"SINGLE TRAIT" - selection mistake!

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS

Reaction score
There has been a considerable amount of rhetoric and argument over the past several months - sometimes even lurching into heated controversy - regarding the advisability (or inadvisability) of selecting seedstock on the basis of "Single Trait Selection" choices. Some members of this Forum have even gone so far as to sarcastically and sardonically infer that the utilization of "Single Trait Selection" was not a negative connotation, and moreover, was a desirable protocol to be exploited for more rapid changes in "characteristic" genetics. Functional traits and characteristics (how an animal "performs" in its lifetime) with regard to longevity and general increases to it's "worth" embraces the basic understanding of Value of an animal. Assuming that focusing intently on one trait, and ignoring the elimination of concomitant desirable traits that may be affected in the process, is faulty beef selection practices. Concentrating on very low BW EPD's, and very high Milk EPD's - resulting in loss of Skeletal Muscularity and lowered REA measurements is a case in point. Increasing Marbling EPD's MAY result in elevated Yield Grade 4's - is another example!

This paragraph was taken from a current article on handling the calving agendas of first calf heifers. ("CARCASS DATA MAINTAINS PRODUCER FOCUS") The speaker is a breeder who has calved literally thousands and thousands of heifers over the years - give or take 700 every year! I would bow to his rather extensive experience and knowledge. He has "--been there and done that"!

Genetic make-up of individuals is considerably more predictable than following some cockamamie, unproven, hair-brained idea made out of whole cloth!

"We had been concerned about percent choice as we re-stocked the ranch after a bad drought. We selected heifers that had better marbling through ultrasound data," Healy says. "It didn't take long to figure out we had improved marbling and increased the percentage of yield grade 4s. It took several years to realize this and it will take several years to make a change. If we didn't feed our cattle and get data, this could have gone on for a long time. Buyers would have discounted our calves and we wouldn't have known why we couldn't improve."

Experience!

DOC HARRIS

marbling is a function of genetics, YG4 is a function of feeding. If you are really selecting for marbling then you shouldn't have to feed to a high BF end point to achieve higher grading carcasses. Did this particular operation detail and increase in %Choice and Prime? Was the change significant? Perhaps the selection tool for marbling in this instance (Ultrasound) gave a snapshot of the herd that was either incorrect or subject to misinterpretation?

That really isn't any surprise is it? But did they receive enough of a premium for the additional choice and prime to make up for the higher yield grades? They could start selecting for more REA and end up with larger maturing, later maturing and poorer maternal cows too or they could select for less BF and end up with harder fleshing cows that take more feed to winter and under any scenario, they may be worse off than they are now. I don't know the operation, but it sounds to me like they maybe haven't learned their lesson. Single trait selection for IMF resulted in lower YGs but now it sounds like they may be single trait selecting for lower YGs. What traits will they give up in this quest?

Brian

When a commercial outfit starts selecting for feedlot traits over maternal ones it usually doesn't work to well-made the mistake myself. In Angus most are sufficient in carcass traits ruining a maternal herd trying to make them yield like exotics is a step back-it would be like a feedlot guy perusing maternal milk epd's. No breed does all things the best-keep raising cows to fit your ranch and bulls to fit your market. I've seen some big ootfits make even bigger genetic booboos.

I agree with Robert. One angus bull that has high marbling and high yield is B/R Ambush 28, Sizmic can confirm it, as can others. The key is selecting the animals that can do it all. 28 is also said to be highly maternal and it doesn't hurt that he is #2 in $B. :tiphat:

Here's the entire article that DOC references. IMO, it's worth reading the entire thing rather than just his selected paragraph:

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2010/February/CT2158.php

Here's another paragraph:

Brahman-influenced breeds have taken their share of criticism from the feeding sector. Brangus genetics have made progress through the years working to find the balance and having a successful product.

KMacGinley":2p2j5j1p said:
Northern Rancher":2p2j5j1p said:
Don't ask questions you know the answer too!!

I have no idea what ACR thinks highly maternal means.

If you know what maternal means, add highly to it. If you do not know what maternal means, you might be in the wrong business. Websters has a definition for highly, and should have one for maternal also. :dunce:

In 1994, Roy Beeby said:

Among the maternal traits that are being neglected in conventional performance testing
are; Soundness, Disposition, Early Sexual Maturity, Prompt Conception, Calving Ease, Mothering Ability, Regularity of Calving, Optimum Milk Production, Foraging Ability, Cow Efficiency, and Longevity.

That's still mostly true today.

George

I agree, but be careful. You're apt to confuse some people.

It is but it ISN'T!

Time for George to post up the South Carolinian again.

Herefords.US":3dv6hrut said:
In 1994, Roy Beeby said:

Among the maternal traits that are being neglected in conventional performance testing
are; Soundness, Disposition, Early Sexual Maturity, Prompt Conception, Calving Ease, Mothering Ability, Regularity of Calving, Optimum Milk Production, Foraging Ability, Cow Efficiency, and Longevity.

That's still mostly true today.

George

The Angus Assn now has a Docility EPD (Disposition), the NALF has had that EPD for years. The Angus Assn has a Heifer Pregnancy EPD. Most breeds have a calving ease EPD and a milk EPD. "Optimum" milk will depend on your operation. Red Angus has a Longevity EPD. The Angus Assn has a "Cow Energy Value ($EN) " EPD that expresses differences in cow energy requirements (efficiency). So I'd respectfully disagree with you that measuring these traits are being neglected. They're hard to measure because many of them are strongly related to management.

WichitaLineMan":aqqmpa81 said:
I agree, but be careful. You're apt to confuse some people.

It is but it ISN'T!

Time for George to post up the South Carolinian again.

Would it be safe to say it's a environmental trait.

Latest posts