Skin Sloughing off

Help Support CattleToday:

bhodges

Reaction score
I have 3 calves that there hair is sloughing off. I don't think its ring worm. They were poured on with Ivormeticn about 2 months ago for internal parasites. Does anybody have any suggestions on what it might be?

this might sound crazy but I'm thinking it's photosensitivity. But can't tell without knowing what the cattle look like, right?

bhodges":1fow5rt7 said:
I have 3 calves that there hair is sloughing off. I don't think its ring worm. They were poured on with Ivormeticn about 2 months ago for internal parasites. Does anybody have any suggestions on what it might be?

Where is the hair sloughing off?? Is it large or small patches. Is it just hair or also skin. There are several things that can cause this, depending on the symptoms. Ringworm, photosensitivity and fever can all cause it. Scoured calves can have the hair on their rump slough off too.

bhodges":2qrk8kew said:

Ivermectin won't touch ringworm - it is a fungal infection, and only antifungals - such as iodine, some type of athletes foot spray/liquid, or an anti-fungal cream will kill it. Now, having said that - it could also be scabies, mange, lice, fever, allergies, or something else entirely. You might want to have him checked by your vet so you know what you're dealing with, and can choose the appropriate treatment.

Ivermectin won't touch ringworm - it is a fungal infection, and only antifungals

technically thats true, but if you have a bad case of ringworm ( where there are patches all over the body) , it can be caused by lice spreading it there. So a dose of ivomec can help in this case. :|

bward":12rmh9hy said:
Ivermectin won't touch ringworm - it is a fungal infection, and only antifungals

technically thats true, but if you have a bad case of ringworm ( where there are patches all over the body) , it can be caused by lice spreading it there. So a dose of ivomec can help in this case. :|

Interesting, thanks bward! :)

Latest posts