Size of herd

Help Support CattleToday:

10 now
12 after we get our taxes back
17 in May when calving is done unless 2 bought with taxes are bred ~ then will be 19!

See? Building herd ;-)

run 2 herds here.the stock cow herd has 60 cows an bred heifers.the reg herd has 4 cows an 4 calves.going to add some cows to the reg herd in the spring or summer.

381 commercail cow/calf pairs, 13 bulls, 176 hd of replacement heifers, 97 reg. maines, chis, or cross, 5 bred pigs, 31 sheep, 4 donkeys, 3 dumb dogs, 10+ imbred cats, and one cutitng horse

Myself: 14 Angora and Boer goats and two more I havent picked up yet (and this all in my rather crowded backyard he he he I definitely need some more land). This includes The Luckiest Wether In The World (his official title).

Workplace 1: give or take about 100 MG cows, half with spring calves at foot, other half in calf. 2 mature bulls, 3 young bulls, about a dozen heifers to be joined, another dozen or so weaner heifer, probably a dozen weaner steers.

Workplace 2:
- 120 - 150 mature Boer does (half with kids at foot),
- 50 weanling does,
- 50 wethers in the feedlot,
- 20 working bucks of mixed ages,
- 60 or so Limo cows (a handful of these with calves at foot),
- 10ish replacement heifers,
- a couple of steers,
- 3 bulls,
- 1 donkey
- 2 mares (Arab x Aust. Riding Pony)
- 1 standard bred mare
- 1 Arab stallion
- 3 miniature mares
- 1 miniature stallion
- too many cats to count
- 4 stupid dogs who are supposed to work
- too many pigs (about a dozen)
- around about 500 roos

Ha, put it on your Things To Do Before You Die list. Its very nice. It has a pretty strong gamey flavour. Its a very dark meat, with a texture similar to beef. We use the backstrap for roasts and/or steaks, sometimes the leg for roasts as well, and the rest we dice and use in stews etc. It makes good jerky too. Roo stew is just about the nicest thing in the world.

Come dusk, all you have to do is look out the back door there will be 50 - 100 roos around 10 meters from the house. Dont even have to go outside with the rifle.

Actually get paid to pester 6,000 cows and 300 bulls, 30 or 40 asses and a dozen horses. Don't really know how many calves yet. Keeps a feller young.

Latest posts