What happened to Connealy Clarity?

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau

Reaction score
I was looking recently looking through a group of sale catalogs from various well known and some lesser known seed-stock producers. I wanted to see what bulls they had selected to produce the offerings in those catalogs. As usual most had used many of the same list of bulls. You might expect there would have been some well proven bulls in that list, but most were young sires with little if any proof on the ground when those cows were bred. Connealy Clarity was in that list. He was a 2019 bull who would have been too young to have had any calves when these producers were buying semen to breed cows in 2020 to produce the calves born in 2021 that are now being sold in 2022. His offspring were being described as "rare" and "valuable" and one breeder was selling some semen and a flush of embryos. It was noted in the catalog that he was now deceased. I was curious if anyone on here had heard how he died? I would expect he was put down because of an injury, but I am always curious whenever a high priced bull is dead and gone so soon.

Clarity was born in February of 2019 and purchased by ST Genetics in March of 2020 for $60,000 per the AAA websites sales reports. ST Genetics also purchased Connealy Constitution for $215,000 at that same sale. I can't find either one listed in the Spring 2022 catalog, so I don't know what happened to Constitution either. I did see a picture of Constitution when I searched for him, so he was once listed on ST genetic's website, but he was not in the list when I logged in.

I was looking recently looking through a group of sale catalogs from various well known and some lesser known seed-stock producers. I wanted to see what bulls they had selected to produce the offerings in those catalogs. As usual most had used many of the same list of bulls. You might expect there would have been some well proven bulls in that list, but most were young sires with little if any proof on the ground when those cows were bred. Connealy Clarity was in that list. He was a 2019 bull who would have been too young to have had any calves when these producers were buying semen to breed cows in 2020 to produce the calves born in 2021 that are now being sold in 2022. His offspring were being described as "rare" and "valuable" and one breeder was selling some semen and a flush of embryos. It was noted in the catalog that he was now deceased. I was curious if anyone on here had heard how he died? I would expect he was put down because of an injury, but I am always curious whenever a high priced bull is dead and gone so soon.

Clarity was born in February of 2019 and purchased by ST Genetics in March of 2020 for $60,000 per the AAA websites sales reports. ST Genetics also purchased Connealy Constitution for $215,000 at that same sale. I can't find either one listed in the Spring 2022 catalog, so I don't know what happened to Constitution either. I did see a picture of Constitution when I searched for him, so he was once listed on ST genetic's website, but he was not in the list when I logged in.

The last two straws that I saw sell sold for $800 a piece. That was last year.

"Clarity continues to be a very popular bull in the breed. His untimely death has made his semen rare and hard to come by. We originally bought the Clarity semen as a feed efficiency outcross sire. He is a bull that is getting high praise across the country. Don't miss out on this chance as the chances are running out."

"Untimely death" leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Personally I would be real hesitant to buy semen on a bull that wasn't able to survive to 3 years old, even if straws were sold at a bargain price. What happened? Was he injured and might that be a structural concern? Quit producing semen - fertility issues? Struck by lightning? I may be way too suspicious, but every time this happens (and it seems to happen fairly often) my mind goes right to this thought: "He wasn't producing calves that were as good as the hype, so he was worth more collecting on an insurance claim."

Why is everyone always so vague when it comes to "untimely death" of high priced bulls?

"Untimely death" leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Personally I would be real hesitant to buy semen on a bull that wasn't able to survive to 3 years old, even if straws were sold at a bargain price. What happened? Was he injured and might that be a structural concern? Quit producing semen - fertility issues? Struck by lightning? I may be way too suspicious, but every time this happens (and it seems to happen fairly often) my mind goes right to this thought: "He wasn't producing calves that were as good as the hype, so he was worth more collecting on an insurance claim."

Why is everyone always so vague when it comes to "untimely death" of high priced bulls?
I agree and why I'm so leery of using young unproven bulls, I bought semen of a son of Rainfall last year. Now he has died and Rainfall's don Fownpour has. The reasons for Rainfall's death have varied and no clarification from the owners. I have used very little of the semen I purchased. Did put one straw in a commercial cow. I have decided to use mainly older proven sires after I use up some of the semen in my tank. May pour some on the ground. IMO there is no reason not to be transparent. By being silent the rumors abound. I have read 3 different causes for Rainfall's death and all claimed they knew. Two have to be false. I can't say there is an issue or not but by being silent it sure makes you wonder.

I agree and why I'm so leery of using young unproven bulls, I bought semen of a son of Rainfall last year. Now he has died and Rainfall's don Fownpour has. The reasons for Rainfall's death have varied and no clarification from the owners. I have used very little of the semen I purchased. Did put one straw in a commercial cow. I have decided to use mainly older proven sires after I use up some of the semen in my tank. May pour some on the ground. IMO there is no reason not to be transparent. By being silent the rumors abound. I have read 3 different causes for Rainfall's death and all claimed they knew. Two have to be false. I can't say there is an issue or not but by being silent it sure makes you wonder.
Rainfall's don Fownpour has???

I'm not sure what you were trying to say there.
Did Rainfall and his son both die? From which son did you buy semen? This is what I mean about too many young high priced bulls being gone before they are even proven bulls. No wonder insurance is so high. It is getting harder and harder to find a proven bull with daughters in production in a semen catalog.

Rainfall's don Fownpour has???

I'm not sure what you were trying to say there.
Did Rainfall and his son both die? From which son did you buy semen? This is what I mean about too many young high priced bulls being gone before they are even proven bulls. No wonder insurance is so high. It is getting harder and harder to find a proven bull with daughters in production in a semen catalog.
I'm guessing their fingers were just off a key on the board... Son Downpour.... and yes, transparency would be nice, I doubt the amount of semen left is going to make or break them, but it's their business, I guess.

Call/Message Conneally Angus.

I have found that the vast majority of seedstock producers are very willing to answer questions.

I don't know anything about Clarity -- but I do know that bizarre injuries happen to all cattle and high dollar AI bulls aren't immune.

That is EXACTLY why Brian McCulloh wanted ORIgen to explain WHY Woodhill Relevance died. The bull died less than a couple of years after he sold to ABS. Brian didn't want anyone to think that there was something funny going on, so it was stated that he died from an infection. I remember the death notice being quite explicit.

That is EXACTLY why Brian McCulloh wanted ORIgen to explain WHY Woodhill Relevance died. The bull died less than a couple of years after he sold to ABS. Brian didn't want anyone to think that there was something funny going on, so it was stated that he died from an infection. I remember the death notice being quite explicit.
What sort of infection?

Ken

Our John Wayne bull got an infection while at stud that has apparently rendered him sterile. He was producing right along then BAM. Done. First calves have been hitting the ground and the limited amount of semen that's out there has been bringing $3-600. Unfortunately stuff happens and it seems to happen at a higher rate to bulls that at stud and not living a "normal" life.

Our John Wayne bull got an infection while at stud that has apparently rendered him sterile. He was producing right along then BAM. Done. First calves have been hitting the ground and the limited amount of semen that's out there has been bringing $3-600. Unfortunately stuff happens and it seems to happen at a higher rate to bulls that at stud and not living a "normal" life.
It's the frustration...

Latest posts