size of teats on our hereford hefier.

Help Support CattleToday:

kypops

Reaction score
I am new to calfing this is our first time. I think she is due some time in Feb. but not sure. She is sure big enough.Her teats are about as round the size of a nickle or bigger and long. her udder looks like it is half full.does that sound like its about time.
My other question when should i put her in the barn in a stall, where its dry and warmer. our weather is cold going down to 2 tonight. when it warms up it turn to mud. the cows come to the barn or shed every night. and when do i need to check on her thru the night.
i know these questions are dum question to most of you guys and gals. I hope to get some pictures tomarrow and may be that will show you what
i am talking about. words cant tell you guys and gals how much i thank you for all your help. i dont think i could have made it with out this web site
we dont have many neighbers that raise cattle.
thanks again .
RAN

Will wait to see the pics before I comment on the teats.

As for keeping her inside, no sense in shoveling poop after her until you really have to.
When her water breaks or when she loses her mucas plug.

When I check the heifers I look for one of by herself or holding her tail out and is not peeing or pooping. Then I would put her inside and start checking.

No question is dumb, what is dumb is NOT asking the question.

watch the moon also, have seen them drop a calf when they didn't even look close when the new moon comes. switching their tail & acting nervous are also signs

Ok I'm fairly new to the cattle biz but heres some things I've learned in three years. All my cows I let calve on pasture since they should not have a problem. If its real bad weather I may bring them to a three sided stall after they calve. My first experience with heifers was last year. The ones we ai I would bring them to a stall in a three sided building a week before since they usually go early. i just like having them close by in case of a problem. As far as udder some dont bag until a week before or like the problem heifer I had yesterday calving she was bagged up for 6 weeks. the udders on her were very pendulous though the few days before calving. I had no clue of her date she was bred but even with a little experience you can learn what to look for. All morning she stayed away from the other cows and was pooping every ten minutes keeping her tail up. My guess very early stages of labor. 5 hours later she had a water bag out. This heifer did not swell up like my other cows though so dont wait on that as a sign of near calving. Oh yeah and check the weather because ifs a nice day dont plan on having a calf then.

I havent for got about sending you pic of my heiford ,bessie.took some real good ones today . But i have been trying all day to upload them and send them ,but no luck. you know i am new to cattle and as u can tell this PC.. HA! HA! They say its easy as 123. but no for this 70 yr GRANNY. MY DAUGHTER SAID SHE WOULD COME DOWN TOMARROW TO SHOW ME HOW.IF I LEARN I WILL SEND THEN , TALK TO YOU ALL TOMARROW.

thanks Char ( kypops wife)

It is easy once you learn how to do it. been there. I think Dun was going nuts trying to help me do it. :D :oops: ;-)

Ok. Now do you have the picture on your computor? I just hook up my camera to my computor and it automatically downloads it to my pictures.
Best way I have found to do it is to use Photobucket. It is free to use.
Set up an account at photobucket. Once that is done click the Browse button. It will pull up different files that you can look through to find your pictures. Hope you remember which one has your pics. Took me several tries before I found mine.
Once you find the file open it and find the picture you want to down load. Double click on it. Photobucket will start downloading it.
Once it is on photobucket save it to your album. When you put your cursor on it a box will drop below it.
Left click on the img that is in this box. It should highlight. Now leaving your cusor on it Right click. Another box will pop up and click on Copy.
Now come onto CT. Come to where you want to put the picture. Open Post a Reply.
Right click your mouse. Another box will pop up and click on Paste. An img code should appear in the Post a reply box.
If the img is there you can click Preview to make sure it is there and then click Submit.

Now if the img code does not appear you did not get it copied. Go back and try again. Make sure the cusor is on the img code and repeat the steps I listed above.

Good luck. :wave:

kypops can post which is which

DSCN0503.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0481.jpg

Thanks DUN . They came out good,. Well i belive after looking at Hooklines pic of her cow .,i dont think my bessie will deliver until march. DO you think her teats are bigger then normal? What do you all think? and i have more ?s what is your opinion on her and the bulls condition. DO you think they are fat enought? one more, can one guess what the bull weights? i know you cant tell a lot from the pictures, I told you i was new at this .
i have to ckeck on Hookline calf.
Thanks Char, [kypops wife]

The heifer is in very good condition, bordering on too fat. The bull is in adequate, but lean condition, if they were treated the same you better start finding the answer for why he isn't in as good shape as the heifer.

I doubt the heifer will walk till March, usually when the teats start to get reddish it isn't longer than a week or 10 days at the most. Her teats are longer than the ideal, the concern being the two front teats, especially the right one. In my experience she'll have no problems with the first two lactations, but I'd expect the front right teat to look like a coke bottle when she calves for the third time, the front left will likely follow the next year. As long as the calf can latch on to one or two teats (without help) its still fine, but her productive life will most definately be cut short by teats issues. Although phenotypically good otherwise she is also quite sickle hocked, doubt her teats will hold up for long enough for the sickle hockedness to become an issue, it seldom does anyway.

Unfortunately the bull doesn't look like he'll improve much of the structural problems the heifer has.

HER REAR TEATS & 2 LITTLE FAKE ONE U CAN SEE GOOD IN THE 4 PIC OF THE HEIFER. AS FOR THE BULL HE EATES THE SAME THING THE 2 GIRLS EAT. I KNOW HE RUN A LOT MORE, HE HAS A BLUE PLASTIC 50GAL DRUM HE PLAYS WITH ALOT. AND THE POST HOLE DIGGER ON THE BACK OF THE TRACTOR. HE DONT HAVE THE GIRLS TO PLAY WITH SO HE FOUND THESE.
THANKS FOR THE HELP I NEED ALL I CAN GET.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY CHAR

Where in Ohio are you? We are up north. Bull just doesn't look like he has the capacity to do better, maybe should have been a steer. Have you thought about AI instread of using a bull? Could get better genitics that way. Don't know about you but we were lucky and just have 4' drifts, snow blew away on flat ground. LOL :wave:

We live in ,Goshen, ohio.,Clermont County. when we bought the bull he was almost 1yrold. he was raised on a bottle the owner said. said he was full angus but didnt have the papers but could get them.we said no. we liked him because he was small.,and a black angus that all we knew., both of our hiefer were breb by him ,will see what they have. we are going to sell the bull i guess i need to fatten him up more. any help woulb be good. we sure are learing alot from this board .We are going to AI next time.
thanks char

Latest posts