Skin & Bones...HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter E

Reaction score
We just bought a very skinny, large framed, open cow. We are keeping her quarantined in a very large corral with a few steers until we get her lined out, vaccinated and doctored. She likes cake and doesn't seem to care for the grass hay round bale. We have 7-way, IBR vaccine, B-12, A,D and E and Duo Pen on hand. How should we fatten her up, should we let her out to graze and what medicines and when???? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

I always pour any new animal I get in. That may be why she is thin.

how old is she? does she have her teeth. if healthy nothing will work better than good grass. could give a little corn til she gets going

I have not found a cow that doesn't like sweet feed. The molasses gets em everytime. I brought in a bull that didn't want to eat the new feed I had to offer. I went to Co-op and bought a bag of sweetfeed. I mixed the sweet feed about 3/4 and the feed I had, 1/4. He ate it and I let him eat that for a day or so, then I started backing off of the sweet feed until he liked the new feed. I'll be glad when the pasture grasses kick in.

Thank you all for your responses. You have been helpful. We are going to ivermect-her tomorrow, and give her some sweet feed. She was munching on the round bale a little while ago. Our grass is just beginning to green up, we'll probably let her out to graze in a few days.

not trying to make you feel bad but its risky buying an open cow especially if she is in poor shape. good luck

I agree with you brokenmouth, open cows are a risky speculation (father-in-law bought her). The cow is doing better, we'll watch her close and turn her out soon- I don't know where to get bermuda around here...but I'll look and give it a try.

Thanks all,

Latest posts