Size of herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Just got finished puttin all the bulls out. Don't visit quite as much. 99% of the topics are repetitive. Occasionally one can find a good read though. Are you wishin you were back in FL right now?

Three seperate herds with partner in number of 450-480? Need to def. shed some more.

Personal herd is around 65 all mixed. We trade in and out alot.

Several Llamas, 1 donkey left, one GP dog, 1 border collie, a few cats. 2 goats for what ever reason we adopted em for grins and giggles.

Had a rooster till border collie got bored chasing it around and just outright killed it one day..........

And just recently a pet coyote we caught in a leg hold trap and have it in a small yet secure dog lot. Want to expose it to parvo, mange, and distemper so I can let it go and it can carry that all back to the pack...................JK......but if only. Hope to get a few more, then to sell the yotes to fox hunters down in the flat land, understand they are worth about 60 bucks that way.... legal to sell live yotes in NC, oddly. :cboy:

4 show steers, we get the same amount every year.
30 show rabbits.
2 show lambs (in Feb)
1 dog
1 pot bellie pig (dog) :D

D.R. Cattle":jws1iskc said:
Just got finished puttin all the bulls out. Don't visit quite as much. 99% of the topics are repetitive. Occasionally one can find a good read though. Are you wishin you were back in FL right now?
You are right about topics. I'm like you, don't read near as much as I used to. Board has changed a lot. So many of old bunch gone.

Weather has not been bad here, yet.

Howdy,

75 brood cows with calves
17 replacement bred heifers
3 service bulls
8 finished yearling bulls for sale
2 border collies
7 cats 6 kittens

Home 45 moma cows, 19 with calves, 8 heifers, 4 yearling bulls for sale, 20 sheep 1 jackass less you ask my wife and theres 2
Work 600 moma cows, 180 with fall calves, 160 rep heifers, 10 bulls

Ryder":3bp93c38 said:
D.R. Cattle":3bp93c38 said:
You are right about topics. I'm like you, don't read near as much as I used to. Board has changed a lot. So many of old bunch gone.

You guys are sure right about that!! I remember when a person used to ask what size folks herd was and the poster got reemed a new one for even thinking about asking! Most people likened it to asking how much money someone had in the bank. Never understood that either. If I really wanted to know, I could always just stand beside your fence and count most of your cows, or at least get a pretty good guess. Why the secrecy with some people?

eric":x3ata52l said:
Ryder":x3ata52l said:
D.R. Cattle":x3ata52l said:

You guys are sure right about that!! I remember when a person used to ask what size folks herd was and the poster got reemed a new one for even thinking about asking! Most people likened it to asking how much money someone had in the bank. Never understood that either. If I really wanted to know, I could always just stand beside your fence and count most of your cows, or at least get a pretty good guess. Why the secrecy with some people?

Well things have changed.
With cattle prices down and everything else up,
there aint anyone making any money so why worry about em counting???

eric":jpkqz2re said:
Ryder":jpkqz2re said:
D.R. Cattle":jpkqz2re said:

Much of the herd size issue and size of your ranch and possessions owned goes back to the the old Code of the West...Just wasn't considered polite (or healthy) to go asking a lot of questions or snooping into a persons past...If a person volunteers the info- fine-- but sometimes considered bragging, but asking was snooping...
A lot more important things to measure a man by than by material possessions.....
Most of these are still followed by the true old western rancher/cattleman....One of the reasons states like Montana have some of the strictist privacy laws in the country.....

Don't ask about a person's past. In the West it was even frowned upon to ask a man his name. This guideline had a practical side in those days, as many people who moved West had a past they maybe didn't want to divulge. But it goes deeper than that -- namely, everyone should be judged based on the person they are today, not what they were.

Never steal another man's horse, never ride another man's horse without permission, and never wear another man's hat. Some things are intrinsically personal and are part of a man's very essence; those things should always be treated with deference and respect. The art of practicing this tenet today may not involve the hat or the horse, but more that everyone should strive to understand what's important to the other person and show proper respect.

Defend yourself when necessary. This has nothing to do with reckless bravado, just the exact opposite. A fight was always to be avoided because the consequences could be dire. Rather it's a recognition that some things are worth standing up for. A principled life is the only life worth living. It was recognition that, in the end, you must control your own destiny, and that's a task you can't delegate.

Take care of your own. There's big responsibility that goes with family, friends, and taking care of God's creatures. One does what's necessary to live up to that responsibility.

When you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. The practical side was that looking back implied you didn't trust him, and that was an insult. The deeper meaning is that a man should keep his eyes on where he's going. The unhappiest people in the world are those who spend their time looking back and counting the injustices they perceive were inflicted upon them.

Always fill your whiskey glass to the brim. One should live life to its fullest.

Be thankful and gracious. A man chooses to smile or frown, and his choice says a lot about the kind of man he is. A surly disposition is a sign of a quitter. Cowboys hate quitters.

Be courageous. Every cowboy with a hint of common sense is scared that first time he throws a leg over a bronc. Courage is facing those fears and going on.

Lend a helping hand. If someone's in need, you help them, be they a friend, stranger or enemy. The risk of helping is nothing compared to knowing you turned your back on someone when you were in a position to help.

Everyone is welcome at the campfire. Being hospitable to strangers has nothing to do with the stranger but it speaks volumes about the person.

Never shoot a man in the back. Even if the opponent can rightly be considered an enemy, you give them a fighting chance.

Be modest. Actions speak louder than words. In fact, if the actions are pure enough, words aren't even needed. A cowboy didn't talk much, or at the least he rarely wasted his words. Living is always more important than talking about it.

Take care of your horse. After the hardest and longest day, a true cowboy ensures his horse is fed, bedded and taken care of before the cowboy thinks about his meal or a warm bed. It's a reflection of one's priorities, and it makes you feel better.

Never cuss in front of a lady.

Be there for your friends. To have a friend you must first be a friend.

Don't complain about the cooking unless you are prepared to be the cook.
If you can't support those you saddle up with, you shouldn't saddle up.

Ride for the brand.
Respect others. Stirring up dust around the campfire is either youthful indiscretion or pure ignorance.

Respect the land.
Honesty must be an absolute in a world where a handshake is more binding than a contract.

Your word is your sacred bond.
If it isn't yours, don't take it.
If it's not right, don't do it.
Take pride in your work and who you are.

Do what has to be done.

Be tough but fair.

Remember that some things aren't for sale.

Know where to draw the line.

Live by the Golden Rule.

Oldtimer":1slvs3ke said:
Don't ask about a person's past. In the West it was even frowned upon to ask a man his name. This guideline had a practical side in those days, as many people who moved West had a past they maybe didn't want to divulge. But it goes deeper than that -- namely, everyone should be judged based on the person they are today, not what they were.

Never steal another man's horse, never ride another man's horse without permission, and never wear another man's hat. Some things are intrinsically personal and are part of a man's very essence; those things should always be treated with deference and respect. The art of practicing this tenet today may not involve the hat or the horse, but more that everyone should strive to understand what's important to the other person and show proper respect.

Defend yourself when necessary. This has nothing to do with reckless bravado, just the exact opposite. A fight was always to be avoided because the consequences could be dire. Rather it's a recognition that some things are worth standing up for. A principled life is the only life worth living. It was recognition that, in the end, you must control your own destiny, and that's a task you can't delegate.

Take care of your own. There's big responsibility that goes with family, friends, and taking care of God's creatures. One does what's necessary to live up to that responsibility.

When you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. The practical side was that looking back implied you didn't trust him, and that was an insult. The deeper meaning is that a man should keep his eyes on where he's going. The unhappiest people in the world are those who spend their time looking back and counting the injustices they perceive were inflicted upon them.

Always fill your whiskey glass to the brim. One should live life to its fullest.

Be thankful and gracious. A man chooses to smile or frown, and his choice says a lot about the kind of man he is. A surly disposition is a sign of a quitter. Cowboys hate quitters.

Be courageous. Every cowboy with a hint of common sense is scared that first time he throws a leg over a bronc. Courage is facing those fears and going on.

Lend a helping hand. If someone's in need, you help them, be they a friend, stranger or enemy. The risk of helping is nothing compared to knowing you turned your back on someone when you were in a position to help.

Everyone is welcome at the campfire. Being hospitable to strangers has nothing to do with the stranger but it speaks volumes about the person.

Never shoot a man in the back. Even if the opponent can rightly be considered an enemy, you give them a fighting chance.

Be modest. Actions speak louder than words. In fact, if the actions are pure enough, words aren't even needed. A cowboy didn't talk much, or at the least he rarely wasted his words. Living is always more important than talking about it.

Take care of your horse. After the hardest and longest day, a true cowboy ensures his horse is fed, bedded and taken care of before the cowboy thinks about his meal or a warm bed. It's a reflection of one's priorities, and it makes you feel better.

Never cuss in front of a lady.

Be there for your friends. To have a friend you must first be a friend.

Don't complain about the cooking unless you are prepared to be the cook.
If you can't support those you saddle up with, you shouldn't saddle up.

Ride for the brand.
Respect others. Stirring up dust around the campfire is either youthful indiscretion or pure ignorance.

Respect the land.
Honesty must be an absolute in a world where a handshake is more binding than a contract.

Your word is your sacred bond.
If it isn't yours, don't take it.
If it's not right, don't do it.
Take pride in your work and who you are.

Do what has to be done.

Be tough but fair.

Remember that some things aren't for sale.

Know where to draw the line.

Live by the Golden Rule.
Oldtimer, truly some great words to live by! You know the advice, knowledge and experiences of you folks that have been around for awhile has been invaluable to many of us. Maybe I should speak for myself here, and I will, thanks for your input, advice and know how.

120 , 90 of those being registred angus. When I'm done I go help my relative who calves 2 months later than me . He calves 850 commercials.

Latest posts