Simmy heifer...comments please

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":147dpcd3 said:
I would have swore that was a Jersey cross...

Same here. I won't swear on the Bible that is NOT a Sim-Angus cross.......BUT he is certainly not typical of the pairing.

Good looking Angus genetics. Simm's are not black.

I guess this is proof that the "GURU" tag on this site is in reference only to post count and not actual knowledge of the beef industry.

Purebred Simmental?? I have doubts about that.

The picture in the original post is about as typical a picture of a Simmental as it gets for the past 5-8 years or so.

To the people who think that first picture is a SimAngus, Simmentals have to be 7/8 or more to be registered as heifers and the blacks have been around since the 80s. Bulls have to be 15/16 and have been black for just as long. Red and white cattle are long gone in all but the Flekvieh Simmental herds. It's not hard to keep a dominant trait through multiple generations.

The second picture looks like it could a cross with Simmental and something else or Angus and something else but not Simmental and Angus. I don't think I've ever seen a true F1 SimAngus with any pattern other than solid black/red or blazed faced red/black.

Ratfish":3p5d7o4t said:
We have a simmental x angus cross steer that I think is 1:1
DSC01621.JPG

Maybe I am immune to the marketing or something but I like black cattle the least.

There is dairy in that animal, and I am guessing it could be Jersey. Narrow hips, ribby sides, coloring ...... if someone told you that animal was Simm/Angus cross they ought to be slapped for lying.

Third Row,there may some cases where GURU status is earned simply by the number of posts made but in Caustic's case, that ain't so. And yes, Simmentals, in their pure state, aren't black. They are red and white. Black Simms carry Angus blood even if it was introduced 20 years ago. Black Simms are basically a composite type of cattle.

And yes, Simmentals, in their pure state, aren't black. They are red and white. Black Simms carry Angus blood even if it was introduced 20 years ago. Black Simms are basically a composite type of cattle.

Ahem.... if we are going to get technical alot of ANGUS today are not 100% ANGUS either. So I guess several of them are basically a composite too. And also just because Simi`s, Limi`s, and some of the other breeds that have incorporated black animals into their breed does not always mean the black came from Angus. Beating a dead horse because its all been discussed on here before.

BTW.... The original question/reason for posting the pic.. JDI, nice looking heifer. She should make you a nice cow.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Black Simms are basically a composite type of cattle.

lol @ you. What is it about this website that makes people pretend to be experts when they really don't know what they're talking about? Those kinds of attitudes are what makes it easy to differentiate between cattlemen and weekend farmers who have bigger mouths than brains.

Just so you don't embarrass yourself in front of real people SimAngus, Maintainers, most Chianina, Lim-Flex, etc are composites, not Simmentals.

May I ask why you insist on holding on to a 20 year old idea of what a breed is? The only people raising red and white spotted cattle any more are Flekvieh breeders.

Third Row":3gih2w29 said:
Black Simms are basically a composite type of cattle.

lol @ you. What is it about this website that makes people pretend to be experts when they really don't know what they're talking about? Those kinds of attitudes are what makes it easy to differentiate between cattlemen and weekend farmers who have bigger mouths than brains.

Just so you don't embarrass yourself in front of real people SimAngus, Maintainers, most Chianina, Lim-Flex, etc are composites, not Simmentals.

May I ask why you insist on holding on to a 20 year old idea of what a breed is? The only people raising red and white
spotted cattle any more are Flekvieh breeders.

;-) Where did the black color come from in the simms?

That's already been discussed in this thread, take 10 seconds to read.

Bottom line, the heifer in the original picture is a great little Simmi heifer and a kid should be proud of her. She shouldn't come on here and get blasted by @$$ holes with an axe to grind over somebody stealing their breed's extension gene two decades ago.

Hi just wanted to tell you nice heifer / also dont let anyone tell you theres not black simma / i have looked at them as bulls. pure breed. well anyway great heifer.im sure some will knock her but few can beat her. Lots luck with her...

Nice PUREBRED BLACK SIMMENTAL.
Angus lovers and those jeolous of the improvement of any breed, love to bash "black" Simmental, and like to take the credit for how great the Simmental breed has become. As Doc Harris reported on a different thread, after several generations of "upgrading", there are miniscule genes left in the modern upgraded animal.
According to Cornell U (they handle the EPD's for ASA), of ALL the registered BLACK SIMMENTAL, there is an AVERAGE of 8% "other genes" - THIS IS AN AVERAGE OF ALL BLACK SIMMENTALS - meaning the 1/2 bloods are included, so most PUREBRED isn't carrying enough "ANGUS" genes to make squat difference in the animal. Black hair does not make or break the quality of the animal - just "really helps" market culled MALE STEERS - CAB PROGRAM - really love it!!!!

True Angus breeders respect and admire the qualities of the Simmental breed, and appreciate the new modern AMERICAN made Simmental cattle. The AMERICAN Angus has changed a lot over the years also. And yes, there are many PUREBRED Angus breeders taking advantage of the new modern BLACK Simmental to produce those great Simangus cattle.

This has been hashed over about as much as the CAB program - let's grow up & "get real".

And yes, that SimmXAng steer looks more like a Jersey cross. That is an embarressment to the true Simangus cattle.

Thanks for all the reply's...I know all the hype about black cattle..no black simmentals..ect. I just look for moma cows in the future....when I buy a heifer I'm not really interested if she is going to win the show ever time out. I'm interested in a moma cow that when bred to the right bull the calf will be better than the mating...my main goal is to raise the quality of my herd with each mating...botton line.....Thanks!!!!

PS: I raise Simbrah but have recently bought a few simmys to use as 3/4 blood to introduce new blood to my herd...

The continental breed animals that have attained "purebred" status are those that were bred up from other breeds. Fullbloods weren't bred up from something else so in theory anyway are 100% of the specified breed. If a Simmenthal, or Gelbvieh, Charolais or whatever continental breed was bred up from Brown Swiss you couldn't tell the diference between "fullblood" and "purebred". But because a black gened something was used at one time and the black gene is still present you get the controversy about "it ain;t really a (insert breed of choice here)".

dun

Dun, you are correct, except the FULLBLOODS aren't 100% either!!! :p After a huge controversy centered around some imported animals that papers were PULLED due to the fact that they had as much Angus and Hereford genes in them then Simmental - now "fullblood" status must have 5 generations of "fullblood" cattle. Imported, or American bred, "fullbloods" also can have "tainted" genes. But, because they are being bred with traditional colored cattle, no one questions their SIMMENTAL status.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":u7izin7l said:
Dun, you are correct, except the FULLBLOODS aren't 100% either!!! :p After a huge controversy centered around some imported animals that papers were PULLED due to the fact that they had as much Angus and Hereford genes in them then Simmental - now "fullblood" status must have 5 generations of "fullblood" cattle. Imported, or American bred, "fullbloods" also can have "tainted" genes. But, because they are being bred with traditional colored cattle, no one questions their SIMMENTAL status.

That's why I included "in theory"

dun

A full blood animal here in Australia is one that has a direct line on both sides of the pedigree to those of their country of origin. A pure bred is an animal that has been graded up.There are lots of cattle breeds that will never be able to ever be called fullbloods,because of adulteration by another breed in the quest to change their structure,colour etc. I have some fullblood South Devons and some purebred (graded up) ones.I have some fullblood English embryos that I am only going to use.
Colin

Quote:
nice looking heifer. She should make you a nice cow.

Circle H Ranch

I think thats a steer - at least thats what the plumbing looks like

I`m sorry but if you see anything that looks like a steer under that calf you might need to clean your monitor or have your glasses checked. Also if you read the posts about half are confirming its a heifer. What are you seeing that we are not???

Circle H Ranch

Lovely heffer no matter what color or breed - good feet,legs-just nice all over..

Latest posts