Simple recessive genes - FCS

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259":2mibbeql said:
My best females are out of him and I presently run a son out of a retail product dam that's the best cleanup bull I've ever owned. EPDs are very balanced and they carry great muscle. Here's a clip where two units took $900 each at the National Western Angus Foundation Female Sale in 2008.

http://livestockplusinc.com/NewsDetail. ... wsItemID=7

RD Sam - it's probably worthless either way unless they test . . . except, if someone knowingly uses a dirty bull the offspring are automatically not registerable . . . is that correct? Then, I see your point.

They probably won't set a time frame until they validate the test, once that is done, you only have so much time to register offspring from carriers, but they have to be tested. After the allotted time, then carriers cannot be used.

angus9259":32vbkmbe said:
Bandolier's been at that price for quite a while. They had 800 units sell at the Sunny Valley dispersal that I think took almost $900 a straw with sunny valley retaining 1/3 interest somehow. must have gone to a semen supplier - I saw the genex wagon there. Seems like with that kind of investment he'd get tested.

Must still be some "moldy money" laying around in the world.... ;-)

Rats - 7 to test. Guess I can't complain, I only had to test 3 total for the other defects. Fingers crossed, I have some really good animals in the mix. Thanks heavens the herd bull are non carrier ancestors!!!
Valerie

vclavin":19m7xqju said:
Rats - 7 to test. Guess I can't complain, I only had to test 3 total for the other defects. Fingers crossed, I have some really good animals in the mix. Thanks heavens the herd bull are non carrier ancestors!!!
Valerie

I'm still waiting on SAF Strategy who ABS lists as pending ... If he comes back clean- I'll have dodged another bullet with none to test....All of his littermate bulls and maternal brothers are CAF... (praying emoticon)

I have a lot of SVF Bandolier. At $1000 per straw, they probably won't test him either.

I'm not rushing to test though . . . there are still a lot of animals that I'm sure will get tested out before I need to. Just hope someone finds a way to get that Bandolier tested.

Bandolier is being tested this week.

krenwic":s7qimnxw said:
I have a lot of SVF Bandolier. At $1000 per straw, they probably won't test him either.

I'm not rushing to test though . . . there are still a lot of animals that I'm sure will get tested out before I need to. Just hope someone finds a way to get that Bandolier tested.

Thanks for the update. Do you know who sent in the sample . . . or perhaps they had blood retained at a genetics lab already?

krenwic wrote:

Thanks for the update. Do you know who sent in the sample . . . or perhaps they had blood retained at a genetics lab already?

Yes, I know the person who sent the sample. He shipped a straw to Dr. Beever's lab.

krenwic":3nblhpbz said:
Yes, I know the person who sent the sample. He shipped a straw to Dr. Beever's lab.

Wow . . . that stinks at multiple levels. If he's clean, he's just blown a straw of bandolier - that's what I call taking one for the team. If he's dirty, he's out all of them. Pass on my condolences either way.

>>Wow . . . that stinks at multiple levels. If he's clean, he's just blown a straw of bandolier - that's what I call taking one for the team. If he's dirty, he's out all of them. Pass on my condolences either way.<<

Are you kidding me? The guy is doing the right thing. He should be congratulated! Kudos from me. Many more breeders need a set of cajones like this guy has.

I guess by 9259's post we can discern that he has a set of grapes (or raisins)!

angus9259":2qb6vz92 said:
krenwic":2qb6vz92 said:

Wow . . . that stinks at multiple levels. If he's clean, he's just blown a straw of bandolier - that's what I call taking one for the team. If he's dirty, he's out all of them. Pass on my condolences either way.
i doubt that,, he'll get reimbursed some how... but if i were those others who had all that money tied up in that semen id be sweatin' bullets right about now

WichitaLineMan":35yg8i5b said:
>>Wow . . . that stinks at multiple levels. If he's clean, he's just blown a straw of bandolier - that's what I call taking one for the team. If he's dirty, he's out all of them. Pass on my condolences either way.<<

Are you kidding me? The guy is doing the right thing. He should be congratulated! Kudos from me. Many more breeders need a set of cajones like this guy has.

I guess by 9259's post we can discern that he has a set of grapes (or raisins)!

Read the post again . . .

Notice I passed along my condolences. It's regrettable that he had to do it, though honorable that he did.

Also notice I used the phrase "taking one for the team". It's a euphemism suggesting he was sacrificial in his giving such that the rest of us, "the team" as it were, would be better off. This saying is used frequently in sports such as when a hitter offers a "sacrifice fly" in order to place another runner in better scoring position.

Still, it stinks for him at multiple levels as I detailed in the original post - which is unfortunate for someone (the donor - the hitter of the sacrifice fly, etc) who generously gives what they have for the betterment of the breed.

Sorry to have gotten your panties in a bunch when we were saying the same thing.

Don't read too much into it. When you have a bunch of females to test, this is a no brainer. If he's free, you cut cartwheels (and it will have been more than worth putting up the straw). If he's a carrier, you go back and test.

krenwic":2qydo4i6 said:
Don't read too much into it. When you have a bunch of females to test, this is a no brainer. If he's free, you cut cartwheels (and it will have been more than worth putting up the straw). If he's a carrier, you go back and test.

Let us know if you hear anything. Thanks.

I see this morning on ABS's website they have changed Strategy from "pending" to CAF... :D
That means I dodged a bullet and may get away without testing any... :D :D

angus9259":33w1n1k9 said:

The results are in, he is CAF.

RD-Sam":1f7songn said:
angus9259":1f7songn said:

The results are in, he is CAF.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This has been verified by my partner as of this evening. Thanks for the assistance RD.

I think my heart stopped when I saw there was a post from you on here. This seems so inadequate but . . . . :banana:

angus9259":3j0m0hcx said:
I think my heart stopped when I saw there was a post from you on here. This seems so inadequate but . . . . :banana:

I don't know why it hasn't shown up yet on the AAA website, but Dr. Beever sent a confirmation e-mail yesterday. Those are all the details I know at this point.

Latest posts