Wrong sire

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We sent in DNA on 2 spring calves and 1 of them had conflicts. It was close to the sire I said it was.... but the computer kicked it out.
I am very good with our records so I KNEW I had the right straw. šŸ˜
So the association ran an entire herd check and found the sire. I was pretty disappointed until I found out it was an even better bull as it was the sire of the sire I thought I had.
I normally only check one straw in the cane when I receive them. Evidently the name of the sire and his progeny was so close that someone made a mistake when they sent the 6 straws to me.
We have 2 more pregnant right now with that same semen so we are unsure who the sire is... all we know is either way it's a winner !
I do not always check the name on a straw when we work the girls because I'm the only one that puts anything in the can so I know the canes are labeled correctly and correspond to the log... And I can't hardly read the letters under pressure. LoL
I ended up getting old foundation stock bull that has much better epd. šŸ™‚
Easily mistaken.
Shigeshigetani vs Shigeshigetani 30 T

IMG_20231022_144330334_HDR.jpg

nice that you ended up with a bull that you liked better, but next time it may be the opposite. I thought most major studs use stud codes rather than bull names for semen shipments. safer and less confusion. where do you get your semen from? Hope you notified them about the mix-up so they correct their shipping problem. Congratulations on keeping good records and DNA testing especially if you sell stock.

Does the association penalize you in any way for the mix up ? They shouldn't, but you never know ! šŸ¤”

nice that you ended up with a bull that you liked better, but next time it may be the opposite. I thought most major studs use stud codes rather than bull names for semen shipments. safer and less confusion. where do you get your semen from? Hope you notified them about the mix-up so they correct their shipping problem. Congratulations on keeping good records and DNA testing especially if you sell stock.
At this point I am not sure if it was just one straw out of the six. But I know I seen the correct name when I originally checked one straw upon receiving.
So might be one straw or could be more.
Our semen comes from all over the United States and Australia and South Africa.

Does the association penalize you in any way for the mix up ? They shouldn't, but you never know ! šŸ¤”
No not at all.
We don't have anything but registered cattle and semen from registered cattle.
The only way it would be a problem if they couldn't find a sire in the database.
In that case I wouldn't be able to register the calf.

Latest posts