Six foot wooden fence poles

Help Support CattleToday:

3MR

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used those six foot wood poles that are curved on one side and flat on the other. Advertised as siding, fencing, etc?

My neighbor used some to repair a fence we share. Im just wondering how good they will do.

If anybody has used them did you sink them one foot or two.

Are you referring to landscaping timbers? Flat on two sides round on two sides? If so here is my experience. Years ago these made pretty good fence posts. Today (IMHO) they are junk. I built a cross fence out of them trying to save some money and it cost me. 2-3 years and they have dried out and I can kick most over with my foot breaking them at the ground. Don't waste your time. Buy real posts. These landscaping timers as supposedly pressure treated but they don't last down here.

3MR":25kp6uh0 said:
Nope, those are 8 foot. These are six foot. They sell them at Lumber 2 for 1.99. Call them rustic log slabs.

http://www.lumber2.com/ads/lumber2_current_ad.pdf

There is a picture of them in the flyer about half way down in the fencing section.

I would not - too short and probably lots of second class wood that would require replacing sooner rather than later.

Bez>

We don't use anything wood since it will burn. And here, it will burn. Too many fires. I've lost fence before and it won't happen again. Pipe is cheaper in the long run. Even though I have cedar posts galore, I won't use them.

I don't use anything 6 foot. 6 foot T-Posts are not long enough to satisfy me.

3MR":3bulagpk said:
Has anybody ever used those six foot wood poles that are curved on one side and flat on the other. Advertised as siding, fencing, etc?

My neighbor used some to repair a fence we share. Im just wondering how good they will do.

If anybody has used them did you sink them one foot or two.

Those are the leftovers from turning "Peelers" into plywood.

Those little fast growing pine logs ain't worth crap.

A lot of our original fencing was done with them. These are oak and harder then a harlots heart. They do tend to rot off right at gorund level after (I would guess) 50-75 years since that's how long ago the place was first cleared and fenced

Boy, I looked at that ad and stuff is sure cheaper out there. Your panels are about $20 per cheaper than here. I just they figure with all the yanks down here they price them however they want. :x

I have been to Florida. I dont know how you guys survive on some of the prices you get charged for things.

I went and looked at some of the poles the neighbors had set in another field about three years ago. They sunk them about a foot and a half. They are all still solid and tight in the ground with no evidence of rotting.

Are you referring to landscaping timbers? Flat on two sides round on two sides? If so here is my experience. Years ago these made pretty good fence posts. Today (IMHO) they are junk. I built a cross fence out of them trying to save some money and it cost me. 2-3 years and they have dried out and I can kick most over with my foot breaking them at the ground. Don't waste your time. Buy real posts. These landscaping timers as supposedly pressure treated but they don't last down here.

What do you mean junk??? They are guarenteed for a whole year! (Prorated of course.) :p

I am in the process of building a pygmy goat pen for my kids. (You know what I mean) I figure the kids will get tired of the goats in a couple years so I don't want to put a whole lot of time and money into the fence so I am trying to get by as cheaply as possible. I bought a few of the landscape timbers for posts and even at $1.99 I felt like I was paying twice what they were worth.

I used lanscape timbers for post in a pasture 13 years ago. They are still solid.

3MR":2q6bn9he said:
I used lanscape timbers for post in a pasture 13 years ago. They are still solid.

Exactly my point. They used to be good. Now they are junk. I think they may be using soft wood in them now.

I know exactly what you mean. Seems like some of the ones you get today dont last overnight.

I have seen some good solid treated ones still out there, but they arent cheaper than the fence post anymore. AHHHH for the good ole days.

Some are going to be better than others. Some have more preservitive. There should be a tag that indicates weather it is for ground contact.
Bite the bullit, buy good posts. Building fence is way to much work to have to do it twice.

I agree with Nova .. buy the posts, OR if you can find some old telephone posts, they work too. I got several of those used for posts on my place.

Six foot is way too short. Friend of mine put up a wood fence for horses. He special ordered 4x4x6 posts. His whole place looks like a drunk put the fence up and its only been there 3 or 4 years.

Fellows, Im not using them. I was just asking because my neighbor used some to replace post in a shared fence.

I wouldn't use those log slabs, they don't look thick enough. We only use 4" 8' long posts and put them in about 2' deep. Perimeter fence when we replace it in the next few years will be at 4' centers, the bull and stallion pens are at 4' centers, and everything else is at 6' centers. The fence that divides the pasture is metal T posts and the current perimeter fence is T posts. We found a 3" wood post in the barn when we moved in and put it in the middle of a section of a calving pen and that very winter two cows were up and one pushed the other against that 3" post and it broke off at the ground. Sounded like a gunshot went off. Novatech said it best, fence is too much work to have to do it twice. Better to overbuild than under build in my opinion.

Hardware guy told me that landscape timbers are only dipped in preservative, not PT, so that is why they rot after a few years.

Latest posts