 minutes. He just seems to be getting stronger and stronger. I am feeding him 1/2 cup of "quick start" 1 cup of Imutek Colostrum and 1 cup of medicated milk. He even played with the dog and talked !! for the first time. Now, on the other hand I will administer the Nuflor for extra safety net here. Thank you so much for your help. It is a miracle this calf is still alive. Imutek, Inc. has been wonderful in their support. He contributes colostrum to his recovery even though the rumor is that it does not work after 24 hours. This calf has not missed a meal since I started it. The sun knocks him out...haha

Latest posts