Sire look back - what have you experienced?

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq said:
We've used him for 4 years I think. My guys love the look. They are born small and grow like heck.

We had our first small batch of Hickok calves 3 weeks ago. They really ran the spectrum of size from quite small to quite large (small = 60lbs and large=90+). These all were from 6+ year old cows. Most of them were pretty vigorous and up and suckling within an hour of birth.

We used Hickok as an alternative to Hoover Dam. Our HD calves have always come very uniform and seem to hit the ground with some mass/fill. The Hickok calves seemed less filled, though their weights were similar to HD calves. But they do seem to be growing well despite the weather (we had 3 inches of snow last night in SW MN).

We are planning on using HD this year and see how these Hickok animals perform.

Stickney94 said:
hornedfrogbbq said:
We've used him for 4 years I think. My guys love the look. They are born small and grow like heck.

We had our first small batch of Hickok calves 3 weeks ago. They really ran the spectrum of size from quite small to quite large (small = 60lbs and large=90+). These all were from 6+ year old cows. Most of them were pretty vigorous and up and suckling within an hour of birth.

We used Hickok as an alternative to Hoover Dam. Our HD calves have always come very uniform and seem to hit the ground with some mass/fill. The Hickok calves seemed less filled, though their weights were similar to HD calves. But they do seem to be growing well despite the weather (we had 3 inches of snow last night in SW MN).

We are planning on using HD this year and see how these Hickok animals perform.

How do your HD come shape wise? I am strongly considering using him on some heifers that I'm expecting to be a little larger framed. Main goal making replacements.I bred all of my heifers to Hickok, so I hope they don't come 90lbs.

We are breeding alot of Hickok heifers to Hoover Dam this year. Excited for replacements.

T & B farms said:
How do your HD come shape wise? I am strongly considering using him on some heifers that I'm expecting to be a little larger framed. Main goal making replacements.I bred all of my heifers to Hickok, so I hope they don't come 90lbs.

Our HD calves have always been really consistent in terms of size/structure and have come without assistance. We've used HD on heifers and cows. We've used HD on both PB angus and with some Jersey/X and never had any calving issues.

The calves are usually in the 80 lb range from cows. 60-70 lbs from heifers. It seems like HD calves flesh out from the get go and that just continues. I just love their phenotype. They have a rump. They look stout. Excellent demeanor.

I've been reluctant to post about Hickok because I have such a small sample size. But I also know people are making AI decisions now. I have 2 more batches of Hickok still coming. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

T & B farms said:

I originally bred HD to some large framed old cows (the last of my dad's herd). The results were definitely a more moderate height. They are still well built/stout, but definitely shorter. I would say HD's MH/MW EPDs are accurate in that regard.

Stickney94 said:
T & B farms said:

I originally bred HD to some large framed old cows (the last of my dad's herd). The results were definitely a more moderate height. They are still well built/stout, but definitely shorter. I would say HD's MH/MW EPDs are accurate in that regard.

Just what I'm Wanting. Does he seem to improve udders? Teat size and attachment

T & B farms said:
Just what I'm Wanting. Does he seem to improve udders? Teat size and attachment

I'd probably defer to someone else on teats/udders. My dad's old cows were very fertile (11+ year old) but their udders were far from ideal. The HD daughters from those cows all have better udders/teats but that was a pretty low bar to improve upon.

Latest posts