simple to some, my cows will be treated the best we can

Help Support CattleToday:

little creek

Reaction score
The above subject title says it all, as too why I ask, what may seem like stupit questions to some. As this forum knows by now I hope, I spent most of my life in the military. I know how to kill alot of people quickly, but know nothing about raising cattle. I trust this forum and get better answers than asking any ag. agent, hardware, fert. agent/company. Now the question? I have an area for holding cattle about say 5000 sq feet. I want to put out lime and a fertilizer. Can I go to say Walmart and get the lime and say 10-10-10 fertilizer. What ratio fertilizer should I get for the grass to give my cattle the most for the buck? Thanks, Little Creek.

little creek":ejnf48ai said:
Now the question? I have an area for holding cattle about say 5000 sq feet. I want to put out lime and a fertilizer. Can I go to say Walmart and get the lime and say 10-10-10 fertilizer. What ratio fertilizer should I get for the grass to give my cattle the most for the buck? Thanks, Little Creek.

Little Creek, I would suggest you talk to your extension office and take in a soil sample for testing. That way you will know exactly how much of what you need to treat this area with and will not be paying for something you may not need, or not putting down something you do need.

msscamp":34n3b2go said:
little creek":34n3b2go said:
Now the question? I have an area for holding cattle about say 5000 sq feet. I want to put out lime and a fertilizer. Can I go to say Walmart and get the lime and say 10-10-10 fertilizer. What ratio fertilizer should I get for the grass to give my cattle the most for the buck? Thanks, Little Creek.

Little Creek, I would suggest you talk to your extension office and take in a soil sample for testing. That way you will know exactly how much of what you need to treat this area with and will not be paying for something you may not need, or not putting down something you do need.

I agree with msscamp. Take in a soil sample for testing.

Littlecreek,

After you check with you County Extension Office and get the soil sample test results, check around with some of the cattleman in your area and see where they get their fertlizer?

Anythime you can buy in bulk, rather is 50# bags, you will be better. Most areas in the south either have a County CO-OP or Feedmill which will sell you custom blended fertlizer by the ton. My CO-OP will either spread the fertlizer for a small fee or will allow you to use their fertlizer buddy which will haul several tons of fertlizer.

This past Thursday I put 1.82 tons of 19-19-19 on my Costal Bermuda pasture. The fertlizer ran me about $582.00.

Maw, you're so smart. You know just what to put down without testin nothin. I wanta be just like you when I grow up. jp

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3lucxh09 said:
You need to get 19-19-19 put 300 pounds per acre. Actually you should have already done this in march-april as that is when we get the most rain. 19-19-19 will really make the grass come on after rain. We buy ours at the coop. You will have to have a spreader or rent one to spread it. I dont think walmart sales 19-19-19 and if they do its probably reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal expensive.
an acre has 43,000 some odd sq ft.
he wants to do 5000.
lets see that would be one quick circle with a cart.
I'd suggest a soil test first also.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3j8dbw3v said:
You need to get 19-19-19 put 300 pounds per acre. Actually you should have already done this in march-april as that is when we get the most rain. 19-19-19 will really make the grass come on after rain. We buy ours at the coop. You will have to have a spreader or rent one to spread it. I dont think walmart sales 19-19-19 and if they do its probably reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal expensive.

Will you help me build a rocket?

Turnmyjawloosemaw, I can't help with the rocket, but will be glad to tell you where the nukes were 15 years ago and let you do what you want with them. I think I have the answer I need about the holding area. I want waste my time with the fert. because ya'll are right. This area is too small. They can get their food needs in the soil sampled pastures that has the right fert. applied to them. Thanks to all. Little Creek.

little creek":2cx54g79 said:
The above subject title says it all, as too why I ask, what may seem like stupit questions to some. As this forum knows by now I hope, I spent most of my life in the military. I know how to kill alot of people quickly, but know nothing about raising cattle. I trust this forum and get better answers than asking any ag. agent, hardware, fert. agent/company. Now the question? I have an area for holding cattle about say 5000 sq feet. I want to put out lime and a fertilizer. Can I go to say Walmart and get the lime and say 10-10-10 fertilizer. What ratio fertilizer should I get for the grass to give my cattle the most for the buck? Thanks, Little Creek.

Little Creek,

Hit up your county agent for advice. Then find out from the neighbours where to buy fertilizer. Msscamp is on the mark there.

If you work it right, the place you buy fert from may do your tests for nothing as long as you buy from them. Find out exactly how much land you are talking about - seems there may be some lack of knowledge there - but no prob - you can get smart in a hurry.

Stay away from the cattle if until you know how many you can definitely support without having to go out and buy feed. Your neighbours can help here if your agent is unavailable.

Be advised it seems there may be a downward trend on cattle pricing - so you do not need to be in a hurry to buy.

Get your infrastructure up and working first. Including a nice - very high - solid pen - wood / steel / whatever - for your animals when they arrive - keeps you from chasing them across the county trying to round them up. Mine is 6 feet - and yeah some will laugh - but there are cattle who can clear 5 foot stuff with no effort.

If you are talking a correct area - it is small. Probably too small for cows. But if you do get cows - two is minimum - they are a herd animal.

Spend as little as possible - stay cheap - you cannot make a buck if you spend more than they will bring at market.

Have fun and good luck.

Bez!

Thanks bez, I have six replacement heifers at this time. I have just put 22 ac. under fence. It is divided in half 11 ac fence across then 11 ac on the other side. My family will buy the other cows, heifers, calves, or a bull. When I got them they were around 600lbs. They will be one year old in July, and now weigh around 900lbs. They are on alicia bermuda pastures and it is around 8 inches tall in the field that I just moved them in yesterday. They are pretty heifers right now. Thanks again.

little creek":2iw4yqw1 said:
Thanks bez, I have six replacement heifers at this time. I have just put 22 ac. under fence. It is divided in half 11 ac fence across then 11 ac on the other side. My family will buy the other cows, heifers, calves, or a bull. When I got them they were around 600lbs. They will be one year old in July, and now weigh around 900lbs. They are on alicia bermuda pastures and it is around 8 inches tall in the field that I just moved them in yesterday. They are pretty heifers right now. Thanks again.

Sounds like you are on the right track - but heifers? Hmmmm...

You can have a lot of probs if you are a newbie.

I would not add to the herd until I knew exactly how much I can support.

You might try AI initially - or get yourself a light weight bull to cover them. Have fun.

Bez!

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":f6yf0n3f said:
Fertilizer application depends on the species of grass. Fescue needs a topdressing of fertilizer in late winter/early spring. Bermuda and Bahia are best fertilized in spring and early summer for grazing.

Latest posts